1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Diet] Attempting to cut out all types of bread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by UtilityPlayer, Jul 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya, it's called a non-sedentary lifestyle.

Unfortunately most jobs/careers involve a sedentary work environment and for most Americans burning 3000 calories a day is difficult.

I believe an average adult male below the age of 50 living a sedentary life style(which most of us do) burns around 2200-2600 calories a day. That would mean one would have to find a time to burn between 400-800 calories a day. Unfortunately most individuals I see at the gym spend possibly 30 minutes to an hour doing some light resistance training or some light cardio that couldn't burn more than 300 calories. Burning 3000 calories a day for most Americans is difficult especially if they have a sedentary desk job from 9-5.

#61 fchowd0311, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yea some bread can be hard to cut. You can always consider just rip a piece off by hand.

3. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I believe most people do not burn 2200-2600 calories at rest, maybe athletes or people in really good shape but a sedentary person is probably in the 1500-1900 kcal range. Per Livestrong.com,
    Women are around 1500 kcals at rest and men are at 1660.

#63 franchise403, Jul 22, 2015
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm trying to just eat veggies while at work, since at work is where I usually eat the worst. Just bought new pants and the waist size made me sad.

5. fchowd0311

That is basal metabolic rate which is at complete rest as in you are sleeping in bed for 24 hours or in a coma.
    A sedentary life style still has an individual walking, standing, doing mundane tasks such as brushing teeth, taking a shower, chewing etc which would be around 2200-2600 kcals.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What I found interesting is even if you exercise daily with running, weights, etc. ... they are now saying just sitting down a lot in between will still kill you with diabetes and such. They were saying to get up and move around during commercial breaks to stop you from sitting for longer periods. So, all the daily exercise and just because I'm sitting on my sofa at night watching TV, you are still going to have elevated risks. And, just think most people sit around at work a lot. You can't win. Move or die basically.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well that didn't last long.

8. Asian Sensation

1) A Carb is a carb. Whether it's white bread, wheat bread, grain bread, white, rice, brown rice white potato or red etc.

2) carbs aren't bad for you.

3) mixing carbs and high fats can make you pack on weight. fries, chips, ice cream, cake, pizza etc.

My point? Cutting out "bread" is pointless. Just eat carbs with lean protein and veggies.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There is no attempt.

There is only do.

-Buddha

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  11. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

Even though RMR is higher than BMR its still not as high as your range:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8125870

Abstract
    This study examined gender differences in resting metabolic rate (RMR) across a broad age spectrum after controlling for differences in body composition and aerobic fitness. Three hundred twenty-eight healthy men (17-80 yr) and 194 women (18-81 yr) volunteers were characterized for RMR, body composition, physical activity, peak oxygen consumption (peak VO2), anthropometrics, and energy intake. Measured RMR was 23% higher (P < 0.01) in men (1,740 +/- 194 kcal/day) than in women (1,348 +/- 125 kcal/day). Multiple regression analysis showed that 84% of individual variation in RMR was explained by fat-free mass, fat mass, peak VO2, and gender. After controlling for differences in fat-free mass, fat mass, and peak VO2, a lower RMR (3%; P < 0.01) persisted in women (1,563 +/- 153 kcal/day) compared with men (1,613 +/- 127 kcal/day). Adjusted RMR in premenopausal (P < 0.01) and postmenopausal (P < 0.05) women was lower than in men of a similar age. Our results support a lower RMR in women than in men that is independent of differences in body composition and aerobic fitness.

12. conquistador#11

Is bread a carb?

I love my bread and tortillas to cut them all out. What I do instead is cut it in half. I used to eat 1 grilled PB&J with 2 slices of bread. Now, I'll eat it with one slice.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

This is what i mean by ignorance. ****ing calorie counting. Its the exact same **** parents preach their kids 'eat less and exercise more to lose weight'. It lacks any understanding of how the body stores energy or why. Its coming from a total lack of knowledge on biochemistry.

You do realize your caloric output would change depending on your caloric intake? the body reacts and adjusts. Don't believe me? try starving yourself and see how much energy your body outputs (not gonna be 2200-2600). You should adjust your equation to factor in caloric intake affecting caloric outtake amongst a million other things . Your equation failed to even factor in what a person eats, just how much. That kind of matters.

#73 tallanvor, Jul 22, 2015
  14. fchowd0311

Did I state anywhere that caloric intake is the only barometer for a fit lifystyle? Damn dude, stop jumping the gun. Caloric intake is A PART of watching one's fitness level and weight.

At the end of the day a caloric deficit is required to loose weight. It is impossible to loose body fat without a caloric deficit. That doesn't mean go starve yourself. Obviously the right type of food is required to maintain energy levels for an active lifestyle.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

And people starve themselves while calorie counting because they want results in 1 week or they give up. Once again, calorie counting works if you keep it within spec and if its sustainable. If you are eating 2400 calories a day, cut out 400 and start exercising.

Of course the morons cutting to 1300 a day will fail. THAT LIFESTYLE ISN'T EVEN SUSTAINABLE.
    The fact of the matter is the breakfast/lunch/dinner portions in the US are way too large and eating less crap is a start. You can't avoid dieting unless you want a myriad of health problems in the future because you want to cut out a essential food group to take a shortcut.

You are right in that not every calorie is the same, but you still need a caloric deficit to lose weight, and a caloric excess to gain muscle. Hence cutting and bulking cycles.
    Also duh. Mr. Dwyane Johnson can lose weight eating 3000 calories a day, because his body requires more fuel than the average person to compensate for that. His baseline is higher, calorie counting still applies.

#75 RedRedemption, Jul 22, 2015
  16. fchowd0311

It is possible to gain muscle mass with a caloric deficit however there is a plateau.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1 bread = 1 carb

18. RedRedemption

Noob gains.
    After that yeah.

But noob gains are pathetic haha, shouldn't even count. :grin:

19. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

A photo should accompany any nutritional advice given.

20. RedRedemption

Sure thing breh. I'm in a middle of my clean bulk so not as cut as I want but its manageable.

[​IMG]