1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Dillon Brooks on Mental Lapses: “Feel like it’s the same guys that are doing that”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 2, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, I’m saying it doesn’t fit your narrative. You can’t be hunted and not be defending the best playmaker/scorer.
    In one argument you say Jabari is being tasked with defending the better players so his defensive rating would take a hit, and in the other you’re saying Alp is being hunted, aka guarding the best playmaker so his defensive rating would take a hit.
    Those two are virtually identical in defensive rating and the best two among starters. And single game rating, Alp is better in 3 out of 4.

HardenReturns likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s also tally up Alperen’s overall awareness for defensive purposes. Udoka mentioned that he wanted to see Alperen use his high basketball intelligence for defense this year. Have you seen him make many positional mistakes within the confines of team defense? I sure haven't. A few... Foot speed aside, when you combine ridiculous basketball intelligence, with strength and explosion, and real EFFORT, I believe you will get an adequate defender. I think Alperen can get there with Udoka's foot in his ass.

You can have all the measurables in the world, but you have to be able to anticipate the game to be an impact defender in 2023. Looking at you Mo Bamba, the guy that everyone wanted to pay to replace Alperen.

Getting back on topic...
    I think Jabari can get it right too. I see him as more of a 6-11 Shane Battier than anything else on defense. He is not terribly explosive, but boy can he slide those feet. He is also a hard worker, and will grind these struggles away into being a more than solid pro. (Would not mind an athletic forward that bridges the gap between Jabari and Alperen. Or Timelord...)

#222 RudyTBag, Nov 4, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
    HardenReturns and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

You can't have a 6 year Jabari in his second year. he needs to grow into his body. covering up 2 on 1s in college against kids, is a lot different than doing it in the pros against full-grown men. he probably would be better at the centre position but we already have a centre.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Possibly an unfair comparison, but as a 19 and 20-year-old in his first two years, Jaren Jackson Jr. was putting up 19 and 22 Points Per 36 on .592 TS%, while blocking everything and connecting on more threes. I for one had hoped that we had a JJJ in the bag with Jabari when we drafted him...

Jabari Smith DOES gets some time because he had to deal with Stephen Silas, but right now his numbers are right in line with what we saw last year.
    • 83 games: 14 Points Per 36 at .514 TS%. :(
    • Post all-star last season it was slightly better, but it still wasn't great.
    Patiently waiting for the explosion we saw in SL. Hope I don't become a skeleton...

#224 RudyTBag, Nov 4, 2023
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This thread is devolving into Jabari vs Sengun fight.

34to11 likes this.
  6. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Because Alpi, unlike every other center in the league, failed to completely shut down Curry..?

Joe Rocket likes this.
  7. 34to11

34to11 Member

Quoted for those who may have missed it.

JayGoogle and Mathloom like this.
  8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

No point comparing I think :) just let them grow

9. i3artow i3aller

#229 i3artow i3aller, Nov 4, 2023
    HardenReturns likes this.
  10. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Impossible to tell, because angel shots are by nature top shots like this one:
    [​IMG]
    (See "angel's eye view")
    All players look virtually of the same height - just heads & shoulders.
    FYI, the angels of the camera has nothing to do with this subject. They are merely celestial entities under contract to insurance companies, assigned to (the protection of) various technical equipment during shoots, concerts, et al.

comrade and Tuckmose like this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

imo... jabari is in his head on free throws - so is being less aggressive on offense... and that carries over to the d...

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think it’s an either or thing. Just honesty.

I like them both, I think they both have unique and very high ceilings. Right now, early in the season Jabari has struggled but is looking better the last couple games.

13. conquistador#11

What we know is that for 2 straight games, in 2 post interviews and one pregame interview, Coach has talked about players leaving Alpi on an Island like he is from the S.S Minnow on a 3 hour tour.
    Which means coach does not want Alpi out contesting three point shots from everyone yet Alpi has been doing that as much as anyone on the team.
    Then we have the Missed FT dunk allowed by Jabari the night this comment was made. People want the comment to be about Alpi but the context is there.

Nook likes this.
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Bari’s form is just so smooth. I just can’t imagine him not becoming a good shooter in-game eventually.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

No, but some people make it easier or harder. Curry was looking for Sengun. He would not be looking for someone like Holmgren,Giannis,Wemby,

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Fixed it for you

Easy and HardenReturns like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've seen Green demand double teams so many times last season.

Nook and 34to11 like this.
  18. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

So now we're blaming Alpi for not being 8' tall or an athletic freak?

Joe Rocket likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Alright fine, he's not as good Looney or Capela either at defense specifically.

My point is that he was LOOKING FOR SENGUN, they were covering for him. I'm sorry but he has his defensive limitations.

Please do not love a player so much that you cannot except any criticism.

34to11 likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They look for every center. It’s simple basketball, it draws the big out from under the basket.
    Alp is a better athlete than Looney, and Looney is a good defender.
    Don’t be so short sided and try to find imaginary faults in one of our cornerstones. While simultaneously ignoring the play of our other cornerstones

Joe Rocket and HardenReturns like this.