1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dikembe Mutombo to lead court dedications in India

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pete Chilcutt, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Nice read on Deke.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/12/09/mutombo.india/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

NEW YORK, MUMBAI, India and CHENNAI, India -- The National Basketball Association announced today that newly appointed NBA Global Ambassador Dikembe Mutombo is in India this week to unveil two newly refurbished basketball courts in Mumbai and to break ground on a court in Chennai. Created in conjunction with the Basketball Federation of India (BFI), HP, and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), these projects are part of the NBA's long-term commitment to grow basketball participation and promote healthy, active lifestyles through NBA Cares, the league's social responsibility initiative.

"Social responsibility is core to the NBA's mission and is an important component in the league's growth in India," said NBA International President Heidi Ueberroth. "The NBA seeks to promote education and healthy, active lifestyles through NBA Cares. We are pleased to partner with BFI, HP, and TCS to provide these refurbished courts and new e-learning resources in Mumbai and Chennai."

Two courts and an e-learning center will be unveiled on Dec. 9 at St. Dominic Savio High School and Boys Home in Mumbai. More than 1,500 children will benefit from the resurfaced courts and new basketball equipment. HP, TCS, and the NBA have provided St. Dominic Savio with resources to create a new e-learning center, which will be outfitted with networking and HP computers to provide the faculty new tools to improve teaching methods for its students.

The new courts in Mumbai will also host the Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA Hoop School Tournament of Mumbai on Dec. 12 and 13, featuring 25 local schools that were part of the program, which launched in November 2008.

On Dec. 11, a ground-breaking ceremony will be held at the YMCA College of Physical Education in Chennai. The new court and equipment will greatly enhance the training of the nearly 450 students studying to be physical education teachers at the YMCA. In addition, the computer lab at the school will be outfitted with networking and HP computers to provide the students the means to take their education beyond the classroom.

"There is great enthusiasm for basketball in India," said BFI Secretary General Harish Sharma. "The refurbished courts will provide children a better place to play and practice their skills. Along with the NBA, we look forward to refurbishing more courts for children to play on."

Clinics for the students and local youth lead by Mutombo will highlight both events. Additionally, Mutombo will stay in Chennai to run a coaching clinic at the YMCA on Dec. 12 and 13. The new courts and clinics are part of the NBA and BFI's ongoing partnership to grow basketball in India and will help to teach basketball fundamentals and speed player and coach development. Since 2008, the NBA has held a variety of events in India, including Basketball without Borders, the inaugural Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA Hoops School, a court dedication at Nagpada House in Mumbai, and an NBA Jam mall tour. A number of NBA players and legends, including Baron Davis, Robert Parish, and Dominique Wilkins, have run clinics for local youth and coaches as wel

2. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

This is random, and really has nothing to do with the thread, but there hasn't even been an Indian player in the NBA, has there?

3. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I dont think so, My thread was random too dont worry, just saw an article on Deke and thought people would like to know what he is up to.

4. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Pete. I am so glad you posted this information. I stay in Chennai and i cannot believe that i did not hear about this news earlier . Thanks a million for this .
    And yeah. The court is very close to the place i stay in and i am gonna try and get a pic or an autograph from deke.
    Whoa. Never thought a rocket would come to my home town. Unreal.

5. Notorious_Flava

Dikembe.... stop spending your time in India and come back out of retirement!!!! we could still use you!

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i have visited India before...you wouldn't believe how poverty stricken the place is with the exception of a few areas. Makes mex. look nice :eek:

7. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

hmm. where did you go and when ?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if the local children will just use the newly dedicated basketball courts to play cricket or something. :)

9. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

LOL! . very much possible. we also play "mini" football on basketball courts. 5 on 5. :p

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Of course it's poverty stricken but there are plenty of nice places in cities like Bombay, Hyderebad, & Bangalore. I always have a blast when I visit India. Goa is the bomb too.