1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dierker does it AGAIN !!!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Oct 12, 2001.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

With a runner at 2nd with 2 outs and the number 8 hitter batting....Dierker elects to let Reynolds pitch to Bako....with the pitcher on deck....and BOOM...2 run homer.

JESUS !!!! I think he has lost his marbles, he needs to go see Peter Pan and see if he can find them for him.

Stros off to another horrible start.

GRRRRR !!!!

DaDakota

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

he wants to get fired.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Dierker!

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Freak that. Im pissed at Dierker and all, but with one stroke of the bat Paul Bako showed more Clutchness than any Astro the last 15 years has ever had.

How many more times can we afford baserunners in scoring position with nothing to show for it?

Why cant the Astros run a pitch count outside of 2 pitches?

Take the pitch and slap it the other way. Every pitcher worth a hill of beans in the world knows to pitch the Stros low and away, cause they have no patience.

Ive been caustiously optimistic up until that last inning. Right now this whole team (Starting from the very top and the owner) needs to be put to pasture.

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I posted this in a terminally displaced thread, but could it be true? What do you think?:
    A lot of people are saying that Dierker's seizure has caused himself to transform from a happy-go-lucky type person to one who has become a jerk, short with the media and highly cynical and critical....There are those that said look: I've been around Dierk almost my whole life and the the Dierk you see making bonehead calls is not the same guy I knew 10 - 15 years ago, who was brimming so full of baseball knowledge, and positive, happy demeanor...I mean, remember this guy ate, drank, and slept Baseball practically all his life. If anyone should know the inner workings of the game it should be him (this was mainly off the sports radio show) and it can't help, but think that Larry has not been the same since the seizure and it may have adversely affected his baseball decision-making abilities. After that, Russ or Charlie said Look: In no way am I saying Larry is suffering through dementia, but my father is 80 years old in a retirement home and suffered a stroke during his near retirement years and the progression of change was evident...He became a father I knew as patient, kind, and loving to one who slowly but surely regressed to one short-tempered, short and easily confused.
    Now, personally many know what I'm talking about and I really am worried about Larry's health. I've seen the signs and I know I am not a doctor to diagnose the situation, I can't help but think the events at the Astrodome, which caused Larry to suffer the seizure may have caused long-term adversity regarding how he was and how he is now. Several people close to Larry are very concerned about his well-being, but it is hard to address the situation.

Please note that most of these sentiments were derived from 610 yesterday afternoon, but I kinda agree. What do you think?

6. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I think it's possible. I don't think it's in question whether he's changed or not. . . he has. whether it's the seizure or him just becoming bitter about the criticism, the losing last year, or some combination of all those factors. . . he's definitely not the Dierk of old.

I think he wants to get fired because I think he's tired of all the crap he gets as manager from players and fans. the broadcast booth is much easier.

so, as a continuation of my poll from the other day. . . who is the best choice for Astros manager?

1) larry dierker
    2) tony pena
    3) felipe alou
    4) tom kelly
    5) nolan ryan

7. ROXRAN

either 2 or 3 in my opinion.

8. red

red Contributing Member

having a couple of beers at work + having to run experiments + the astros losing = bad day...i hate to say it but i think dierker needs to go. when a team reaches the playoffs im pretty much against axing a coach but in this case im just fed up with just geting there...the rockets damned houston by winning 2 championships thus making us fans expect more...

9. ROXRAN

I think Dierk has evidently lost the team....sad :(

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not sure if the Seizure has changed him, but the way he is mismanaging the team, he is giving us fans a seizure.

DaDakota

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The team sucks in crunch time. Dierker's decision making doesn't help but I don't think you can make a good decision with the way the Astros are playing. They just plain suck in the playoffs.

WE SUCK!!!!!!!! GOT IT?????????

:mad:

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Doesn't matter who's coaching if they can't hit for the Astros.

13. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Everybody WARD UP!!!!!
    He just hit a homer!:D

14. Band Geek Mobster

WHY WASN'T CHRIS TRUBY OUT THERE?!?!?!?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Chipper Jones just hit a 2 run homer off of Dotel...:(:mad:

I'll be seeing you Astros Fans guys next year!

16. mfclark

mfclark Member

Game. Set. Match. Dotel gives up a two run homer to Chipper Jones.

Shows that even the right moves can backfire.

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Someone the other day said they would rather have Bagwell than Jones:confused:

18. AllenLeavell

AllenLeavell Member

What type of curse has been place on our beloved
    Astros. Damm i can't handle this again . every freakin year
    please some one help us. All my life disappointment after disappointment the stros have no clue . First we need a centerfielder then a shortstop. Lugo just not going to cut it . Maybe he will play winter ball to get batter to practiceon the fundamental.

19. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I could of told u that Lugo sucked. I never liked his defensive abilitys. Hes a smart player on offense, but his defense is bad.

First thing though is to get Dierker out of houston. Find some manager who is smart and knows who to put in at the right time.

20. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

This team has a great offensive lineup, a great starting pitching staff (before the playoffs, of course), & a great bullpen. What this team doesn't have is a strong, vocal leader, that isn't afraid to get in the face of a teammate & tell him when he sucks (even if it's Bagwell or Biggio).

I hesitate to blame Dierker for everything, but he's not a motivator. He seems to almost have a defeatist attitude more often than not. He doesn't seem to inspire confidence in his players that they can still win it. I don't question his in game moves & knowledge, just his blaise attitude.

We either need to bring in a veteran player to take charge of the locker room or we need a new coach. Felpe Alou would be a great coach, but I'm not sure that he'd be the motivator that we need. We need a coach like the one that used to coach Baltimore. I don't recall his name, but he was always on ESPN's highlights arguing with the umpires & kicking dirt on the homeplate. He, or a coach like him, would get this team fired up. :D