1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disgusted By JLin Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cincymmb, Jul 18, 2014.

1. i3artow i3aller

Lin's gone?
    Well then...
    [​IMG]

2. Raven

Raven Member

Sure wish there was a forum for ex Rockets, because you just know that this stupid Lin debate is going to pop back on page one for the entire season and beyond, same with Parsons. The resident trolls are already fantasizing about the dozens and dozens and dozens of threads they can start using either of them for click bait.

3. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

4. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

I think you missed the key-point.

1. Statement was made that YAO was like Jackie Robinson.
    2. Statement was refuted based on perspective of someone else.

I shall help you additionally. When the communists won the civil war in china after ww2, the losers didn't convert or die. They fled and spread out. One of many migrations of people whom were fleeing war or were part of the losing side. Just as you have many Nazi heirs in Brazil of German Descent.

YAO doesn't represent the average asian-american in any sense. The communists are still the communists, the same ones that helped stomp the US military in the Korean War by sending 2million plus infantry over their border forcing the US and South Koreans back from winning the war.

The 1st documented military service of asian-americans is noted in the War of 1812. As well as the US Civil War for both the Union and the Confederates. Over 25% of the Chinese American population fought in the Civil War.

You really have to stop treating asian-americans as something besides being American.

YAO in no way shares any history of being an american of asian descent.

He is not an immigrant, 2nd generation, 3rd generation, 4th generation, etc.

Hence why he is no Jackie Robinson.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

No, you miss the point. CF supports players regardless of nationality, political system, body size, or native language.

If you like Asian-American players more than you like Chinese players, that's your problem.

If you like 6'3 guys more than 7'6 guys, that's your problem.

If you like English speakers more than speakers of other languages, that's your problem.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All Lin fans miss the point
    What hypocrites that they don't support Yao cause he wasn't raised in California and drive civics with neon lights

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin ain't no Jackie Robinson , he's like Thomas Robinson

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao represents the real rockets fans and the city of Houston

And Yao curses on the court and doesn't tweet proverbs

He's real

1 person likes this.
  9. calcium

calcium Member

He's got a point though.

I remember reading an article where in China, where if you werent approaching 7', you wouldnt get far in the basketball selection process.
    Or 7'6" in Yao's case.

I can see how the Chinese could relate to Lin more than Yao.

I think someone used the phrase genetic freak (?) and, you know,
    it's not that far from the truth :)

10. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

So you are saying that cursing on the court make you more "real" than quoting Biblical verses? C'mon now.......

11. andersongo

andersongo Member

I don't understand why the Roxs don't go for a solid vet like Jameer Nelson when he can help to alleviate the playmaking duties of Harden. And he also happen to know how to feed Howard in his sweet spots in the post.

12. andersongo

andersongo Member

You try far too much. You're becoming a parody of yourself.

13. andersongo

andersongo Member

Zdrav was trying to explain why Asian-Americans happen to be bigger stans of Lin than of Yao and I think he did a good job of it. Shared worldview and life experiences go a long way to explain why most Asian-Americans identify more with Lin than with Yao. Identity is not skin-deep and thinking otherwise is what racism is all about.
    As for how CF posters theoretically treat players of all races and horizons: that's just irrelevant to whatever attitudes are harboured by Asian-Americans.

14. PeppermintCandy

IMO the reason Lin can't be the Asian version of Jackie Robinson is because no Asian-American today can.

Nothing faced by Asian-Americans in our contemporary context can compare to the awful racism and hardships faced by African-Americans in and before the mid-20th century, and the symbolic significance for a black athlete to begin to overcome those barriers.

As an Asian, I was/am happy to see Yao and then later Lin make it in the NBA, but to compare those achievements to what Jackie Robinson did is just not right.

1 person likes this.
  15. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

This. Unless Lin was a friggin Chinese Railroad Worker being given reduced wages and called "yellow" everyday, and somehow broke the barriers and became a basketball star, then I would see Jackie Robinson connections.

16. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

This is a good post. Asians today have it much better than African Americans during the Jackie Robinson days. There's no comparison. Just because one fool made a comparison does not mean you should tar all Lin fans with the same brush. That makes the situation worse than it should be.

Also what's wrong with Asians being proud that an Asian American is playing in the NBA? Its an outlier and due to a lot of hard work and perseverance. Traits that we all should admire.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yao didn't tweet passive aggressive stuff like Lin. He didn't quote bible phrases with the holier thna thou attitude and then go out there and pay for hoes like Lin.

Anyway Lin is gone. I hope any Lin thread is now in the DISH. Good luck to Lin and hers.

18. andersongo

andersongo Member

Nice parting shot. Ironic because I'm sure you root for the guy known as "Bible Kemp" to Spurs aficionados.

19. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

lol whut

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Do not use Taiwanese-Americans to replace Asian-Americans, they are totally different group people. Lots of Asian-Americans know little about Lin, but they are big fans of Yao, LOFs just suck.