1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dikembe's Decision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Freik, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2006/08/dikembes_decision.html

August 23, 2006
    Dikembe's decision

While speaking with Dikembe Mutombo for last week's story about the Sept. 2 opening of his hospital in Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo -- an incredible accomplishment beyond anything possible on a basketball court -- it felt almost inappropriate to ask about something as trivial as basketball.
    I did anyway.
    Mutombo speaks with great passion about his work and all it will do to save and change lives in Kinshasa. But when we stopped to talk about basketball, he showed nearly as much zeal. He sounded so excited, he did not sound like someone planning to retire after the season. It turns out he's not -- or at least he's not sure. "I'll play one or two (more seasons)," Mutombo said. "One thing I've learned, as a big man, you can still do it as long as you can go up and down the floor. I think I can still go up and down the floor."
    Mutombo had a surprisingly strong first season with the Rockets in 2004-05 (when Jeff Van Gundy said, "He says he's 38, he's probably 48 and he might be 58.) Mutombo signed a two-year deal with plans to make it his last NBA contract and the expectation that those two seasons would put a suitable end to a great career. But now that the end is near, he has wavered on that plan. For the Rockets, this should be considered good news. Mutombo can only be effective if it all still matters to him, if he can muster the on-court ferocity and pride that made him such a defensive force.
    At 40-years-old and with so much more going on in his life, if Mutombo were coming back only to put in one last season and complete his contract there would be no way he could excel. He slipped markedly from his first to second season with the Rockets. Hit 40-years-old and it happens (if memory serves). But Mutombo at least sounds as if this basketball stuff still moves him. The Rockets can only hope he plays too well to walk away.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

great news

I love him as a player and as a person

who wants to sex mutombo

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

cookie monster is one good man.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just wished they'd interview Mutumbo before, after and during every game. I can't get enough of hearing that guy referring to himself in third person. When other athletes do it - it's annoying. When Mutumbo does it - it's endearing.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's a great guy but he shoudl have retired after this past season. He was awful and even Van Gundy alluded to that when wrapping up the year.

6. kingkow

kingkow Member

Im happy to hear that he can still play the coming season, but next one? please no

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Good guy but he is done as a basketball player. He is just too slow. JVG didn't play last year so no reason he will this year.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'd be happy if he could play next season but we would have to sign another backup center and move deke to the 3rd string.

9. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

well last year we had stromile swift to be the back up center
    but this year, stro is gone, lampe is gone
    unless u want juwan to be your backup C
    but you know he will get his minutes as a PF

so my prediction is this: 10mins at PF and 10 minutes at C
    our sixth man

10. Ryan Bowen MVP

You gotta love Mutumbo and his will to stay in the game. Now he isn't making that much money anymore, and he's still donating most of it away. That set aside, I still believe we should find someone that can share minutes with him in the backup center position. I think he will come in most useful if we go into the playoffs and he "steps it up" as most veterans do.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

MAN OF THE YEAR

12. Docsdock

Docsdock Member

You got that right :D Deke is a magnificent human being. He'll be servicable back up center. And I think he still has a few tricks he needs to teach Yao.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Les should pay him to be a scout or coach or something. I'm not sure he has much left as a player. Fortunately Yao is durable and is building up his stamina.

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He is an outstanding human being and he could be the 15th man for another 10 years as far as I am concerned.

15. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

If he has the same type of year he did last year, then no way will he still be around after this year. Not even as a 15th man. We need a backup for this upcoming season. If only he can play like he did 2 years ago!

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

LOL, I dont think you get what glynch wanted to say. :p

17. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

haha no no I completely understood

i was just strictly talking business.

18. Omer

Omer Member

Amazing, I just hope he keeps those pimp slapping our oppnenets with those sexy blocks of his.

19. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

wITH GREAT PASSION TO THE GAME OF BASKETBALL THAT HE ENDURED BUT ALSO WITH GREAT HEART TO CHANGE THE LIVES OF HUNDRED AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE.

Mutombo you are "The Man"! We salute you! :cool:

20. MONON

MONON Member

I think Deke to Yao will work better than C. Jones to Hakeem did.