1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dirk to sit out to improve conditioning

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Jan 23, 2012.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-mavericks-nowitzki

I know injuries can sometimes be due to lack of strength.

I understand basketball minutes don't always get players in shape.

But you can't get in shape or gain strength in EIGHT DAYS. The body doesn't adapt that quickly. Dirk says it wasnt getting better by continuously playing on it, yet he's going to bust his ass all week??

What is going on here?

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

He looks hurt. Last game he played in he was limping all over the court.

3. The Situation

The Situation Member

Where have I seen this before....ohh ya

[​IMG]

Hopefully he doesn't opt for microfracture surgery without telling Carlisle first

4. cdastros

cdastros Member

It does sound like T-Mac.

5. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Improve conditioning huh? [​IMG]

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

It sounds like T-mac but we know its different because T-mac wasn't the hardest worker while Dirk is.

7. ThaShark316_28

Outside of JET, Marion, and D-West...none of those dudes are in shape.

8. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

I guess home depot really does help.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What is the nature of his injury?

DD

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

****ing Mavs pulling a Spurs.

[​IMG]

11. DaDakota

You may be right, if this keeps going on, that may be what is happening, if you read Cuban's blog he alluded to having to let some people go to remain competitive, it would not be beyond him to tank a year to get DWill and reload for next year.

He is a very smart owner.

DD

12. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Do they trade for Odom if that's their plan?

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Another thing about unlikeable, yet smart owner, like Cuban. He doesn't mind spending money.I hate saying this, but I wish we could have Cuban as owner over Les. He seems like the type of owner who will do anything to win, even to the point where Dallas has become a championship or bust type team.

I do not necessarily agree with tanking, but I do not think we can win with what we have, which is why we need a more prominent draft position or need to go get a dynamic wing player or a versatile big man.

Even though, we are sitting in the 8th spot right now, look at what teams are behind us . . . Portland, LA, and Minnesota. Confidently, I just cannot say we are going to finish ahead of those teams.

14. DaDakota

How long is Odom signed for? Perhaps this is a new plan once they saw how the team was doing as assembled?

I don't know - I was just saying I would not put it past Cuban to do this.

DD

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i guess injury isnt the right word to use....he's implying his knee is weak and he needs to strengthen it to get back in shape. Everything just doesnt add up for me though.

Usually its bench players, who dont play enough, who cant get in shape just playing in games. Dirk shouldn't have this problem.

He played this summer for Germany, so why is he lacking conditioning? why is his knee weak?

It would make sense if he had sat out all summer and throughout the lockout, but even then you'd expect weakness in both legs, not one. and it seems odd to me that they are recommending working the heck out of a sore and irritated joint. They should at least give it time to calm down and then try to work it out. I just dont see how you strengthen a knee that's not in the right condition to move heavy loads.

Maybe it's a bunch of BS and he's just sitting out to let it heal.

16. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Dirk has looked skinny, hung over, and out of shape all year. Can't blame the guy for partying his ass off after winning the title, but he was clearly not the least bit ready for any season, let alone a condensed one.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Any day now, we will hear that he had microfracture surgery and is now living in Tim Grover's basement in Chi-town?

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Maybe they keep Lamar, trade Dirk for Dwight or Deron, then sign the other one in free agency??

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Cuban traded away Dirk.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was going to respond to DD and ask what tanking had to do with signing Deron Williams? They don't have to tank to free up cap space.

I guess your saying they "tank", by virtue of Dirk being out of shape and not his usual self, in order to justify to the fan base why they trade Dirk. Trading Dirk for one of Deron/Dwight allowing them to sign the other and eliminating aging, out of shape Dirk.

Which is all fine and good, except why would the Nets trade for Dirk? Or the Magic? Neither would given they'd be trading for an out of shape, knee issue, less than his usual self Dirk.

The Mavs aren't tanking. The only reason they'd want to tank would be to get a top draft pick. They aren't missing the playoffs by much if they do, and then they'd have to cross their fingers to get a top pick.

What the Mavs are doing is resting Dirk, who for whatever reason is unhealthy and not his usual self. And is getting older. This isn't the same as the Spurs resting Duncan, but its close.

The Mavs need to be ready for the playoffs. They need to make the playoffs, sure, and would like at least 1 home court advantage series. The first step to accomplish that goal is to get Dirk back to his normal self. If they make the playoffs at a 5 seed, but Dirk is healthy and everything is clicking, they will be a very dangerous out.

The press release is very strange, though.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Mavs are sounding like they are starting to tank this year. Hopefully for them, it's not a T-Mac situation because it sounds the same so far. Dirk is a champion though, he will probably actually work.