1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dish Network scam?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Hey guys, hoping to get a lil help on this.
    I was planning to switch to Dish Network and had the technicians come out to setup my service. I was just gonna get a basic receiver and DVR setup but when the technicians got to my apt, they informed me I had no LOS-Line of Sight for the Western arc and needed to upgrade to an HD-Mpeg 4 receiver to get the Line of sight needed. This would cost me $75 to do apparently. I told them I'd get back to them after consulting with my people(You guys :) )

I spoke w/ another Dish Network technician and he told me it was BS, If they couldnt set up my service/receive a good signal with the regular receiver then an HD receiver wouldnt make a difference.

I just want to know what y'all think. Were the 1st technicians I spoke with full of *****?

Thanks fellas.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like BS, why would your receiver matter if you could not get signal to begin with.
    Do you happen to be a minority, or live in a working class neighborhood?

3. ferrari77

Minority in my case.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Gotta play that card huh?

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If he really is getting a NoLOS for the western arc and he is getting a LOS for the eastern arc, then yes, you do need an MPEG4 receiver.

Go try DirecTV. Its often easier to get a LOS since they only use one satellite vs Dish who use 3 and 4 satellites.

Oh and if you are looking for spanish programming (or any foreign programming), they are all on the "western arc", with both dish and direct.

6. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Go to Dishpointer.com put in your address and you can see what the direction each dish is.

It is true that when using the 110/119 only dish, has a differnet axis than 110/119/129 (HD).

I think the $75 is worth it b/c you may want HD in the future and only 129 has only HD channels except for a couple of HD channels on 110.

7. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Actually I understand what they are saying.

You cannot get 110/119 and can only get 61.5/77 which may only be distributed in MPEG4.

8. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Its probably true, you can also argue to try and get them to waive the fee. Or tell them you will use Direct TV.

I had dish before I moved, and I loved it...

9. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

He is correct.. to get the eastern arc dish you will need a mpeg4 series reciever which are the VIP series recievers. BTW the eastern arc locations of 61.5/72.7/77 are the same as 119/110/129... with 61.5 being the 129 equivilant. keep in mind that it still will be one dish that will provide the three locations.. so its not like you will have three on your roof..just wanted to clarify.

you should not have to pay the fee for that dish though, if that is all you can get then you just need to call in and have them change the work order when the techs are there.

10. ferrari77

Just wanted to say I appreciate the answers fella's. Y'all as always have been a big help.

Thanks again.