1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Diet] Attempting to cut out all types of bread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by UtilityPlayer, Jul 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Well yes lowering # of carbs is the key , the type of carbs is where the greatness lies ...lol

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Or you could just eat in moderation

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Dude just hit the gym and watch your calorie intake

No need to cut out bread. You'll end up consuming worse calories elsewhere like a bag of Cheetos or some cookies.

4. grt004

grt004 Member

Cutting out bread? wth.... don't fall for the propaganda about carbohydrates. Why not eat more fruits and vegetables? Or Lay off the protein; studies have shown that consuming .36 g of protein/ lean body weight is sufficient. If you are trying to build muscle, then .70 g of protein/ lean body weight is more than enough. Cutting out one particular item won't lead to weight loss if you are going to compensate eating more of x, y, or z. Just eat well balanced diet of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein sources.

I could go on about the metabolism of carbohydrates if any one cares.

Source:
    Consolazio GF, et al. Protein metabolism during intensive physical training in the young adult. Am J Clin Nutr 1975; 28:29-35

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Amen. It's about self control and dicipline.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A friend told me to cut all white foods
    Sugar, Salt, Potatoes, Breads, etc

Seems to be an indicator of high Carbs and bad health

Rocket River
    Saying it and doing it are 2 different things

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sweet potatoes are nice

9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

You'll never be a magic mike model

Just eat bread

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yup.

Keto is for diabetics that NEED to avoid gluten.
    And now its a fad diet.

11. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Not trying to be that level, just leaner.

12. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Also trying to shed a few pounds myself. Like 10-15 lbs. Anyone have any tips besides just portion control (i.e., lowering my caloric intake) and exercising more. Trying to cut off processed food and just eat more fruits and veggies. Don't really drink a bunch of milk or sodas, I mainly drink water.

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Mix it up. Just because you should be eating healthier doesn't mean it's gotta be lean chicken breast and brown rice with every meal. Find a diet where you feel comfortable eating well for the rest of your life and it doesn't feel like you're on a diet. Because if you do a fad diet, the moment you fall off the wagon, that weight is going to avalanche back onto you.

IIFYM. If it fits your macros, it doesn't really matter if you have a scoop or two of ice cream as long as you're meeting your macro-nutrient and caloric goals. Stay active almost everyday and be smart about portion control. You don't gotta eliminate any food group. Just exert some will power and save the rest of a big plate served at a restaurant as a lunch the following day. Just use some common sense.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Our body is not designed to consume carbs. Bread has only been around for a tiny fraction of time relative to our existence as a species.

Carbs spike your blood sugar, period. Your body has to produce insulin to counteract this or you will die, and insulin promotes fat accumulation more than any other hormone.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

OP, you trying to cut out just bread, or all carbs, completely?

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Just avoid breads with HFCS and you should be good. Trader Joe whole wheat bread is usually safe for a low carb diet.

17. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Well I want to completely cut out bread, I do need some carbs to function. It is about the " right" carbs.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

mmkay, not sure if you're into dieting programs / regiments, per se, but...

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

That might be beneficial to you. I dunno.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I always love the failed history discussions on this board claiming humans have never eaten carbs until modern times. Bread /discussion

Don't be a fool - eating bread is totally ok. I have eaten flour tortillas three times this week and my third testicle hasn't had a reaction yet.

20. grt004

grt004 Member

The internet is full of erroneous information, and you sir don't help mitigate it. First, ever heard of gluconeogenesis or glycolysis? Our body uses glucose as the main source of energy, which comes from a majority of which macronutrient? Yeah, CARBOHYDRATES. Our muscles have a thing called glycogen, which is comprised of what? Yeah, glucose. If we ate little to no carbs, our body would using more gluconeogenesis pathways: a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrates.
    So, our body is not meant to eat carbs, yet we have metabolic pathways that produce sugars. Even DNA is comprised from sugars. Our brain can only use glucose as a form of energy, in fact it needs 25% of circulating glucose to function. You also talk about insulin as if it were a soldier sniping down glucose. It doesn't work that way. High blood sugar causes secretion of insulin to carry them to muscle or liver cells to be used as energy. While glucagon carries glucose to the blood when concentrations get too low. These are two hormones that work together to regulate blood sugar levels. They also signal all sorts of metabolic pathways, but....
    I don't have the time or crayons to try and explain this to you.

1 person likes this.