1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dirk: Can't build your franchise on hope

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Pete the Cheat

so you are hoping some of those good young players pan out?

the window for success in this league is fickle. the Yao-T-Mac era is exhibit A for "what could have been". are you willing to suffer through that again, my friend?

the fact is Harden is playing at an MVP level right now, and his window is now. if you have the opportunity to bring in an MVP level player with Champhionship experience (at your biggest position of weakness no less!), you do it and live with the consequences.

you think Miami regrets trading for Shaq? the Celtics for KG and Ray?
    if Dirk could be had for our overabundance of PFs, how would that not be a great deal?

All that being said, no way Cuban trades the face of his franchise

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

It seems like Cuban is emulating Morey of the past 3 years. Except that plan has failed Morey for the most part. Cuban probably overestimated the allure of Dallas after his championship. He might've felt that free agents would be flocking to him because of his extravagance, winning, and overall being in the public's eye. He's now learning the hard way that the Mavs are still the Mavs, that top players aren't exactly dying to go play for his team.

More realized his mistake and changed gears, and has since looked like a genius. Cuban probably will have to try to stay afloat for the duration of Dirk's time there. It's like a Yao circa 2009-2010 situation. You know logically you have to move on, but you just can't do it.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Nash shouldve gone back to Dallas...and then waited for Howard to join them...bc...the circus in LA is worse...

For Nash being such a good dude...how did he not see that he walked into such a bad situation...

4. Pete the Cheat

and I for one will enjoy every minute of it :grin:

to go along with your point though, the difference between Morey and Cuban's rebuilding plan thus far has been accumulation of assets.

Cuban has rested on his laurels in hopes of a home run FA signing...but if noone is left worth signing the only other route to go by is trade...

take one look at that roster. unless you are looking to deal Dirk, you aren't going to be seeing much in return.

for as much run as the Morey/Asset punchline got, it definitely panned out in the end.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I never understood letting players like Tyson Chandler go after winning the championship.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

See :p

Dallas :rolleyes:

7. Nook

Nook Member

We do not live in a world of absolutes.... LBJ, Bosh and Wade could all die in a plane crash tomorrow. However, you cannot tell me that the Rockets and Mavericks are currently in the same situation. A 23 year old player is a far more attractive running mate than a 34 year old coming off of an injury. Further, the Rockets young players are more appealing than those on the Mavericks.

Dallas is where we were 3 years ago.

8. UHcat

UHcat Member

I like this alot, wondering though how many years can Dirk plays at this level.

9. Pete the Cheat

I must have misinterpretted your original post. I agree with that completely.

my reply to your other post was begrudgingly making a case that Dirk to the Rockets makes a lot of sense.

10. Entropy

Entropy Member

What Dirk really meant to say is that you can't build a winning team with Vince Carter in it.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We were all rallying around hope and Morey finally got the big fish. Step 2: Find another.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Honesty. How nice. I know we'd never get him (I just can't see Dallas letting him go to a Divisional opponent), but if we did and he helped the Rockets win it all, I don't know if I'd ever get the smile off my face. Heh. F*** you, Dallas, f*** you.