1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dikembe Mutombo, "All the media can go over and interview the new league MVP"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Rob English

Rob English Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Yao_outduels_Shaq_as_Rockets_c-195200-34.html

Yao outduels Shaq as Rockets rout Heat

Damien Pierce
    Rockets.com Staff Writer

MIAMI -- Shortly after the doors of the visiting locker room swung open for the media to enter Sunday night, Rockets reserve center Dikembe Mutombo directed the group of reporters to the back of the room.

He figured everyone showed up to talk to the guy sitting under the locker with a No. 11 written on it.

"All the media can go over and interview the new league MVP," said Mutombo, pointing towards the locker of Rockets center Yao Ming. "He's the best center in the league."

Who can argue anymore?

Behind one of the best performances of his young career, the Rockets' big man dominated his latest showdown against Shaquille O'Neal and carried Houston to a stunning 94-72 victory over the defending champion Miami Heat at American Airlines Arena.

The Rockets (5-2) picked up their fourth straight win and have now thumped last season's NBA Finals participants, Dallas and Miami, by a combined 53 points in two early-season games.

Besides leaving South Beach with a big win over the NBA's defending champs, the Rockets left town with suddenly the NBA's most dominating player in the paint.

Yao, who is off to the best start of his five-year career, scored 34 points and pulled down 14 rebounds in his most impressive performance against O'Neal since the two giants began squaring off in the middle.

The Rockets center is clearly entering his prime and has arguably become the game’s best big man.

"The big fella is playing at his best," Rockets guard Tracy McGrady said. "I don’t know if he can get better. He's phenomenal out there, man. Now, I know what it feels like to sit back and watch a great player right before my eyes. Guys I played with in the past got caught up in the moment just watching something great. That’s what I'm doing right now, watching something great."

Despite down-playing the comparisons to Shaq before the game, Yao clearly made his case as the league’s best center on Sunday.

He had little trouble sinking face-up jumpers over O'Neal and dazzled nearly 500 season-ticket holders from Houston with his hook shot. He scored 20 points in the second half, including a pair of dunks that he made by beating O'Neal down the court.

O'Neal scored only one point in the fourth quarter, finishing with 15 points and 10 rebounds.

Despite finally getting the better of O'Neal, Yao wasn't willing to elevate himself over the Heat’s big man after the game.

"He is the dominant center in this league, even at his age," said Yao, referring to the 34-year old Shaq. "He's not the same player in the regular season as he is in the playoffs. If it was the playoffs, I would have seen a totally different Shaq. I would say the regular season doesn’t matter. Maybe one day I could meet him in the Finals. That’s a totally different Shaq at that level."

O'Neal said he did not see any big changes in Yao's game.

"He's the same,” O'Neal said. "He's just big and 7-foot-6. Yao is really just doing what he’s supposed to be doing. He hit a lot of tough turnaround jumpers. He’s pretty much the same."

Behind Yao's elevated play, the Rockets overcame a 42-39 halftime deficit and found their shooting touch after knocking down only 35.9 percent of their shots in the first half.

Houston bolted to an 11-0 run between the end of the third quarter and beginning of the fourth to snare the lead.

McGrady, who had 12 points and eight assists, and Luther Head took care of the rest as the Rockets’ swingman found the shooting guard wide-open on the right side of the arc twice for a pair of three pointers to stretch the lead to 74-66.

Houston never let up after that in scoring the victory over the defending champs on Miami’s home court.

"It should be a statement to us," Head said. "We now know we can go in a tough atmosphere like this against a great team and get a win."

Yao, of course, made a statement of his own, even if he wasn't gushing over it after the game.

"Every time I score against (O'Neal), I’m happy like a kid," Yao said. "I feel like a kid getting candy on Halloween because it's really too hard to score against him. Too hard. He’s just a great player."

Yao isn't so bad either.

2. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

...........Mutombo has a sense of humor..

He had some funny quote from story took place in yao's resturant, first posted on SI, if not mistaken.

3. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

uncle mutombo always givin funny quotes.

i hope refs don't give technicals to him again when he waves his finger after a block.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am glad we have Yao Ming to take over where Hakeem left. His personality fits Hakeem's and he is living Hakeem's motto...

"Stay humble and stay hungry"

5. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Mutombo is a living quote legend. "Who wants to sex Mutombo" and now this.

6. tsunami

tsunami Member

I am impressed with Yao's humility.

7. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Im in shock that the reporters actually understood what Mutombo said. :eek: :D Go Mutombo.

8. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

YAO for MVP? undoubtedly!!!! :D

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I love it when Bullard does his Mutombo impersonation, he sounds like Chewbacca. Clyde, on the other hand, sounds like he is trying to do the voice from Seinfeld.

10. kjames44

kjames44 Member

This article just shows off our team chemistry...great for Deke to have fun with the reporters and point them to Mt. Yao at the other end of the locker room. Also it's nice to see Yao is still gracious of Shaq and not thumping his chest. Shaq has four rings and Yao is seeking his first playoff series victory. Everyone knows that to the "victor goes the spoils" and you have to win the war and not just a few battles baby! :p

11. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

nice to see old man deke is gracious about yao's dominance...couldnt imagine what deke would be like if he was all jealous and aggressive :p

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People keep saying "Yao's the best center in the league".......Well,Deke's right.The truth is..He's the best "PLAYER" in the league.

#12 Plowman, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  13. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Shaq has had some great years and won his championships. But think about it this way. Coming in to the league when young, Shaq got completely punked by a Rocket center. Now as he is aging and soon to be going out of the league, he is still getting punked by a Rocket center. That has to hurt!!! :D

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think I saw TMac hugging Yao right before they both came out last night and he was saying something like "you're the man now".

No more 'potential'. No more 'someday Yao will be great'. Someday is now. This is Yao's team and it's his year.

15. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

What a sore effin loser.

16. yaominn

yaominn Member

what he has been doing all these years is basically passing the torch from on rox center to the other rox center.

17. qrui

qrui Member

yao was already the most dominanting center before he started the game. :rolleyes: :D :D

18. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

I'm happy to see TMAC work as a ball distributor so well, but if he can get his shooting touch back, together with Yao's current play, we are a championship caliber team.

19. YAO&MAC

YAO&MAC Member

Well, if he can do what he has done in last two games, then who can actually challenge his ''MVP'' title.

20. YAO&MAC

YAO&MAC Member

Yup.... and + the way we are playing D. We have actually got the 06-07 Title already. :p