1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Diet] Eat to Live?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slcrocket, Dec 1, 2009.

1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

So my sister bought this book for everyone in my family, and after having read it a few times, I think I'm going to give it a go...everything he says makes a lot of sense, but the effects it's had on my sister's life have been pretty incredible.

A few years back, my sister developed a rare nerve disorder for which there isn't a cure, just steroid treatments every six weeks or so. She started desperately looking for anything to help her, and she came across Fuhrman's book. After studying it out and comparing it with other texts from other nutritionists, she went for it.

The steroids had caused her to gain roughly 60-70 pounds and she had become very self-conscious about her figure. On the diet, she lost all the weight and the disease went into remission . It's now been a couple of years since she's had an infusion and she feels fantastic. She doesn't completely stick to the diet, but she follows most of it in principle and insists that she's never felt better.

Anybody ever try it? Read the book? Have any thoughts? I was curious to see if anybody else in Clutchfans world had ever looked into it.

Thanks!

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Can you give a basic run down of what the diet consist of?

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Reading it now. According to the book, you MUST finish reading it before you start the plan or it will not work.

It is not a temporary thing, it is a permanent change. I feel like I am ready because I took a big step 18 months ago when I stopped eating all animals except seafood and eggs occasionally. That stuff goes next, maybe after cutting way back on the sugar (again). I was drinking 6-7 sodas a day, now i am down to maybe one.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Probably similar to the Eat Clean diet book.

Amazing how it blows people's minds that eating normal, healthy food makes you feel better.

5. slcrocket

Sure - I know I won't be EXACTLY accurate here, but it's essentially advocating a diet made up of roughly 90% unrefined plant food (fruits/vegetables). Animal products are strong discouraged (only in extreme moderation).

I don't know that I take everything he says as gospel, but it's hard for me to argue with advocating increased fruit & veggie consumption.

But then, I'm no nutrition expert.

6. slcrocket

Mulder - that's cool...if I get going with this, I can know that there's at least another Clutchfanner out there who can feel my pain (at least while I'm coping with the withdrawal from my addictions to horrible foods). :)

The hardest thing I think after reading the book a few times is that the prep time for meals is going to be SO much more intensive than what I'm used to.

7. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I would have a tough time with this diet, as my diet consist mainly of meat.

8. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

I was just thinking the same thing as I was reading the original post. It also amazes me more than anything when I hear that people actually drink 4-6 cans of sugar per day. I can't imagine how bad people must feel after that many sodas.

9. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

And this does sound like a good christmas gift to give someone. Even though, I'm sure you have to be careful who you give it to, some people are sensitive..... "are you calling ME fat???"

10. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

[​IMG]

11. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

That right there sounds like snake oil sales talk. As far as the diet goes, I think that outside of rare exceptions, we were meant to eat meat and plants. I agree with eating clean, and farm-raised food >>>>>>> factory food - but I can't find a single sensible argument for veggie diets over paleo ones.

12. slcrocket

I originally felt the same way. This book blew me away. Again, I'm not qualified enough (or smart enough) to say that this is just how it is, but it's pretty sobering stuff.

13. FFz

FFz Member

All that protein from the meat once its broken down needs to be cleared because ammonium is toxic to the body. Ur liver needs to make it into urea and then ur kidneys need to secrete it. Average american diet eats way more protein than daily need.

14. Voice of Reason

Veggie diets are a lot healthier:

cholesterol-free
    lower in saturated fat
    higher fiber
    lower calories
    easier on the digestive system
    more antioxidants

15. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

the damn vegetarians are bad for the planet

do you know how much waste cows produce? how much energy they consume? their CO2 production alone is more harmful to the environment than all the vehicles in the world combined

eat a steak save the planet

lolz

16. Buck Turgidson

Everything in moderation, some things more moderated than others.

Exercise. It's not only what you eat, it's your lifestyle. How many hours a day are you sitting on your ass?

It really is that simple.

[/diet book]

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

China Study, Diet For A New America, Eat to Live - all great books that extol the virtues of a plant-based diet. Vegetarian and vegan diets are often laughed at and dismissed as being unhealthy and/or extreme, but from everything I've read and understood, it's mind-boggling how various industries can influence the government in their official "daily food requirement" guidelines. Americans eat way more protein and calcium than the human body needs, and the overabundance of protein, calcium, and cholesterol lead to some many of the health problems that plague wealthy countries.

I know everyone hates vegetarians, but just because it's not popular, and just because it's the social and cultural norm to eat meat, doesn't mean there aren't extraordinary benefits from abstaining.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm all for eating healthy but all of you guys advocating vegetarian diets need to understand what you are getting yourselves into. The biggest caveat against a vegetarian diet is that you have to look to get all your essential amino acids (building blocks of proteins) whereas they are almost always in animals.

For example, do not buy into the hype that you can get the necessary proteins you need from beans and milk, etc. Each of those contains a certain number of the essential amino acids. Therefore, you will need to supplement your diet with some other vegetarian source of the remaining amino acids to be healthy.

The second thing necessary to understand is that Vitamin B12 needs to be supplemented as it is found in low amounts in vegetarian diets. Vegans must eat foods that are artificially fortified with B12 while regular vegetarians can eat eggs and dairy products.

Know what you are going into, stick to a healthy plan, consult a professional and you should be good to go.

19. Buck Turgidson

There are extraordinary benefits from being an omnivore, as well.

20. rocketshopeful

I tried this for 2 weeks and gave up. Takes a lot of will power.