1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dillon Brooks on Mental Lapses: “Feel like it’s the same guys that are doing that”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 2, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

One, I most definitely have been here a long time.
    Two, are we watching the same games? Alp is almost always in on switches. Ime himself said as much last night. He likes him playing up and not dropping so much.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Most, not all, just something I've realized from a lot of these posters telling me how bad Jabari is defensively.

I think the proof is in who Jabari is tasked with guarding and on top of that that the team does better on defense when he's out there.

I also think the eyetest is pretty clear, people just miss it, but we've seen the clips the past few pages of Jabari getting stops against good scorers but people won't notice it.

Alpi can come up but he's not switching, the reason you don't want him dropping is because of what happened in the Orlando game where that restricted area becomes very open, like we're not seeing Sengun swap on to guards and forwards a lot. We do keep him up because the modern game people are trying to hoist threes so you don't want him giving space to that. You'd rather give up a lay up tbh than a wide open three.

3. invocux

invocux Member

I trust Ime too that's irrelevant. He might have higher defensive upside that's again irrelevant. What Ime thinks about Jabari's defense is also irrelevant. We are talking about this season not the last season not the next season. We are talking what he is right now. Last game he was better on defense but so far he has been extremely disappointing on that end. Almost every single fan on here/twitter is shocked how bad he looked on defense. He gets beat on perimeter and can't recover, he can't defend the rim, falls asleep. There were possesions he looked good but overally he looked completely lost.

While i'm rooting for Jabari and Jalen watching games i'm not fan of them. I don't enjoy watching them and i don't trust them being our n.1 and 2 in the future. One of them is a tiny shooting guard who can't shoot and the other one is an overall bad basketball player. Jabari right now doesn't seem to have any redeemable quality other than his middy. Watching Jabari play bb is like eating cheap steak. I consume it but i want it to be over. So i'm happy we are winning like you are but i know we ain't getting nowhere either them on the wheel so i can't get too excited. I know they will look better under Ime than they ever looked but you can only improve a player so much. Everybody has their limits and their limitations are glaring imo.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't care. Ime's opinion on him is worth more than every single fans, the average fan knows next to nothing about good defense because the average fan thinks Paolo cooking him is getting 3 made FGs or how Wemby cooked him on post spin and dunking it on the other side of the rim. The average fan doesn't realize 99% of players can't do that move and as such it was a good defensive play.

The average fan thought Westbrook was a better defender than Harden.The average fan doesn't know **** about defense.

No matter what you say here Jabari is a better defender than Sengun because Jabari can switch and defend the perimeter and Alpi struggles in that area.

You saying "He gets beat on the perimeter and can't recover..." is literally backed up by absolutely nothing at all and just you saying things.

Exactly. You're a Sengun fan. So the only thing that's important is Sengun's success. If Sengun succeeds then that's all that matters. Trust me, I know. We Rocket fans are very used to OFs around here, it's a meme at this point. From Yao only Fans to Lin Only Fans we're used to it. I get it, but I don't agree with tearing down other young players on our team to make yours look better.

You should be thankful Jabari is on the team actually because if Jabari couldn't shoot the 3 Sengun wouldn't even be able to post up. Sengun's success on this team is pretty tied to Jabari shooting 3s so you SHOULD be rooting for him and you should be a fan of his game since his game is literally to give space so that you can have a player like Sengun on the team.

JeffB and YOLO like this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Teams don't hunt jabari because he is the better one-on-one defender. That's just one part of defending though. He makes other mistakes more regularly and breaks up things, gives away easy points, as of now.

Jabari will eventually be the better defender. If he is not, either he didn't live up to expectations or sengun is an mvp level player with that kind of defense.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since when can Jabari shoot the three? (...and thus far, when has Alperen or anyone benefited from that?) I'm kidding...

Jabari was sublime last night. Absolutely the best game of his basketball career. On paper, it would seem that both Jabari and Alperen could greatly help each other where the other is deficient. And who is to say that they remain deficient? As of this moment, we have one of the best starting lineups in the NBA, and 3 of the 5 are BABIES... Good times for Houston fans!

I'd also say that while Jabari has many obvious strengths on defense, Alperen has his own strengths, beginning with his strength and ending with his overall awareness and basketball IQ, the latter being brought up by Udoka already, who wants him to use those talents for defense. And let's not forget that Jabari has his very own ONLY FANS section that has been trying to slide Bruno Fernando and Mo Bamba in there with Jabari SINCE Jabari was drafted... I don't recall any major hit pieces on Jabari as of yet... :)

#266 RudyTBag, Nov 5, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    JayGoogle and i3artow i3aller like this.