1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussion: wanting Green because of KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 6, 2021.

1. raining threes

You're selling Green short IMHO. His offense and fit with KPJ on offense aren't the issues. The question should be, do they want to commit to becoming great on the defensive end like MJ and Drexler? Or do they want to become another Francis? Both KPJ and Green said they're looking forward to playing together and I see them as deferring their games to become better as a whole on both ends of the floor.

burlesk and JayZ750 like this.
  2. PatBev

PatBev Member

Just give the people what they want

burlesk and coachbadlee like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't only not think he's a shoot first PG, I think he's a worse player if he's not playing PG. He requires some usage. Not Harden level, don't mvoe without the ball usage, but usage. I do not like the pairing of him with at traditional PG.

So if one doesn't like him as a traditional PG -and while I don't think he's pass first, i also don't think he's a CP3 type traditional PG - I think we should move on from him.

But personally, I really liek KPJ with the ball in his hands, and Green as a more pure SG.

I don't get the Francis/Mobley comparison. Like sure, its two offensive backcourt players. But until it started getting brought up on this board, i didn't make the comparison in my head at all.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

TANKING MENTALITY took over

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

What's up with the fascination with Francis and Mobley.
    Those teams sucked and quite frankly kind of boring to watch. Best thing to come out of that duo was the McGrady trade.

TEXNIFICENT, burlesk and MadMax like this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

Okay, just to clarify: the Francis Mobley nostalgia is not their talent, being similar in style of play or whatever. It seems to be mostly about how good friends they became and seeing a young backcourt click seemingly and wanting to play together I guess for people brings back that feeling.

burlesk likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe both KPjr and Jalen Green were concentrating more on their
    offensive games this past season; but will focus more on the
    defensive fundamentals as people sqwak more and more about it.

Harden was also seen as a terrible defender until he received more help
    on the offensive side; which allowed Harden to put more effort into the
    defensive side. Becoming noted as one of the top interior defenders
    per statistics in recent years. Ability was always there.

Green/Porter have the opportunity to be 48 minutes of constant pressure
    on the defense of the opposition by way of isolation, PnR, handoffs, cuts,
    slashing, coming off screens. Silas system.

Provide better 3-pt shooters and the lanes created for the duo will result in
    tremendous gains by way of 2-pt FG's, 3-pt FG's, FT's, assists,
    tip-in's, fast break points. Especially if you add the athleticism
    of Kenyon Martin jr into the mix. The speed, leaping ability, athleticism will
    be off the charts.

The 3 flying Wallendas on the court at the same time could be extremely impressive
    and explosive. Let the guards and SF's be hunters and gatherers (pt producers) while
    the big men be home bodies that protect the house (rim protectors - rebounders).

#47 ApacheWarrior, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

title says “takes over,” yet his highlights were basically 2 made jumpers and a couple of dunks…they got me with the clickbait

napalm06 likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Lillard and McCollum 2.0

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why not harden and eric gordon 2.0?

bloodwings19 likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Because Gordon plays solid defense. And towards the end Harden played decent post defense (but still bad perimeter defense).

I was just being a little facetious because Clutch says Porter and Green play 0 defense (and he's right). LIllard and McCollum score 50 and give up 60 which is why they're always hyped but never win.

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Francis/Cat teams were pretty mediocre overall but were successfully leveraged into the injury fated McGrady/Yao era.

A Green/Porter backcourt could be leveraged similarly in that regard, as the target should be to put forward a competitive squad in 23/24.

Personally I think the safe pick is Suggs and the home run swing is Mobley, and I'm good either way.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny enough, McGrady got just as far as Steve & Cat did, with a superior Yao.

D-rock likes this.
  15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure. If by that you mean take a higher risk, higher reward route. You either win, or you give yourself a chance fo play again. Avoid the perpetual 14th pick.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

If one of them were a lock down defender then I'd agree with you.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Defense is a mindset.

Very few develop this mindset in NBA.

Especially the scorers.

And it has nothing to do with effort, Lavine works his ass off on D but he's just limited - short wingspan and expends all his energy on offense.

Lavine, like Green, is best 1v1 but still poor on switches, slow on rotations, struggles defending PnR.

Beal's defensive impact is nonexistent.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Weaknesses for all 3 is defense.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think if you are going to build around KPJ as your primary playmaker you need to pair him with someone like Pat Beverly. If EG is healthy next year maybe he is a good fit next to him.

However on taking Green at 2, it’s important to note that he will be a much more important talent to develop. If KPJ and him aren’t meshing or you cannot play a 3 guard lineup (Green, KPJ, EG/Wall) it’s likely that KPJ is the basketball casualty and either goes to the bench in a 6th man type of role or he’ll need to be traded.

It would be great if they became the next Steph/Klay or whatever but I just hope everyone would get prepared to view KPJ of much less importance in developing and for the sake of Green, it might be better for the franchise long term to play him alongside EG, Wall, or another veteran guard we get in free agency that helps him be successful.

Im fine taking either Mobley or Green. You do your homework as a GM and pick best player. I think right now it’s a toss up but Mobley imo seems a bit more valuable in what he could be upside wise. I might eat those words in a few years of course.

#59 dobro1229, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

OR Mobley could be the calming influence and tertiary playmaker when Porter is stressed.

On and off the court.

jnuge90 likes this.