1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dillon Brooks is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Salvy, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Ancient Moabite

It was about just playing on any level and being a factor, where the defense has to account for your ability/game

Of course it makes a diff when evaluating anything, rather sports or saying who is a good/bad actor etc

A virgin can't give no actual solid advice to others on performing in the bed, no matter how many yrs of p*rn it has viewed, dissected and broke down into their personal made up data

Never played NBA pro ball but played with/against them at gym etc, and against plenty of nba/overseas caliber types as well, including NCAA bound types

I don't care what Brooks did in postseason either, was just giving my 2 cents on how he performed which was not good, and I don't need data to validate that because he showed it and I saw it with my 20/15 vision

I don't find data wrong at all, especially if I watch a series, the play showcases that

just like I don't need data from Hakeem back to back title run, he was clearly dominant for most of that run, you saw that right? Or do you need TS/Rating to verify that?

Salvy likes this.
  2. kpdark

kpdark Member

iron-man body, mental fortitude to play through all games scheduled, junkyard-dog mentality..

some examples of intangibles that can't be shown in/quantified by any stat.. are things that can differentiate a winning season from a loosing one..

-these are a few of the qualities I would like to rub off to the youngsters................ not whining on every non-call

DeBeards and Ancient Moabite like this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This thread…lol

cmlmel77 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I had never even looked at brooks playoff stuff till you brought it up, a few game sample is irrelevant to me when evaluating someone. The 72 game season he played, and was one of the most damaging players in the league (just like he’s been his entire career), is what i care about.

the pro brooks argument truly baffles the mind, the ability to ignore all logic and reality for HIM is just weird

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Idk why i even bother, last off season it was the kpj nonsense with the anti facts and anti data crowd, now this. Probably should just stop lol

cmlmel77 likes this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I dunno man that one guy played ball with some guys at the gym

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

True, i only played outdoors. At least i mostly didnt respond to the kpj>fvv a few bozos were spewing. That’s improvement. It was so ludicrous i didn’t know what to say

8. Ancient Moabite

I talked about his career and what made him which was his defense

I mention his most recent playoff based on our back n forth, but not as the basis for true evaluation

But I like to include his entire body of work (as for all players), which was never nothing special besides his grit/defense dog no fear mentality

The pro Brooks crowd baffles your mind because you clearly are anti Brooks, I have no dog in this race, just telling it like it is based on what he displayed on the hardwood since day one of his career

You have to take that beef up with Tilman/Stone who gave the worst player according to you/metrics 86 mill$ guaranteed, I wouldn't have given him that much, nor would I have given Hart 80 mill$

I would have offered Brooks 15 mill$ per year with a 3rd year team option, same time line as the VV overpaid deal

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Same people throwing out stats are the same type of people giving Harden money, that dude is a bum loser.... Sometimes stats don't equate to winning.

i3artow i3aller and DeBeards like this.
  10. Ancient Moabite

Nothing wrong where you played at, regardless the level of competition

But were you getting the other team switching up defenders on you? Were you out there just running around and setting screens or actually having your teammates looking for you to score/create?

Were you keeping track of your TS/Rating? Or did you know and was honest with yourself if you had a good/bad day at the office(outdoors/park)?

DeBeards likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Just give it up my man. Brooks plays on the Rockets now. His past doesn’t matter. Stats don’t matter. Give in to the homer eye test and the power of blind faith.

Ancient Moabite, fattz and astrosrule like this.
  12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Him playing while tari is sitting on the bench is gonna make me so mad…..and sad

13. prs325

prs325 Member

8 points on 8 shots
    Yikes!

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

There should be plenty minutes for Tari. But let’s say he doesn’t get to showcase himself as much as we’d like…

Maybe stone and Ime are playing chess, not checkers.

If you suppress Tari’s value for a couple of Seasons while Brooks is here it may be easier to resign him long term if his lesser playing time suppresses his value.

Then when we are ready to compete for title runs you have Tari on a bargain contract as Brooks and Fred’s contracts are ending which allows more flexibility.

Either way, even if this is far fetched, it’s not like Brooks being here hurts the long term outlook of the team and in actuality it may even help.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rox legend.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So, I'm sure while you were digging you noticed that Brooks' VORP swung massively from -0.9 to 0.0. from 20-21 to 21-22 right?

What indicators were there in his 20-21 stats that that would happen? How do you explain how that happened when he didn't change teams, coaches or roles?

Why do you think that can't happen on a bigger scale in a different context and situation?

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I’ve brought up his good season where he was 0.0 vorp. He only played 32 games, and it was not in line with the other 5 seasons he has had so I would just chalk it up to a fluke. If he puts up 0 vorp for the rockets that would be incredible, obviously. I would not bet on it though. I suppose in theory anything “can” happen. However, he’s already going into his age 28 season and as I showed you, this would be unprecedented.

18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]
    Dillon Demon Brooks! YAY

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

"I'll just chalk it up to a fluke" and "this would be unprecedented" are two highly non-scientific statements, and that's the crux of my point. Where you're disagreeing with people it's subjective. If Brooks could do something for 28 games, would it be SHOCKING that he does it for a whole season? Especially given that the only singly tiny difference in those 28 games is that he practiced better shot selection - something which Udoka is known to get out of his players?

The larger important point is that if a player is going to improve in their mid 20's, there's nothing in their previous season's stats that will show that - so for you to say "look at last season, why would anything change next season?" assumes that every player who improved had it apparent in their previous season's stats which is categorically false.

We're obviously not going to agree on the subjective projection of how Brooks will perform next season, and that's fine and that's beautiful about life. I don't think he's going to turn his career around in some miraculous way, I just think he will have the best shot selection of his recent career and shot selection is extremely underrated as far as its impact on advanced stats go.

BaselineFade likes this.