1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussion: wanting Green because of KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah if the correlation is nostalgia in trying to improve your team then its flawed. Subconciously its almost like comparing a failed experiment to something that hasnt even happened yet handcuffing the new possibility to the old failed one. I just dont subscribe to that type of thinking.

Look a the league laterally, copy what works. Innovate from there. No need to use boomer-esque thinking about what worked or didnt in the past especially so long ago as a measuring stick to todays game and the Rockets to be more specific.

You pick Jalen Green because he is THE premier off ball guard in this draft. KPJ showed in his first full time PG role that he can flourish. You already have a very good big on the team.

LIMIT THE REDUNDANCY!

burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching him at PG, I never once saw him as a "shoot-first PG", and am fairly shocked that someone would label him as such. Extremely unselfish, especially compared to someone like John Wall.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Imagine having Cat and Steve nostalgia. Could NEVER be me.

ElDobleK, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You definitely have to squint and dream on it. It’s not a terrible thing to give a year, see what shakes out, and worst case scenario, you’re in line for another high lotto pick next year in what sounds like a loaded draft. A potential comp is the John Wall-Bradley Beal situation (hopefully without the multi-year injuries) — I don’t know how that plays out if Wall doesn’t get injured.

As much as you’d love to have a true point, I kind of wonder if the league has moved toward the hybrid model. You look at a lot of the top teams of late — outside of CP3, a lot more are led by these hybrid types — I look at the the Warriors with Curry (though they supplement with above average passers like Bogut, Draymond, and Durant), Cavs / Lakers with LeBron (Kyrie as a scorer as much as anything), and even the Bucks with Giannis and Middleton (Jrue is great, but he’s generally a caretaker and spot up shooter).

You’ve got CP3 with the Suns this year, but there’s really only so many true points around anymore.

JoeBarelyCares, saleem and Deuce like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I actually wanted KPJ to look for his offense more. When he was at PG he did try to get other's involved before he looked for his shot.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the days of the "floor general PG" are dwindling. We are moving to positionless basketball

-Combo guards
    -Wings
    -Big

burlesk and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bro, all I wanted him to do was use his massive frame to drive to the damn basket for contact. So much freaking talent...

burlesk and Deuce like this.
  8. raining threes

I want Green because I think he's the 2nd best player in the draft. It's a plus that I think KPJ and Green will fit well together. An added plus is the Rockets should be bad next year and they can find a quality big in the loaded 2022 draft, since highschool players will be able to become drafted again.

BHannes2BHonest and burlesk like this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Haha I get the part about thinking KPJ and Green really bonding like those two, which is something we’re kind of seeing in their IG back and forth.

burlesk likes this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I guess.

11. JW86

JW86 Member

That might actually be the case. I just don’t see KPJ and Green as complementary enough to be a perfect fit, but as everything, it’s an opinion.

Some people really getting worked up in this thread over nothing, so hope we can keep it productive.

burlesk and Deuce like this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

Me too, though actually like Green because he’s the type of player we can build around and making sure we don’t just expect KPJ to be our #1 guy.

raining threes and burlesk like this.
  13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But maybe we can draft the next Yao with healthy feet, and trade them for McGrady with a heart.

saleem likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with you, Green has a long way to go on defense.
    I don't think you realize that Green has good potential as a passer despite being a scorer/ shooter. He had good chemistry with Kuminga and Todd. He is much more than a shooter.

His post game is developing, he can change his speed and direction. He isn't afraid of physical contact. That's the point , I like the best. He does have to improve a lot on defense. I think his efficiency on 3's should improve with experience. He shot 36.5 percent from NBA range, which gives him a head start. He isn't a ball hog.

KPJ is far from being a complete player too.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

bro... don't overthink it. it's a lottery and every team tries to hit it big. all the experts agree, green could be an mvp in his prime.

burlesk likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel Green has more potential to become the leader of the offense than KPJ. He seems to be more mature than him. I do agree with your comments.

burlesk and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

I see them as a great duo for the next decade but Green could also be great insurance if KPJ starts letting off court issues become a problem

burlesk, JW86 and saleem like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Which duo is better Green + KPJ or Wiggins + Lavine ?
    Man, we could be set for a decade!
    of tanking

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Green could be the catalyst that jumpstarts KPJs stardom.

burlesk, raining threes and PatBev like this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

And Sampson with knees.