1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dimemag] team review - rox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harumph, Oct 21, 2005.

1. harumph

harumph Member

http://www.dimemag.com/feature.asp?id=1970

Western Conference | Southwest Division: Houston Rockets

Attitude: The Rockets amassed a 36-16 record from January on last year and look to takeoff this season. Battling in the always tough Southwest Division is a challenge that Houston is willing to face with a team full of experienced players. A possible starting lineup comprised of Rafer Alston, David Wesley, Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard and Yao Ming with Stromile Swift, Derek Anderson and Jon Barry coming off the bench contends with the depth of state rival San Antonio.

Incoming: Swift could turn out to be the off-season steal of the summer and Anderson will add invaluable depth to the rotation. Swift has the potential to take the starting spot away from Juwan Howard if he can prove that he can play on both ends of the court. Free agent acquisitions Lonny Baxter and Dion Glover could be surprise contributors as well.

Outgoing: After a mass exodus last off-season, the Rockets parted with hardly anyone of note. Former PG Charlie Ward retired during the summer.

The Deal: The biggest question mark in Houston is the PG spot. Trading away Mike James for Alston was a good move for the Rockets, but until Bob Sura gets healthy and rookie Luther Head gets adjusted the spot will be a point of controversy. We know we already predicted Dallas to come in second in the Southwest, but Houston could easily give them a run for their money behind MVP-type numbers from T-Mac and an improved game from Yao.

Fantasy Spin: T-Mac is a Top 5 fantasy player and Yao is a Top 25. Both these guys are no-brainers for any squad you put together and both have tremendous upside. The possible sleeper for this team is no doubt Swift. Once he takes over the starting spot and logs heavy minutes, his production will increase dramatically.

Dime Drop: We were torn over the Rafer/Mike James trade. We were happy for our guy Skip because he was moving into a great situation where he could be contending for a championship. We felt for Mike James though. Just a few weeks before the trade went down, he was telling us about how excited was to be a part of the team and that he was playing the best ball of his career

----

Quite a reasonable summary.

I like the guys at dime - they actually like the Rox, not that they mention us that often.

2. RocketsFAN3035

I don't hate this analysis whatsoever. I think it is reasonable and fair. I think a lot of us (including myself) have been quick to rule out Dallas. But, we haven't proven we can beat them yet. I mean, they spanked us in Game 7 right (yeah, I know, I don't like talking about it either). Point being point, I think we will beat Dallas, but I can see thier point in ranking Big D ahead of us (which they seem to do so begrudginly).

3. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i know we still have to go out there and beat dallas but the rockets are clearly a better team THIS season. the mavs did NOTHING to improve their team and in consecutive offseasons lost arguably the franchise's best two players EVER in steve nash and michael finley. this team is on the downward spiral while the rockets did nothing but improve themselves where they needed to improve.

4. ebu

ebu Member

poor Mike James.....

5. RocketsFAN3035

Well, maybe Mrs. Christe comes back to form and plays insane D and knocks down some jumpers. Maybe Howard and Daniels rotation is better than Finley. Maybe Stackhouse is the 6th man of the year. Maybe Terry becomes the best PG in the L. Maybe Dampier doesn't play like crap.

Ofcourse, I completly agree with you, and am just playing Devil's advocate. I don't think any of that is going to happen and we are going to smash Big D :D . But, hey, you never know. I guess I MAY be able to see thier point....actually, I really don't.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

But the Mavs are very suited for regular season play. They're deep, balanced, and can overcome injury problems better than most teams. I would hardly be surprised if they ended up with a better record than us. However, if the Rockets lineup is healthy and gels by the playoffs, they're better suited for a championship run.