1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dirk,Kobe,Deron among the most overpaid

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Yeah and I think these are the only 2 on the list that have a championship ring. That's gotta count for something, right?

2. sammy

sammy Member

Yes, I'm sure that having the basically the highest payroll at 90M didn't factor into the Mavs winning a title.

3. arjun

arjun Member

huhh....kobe should be paid MLE amount..? LOL

4. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Did you read that in a magazene somewhere?

That aint how it went down at all.

Last year it was Shawn Marion shooting outta his mind and lockin down Lebron, Jason Kidd showing Carlos Arooyo and Mike freakiinn Bibby what a true pt guard is, Barea carving up they defense and gettin to da hole at will, TYSON F****G CHANDLER EMBARRASSING da heats "big men" dunking on everyone and going over da back for every single rebound and NEVER gettin called for a loose ball foul, JASON TERRY SHOOTING OUT OF HIS MIND in every fourth quarter cuz he had a tattoo of a trophy and suhm to prove, Deshawn Stevenson also helping to shut down lebron and completely losing his ability to miss a 3 pter, and oh yea, Dirk who wanted revenge for 06 and was completely u guardable.

VERSUS

-An absent lebron who had a bad game after being triple teamed so he decided to check out da series

-A way overmatched forward in Bosh who was an emotional wreck, on his period

-D WADE. Da only heat who showed up.

- And nobody else.

But yeah, you keep thinkin it was Big Bad Dirk Novitski Scoring 100ppg wit NO HELP against an evil miami 3 headed monster whos avereages were 30/10, 30/10, and 30/10 :rolleyes:

5. conquistador#11

but deron is a super mega star. he led the nets to playoffs! oh, that didn't happen?

agree with the list, except the german should not be there. Neither should kobe. Though at one point I didn't like him, he has earned infinite life status.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

People would take you more seriously if most of the words in your posts were spelled right.

But yeah, it wasn't just Nowitzki; it was Chandler / Terry / Nowitzki.

Nowitzki did pretty much carry them through the first three rounds though, iirc.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

How in the WORLD is Joe Johnson not on this list?

18 million is a bit much for him, and his salary steadily increases over the next four seasons that reaches into Kobe Bryant territory.

8. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

I preciate that, i aint too good at grammer but i knows me some basketball. :cool:

9. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Hell Dirk and Kobe brought their teams championships. They deserve to be "over paid" for a couple of years.

10. Kim

Kim Member

The article would make sense if players were awarded only single season contracts and regular season wins were the only criteria in determining pay check.

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Author did not use the salary cap to arrive at his conclusions. Neither did I. My point is that the win-share statistic cannot be used as the sole variable for determining the value of a contract. I don't know what your point is honestly.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Totally disagree. Loyalty needs to come mostly from the player. The team is not under any obligation to pay an obscene, egregious amount of money to keep a washed-up hero. Their job is to treat him extremely well while he is under a reasonable contract.

The Rockets didn't become disloyal, neither did Hakeem when he left for the Raptors. You're right, it's business. A team has a multiplicity of worries and shouldn't hamstring themselves with a bad contract for the sake of one person.

#32 napalm06, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  13. Soybean Fanatic

The one-year way of looking at a player being overpaid is the wrong way of going about this. You've got to look at the whole contract period.

So, was it a good idea for Dallas to give Dirk a 4 year, 80 millon $ contract in 2010?

And that's why any list that has Dirk in the top 10 of the most overpaid players is absolutely stupid.

14. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

Wins produced is a crappy statistic, as are many basketball stats. The fact that Kobe is listed as being $19mil overpaid just shows that the stat is terrible.

Offensive stats need to take into account the ability to draw double teams, as well as the ability to score in the absence of help defense. Every halfcourt offense is based on the ability of players to score in single coverage or distort a defense, which Kobe can still do. Linearly additive stats, such as those used to calculate Wins Produced, are not suited to basketball. Player and ball motion data, such as those in Synergy, need to be accounted for.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

To play devil's advocate, why does a player have to be loyal and not the team. What's so special about the team and franchise? In supposedly a free enterprise system, a worker can make any kind of demands for benefits or pay, and if an employer does not like it. The worker can remain unemployed or find another employer.

The player is like any other worker who wants to be paid for his or her talents.

A team can trade you at any team, when it sees fit, a player doesn't necessarily have to be washed up, sometimes there can be tension with management or have a Peyton Manning or Joe Montana type situation.

It's all business, loyalty is not required on either part.