1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did you change your vote based on Russian Interference?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Feb 23, 2018.

?

Did you change your vote based on Russian Interference

Poll closed Mar 2, 2018.
  1. Yes, Russian trolls convinced me to vote for Trump

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No, I voted for the person I always planned to vote for

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Oh yes, I can totally see Trump voters 1) doing enough research to know they were influenced by Russians and 2) being humble enough to admit it.

Yep. That seems totally likely.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the release of private correspondences of one side which is directly tied to Russian efforts and the absolute avalanche of memes and click bait headlines that sensationalized the leaks definitely effected TURNOUT.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are wasting your time trying to reason with people that legitimately think that a Russian troll farm changed the results of the election. Those are clearly emotional people looking for a scapegoat so that they don't have to admit what really happened.....that the people simply rejected the awful candidate they put forth in favor of the other awful candidate.

deadlybulb and cml750 like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's a waste of time because so few on the right in here will admit that they voted for Trump. Like you.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The media picking it up and spreading it like widefire.... hard to said it didn't have an impact. But again, the point is being missed. We will never know. We can only know it has an impact, but to what extend, who knows. But exactly because the potential is there, we shouldn't be allowing this. It's pretty simple that we do not want this... until it's helpful to the GOP and Trump, than it's super cool and okay. [they of course should realize that they were also going for Bernie... Trump today, maybe some crazy Russian-loving liberal tomorrow]

6. cml750

cml750 Member

delete

#26 cml750, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A significant part of the problem is Russian trolls pretend to be Americans. I seriously doubt that anybody who had been affected by the deceptions is even going to be able to figure it out at this point.

Do you remember every pro Trump tweet and blog post you read 15 months ago, and have you gone back and vetted each and every one of them? How about 2nd order effects? Have you vetted the things read by the authors of things you've read?

I'm going to bet if you went to CPAC and asked everybody if they'd ever read something written by Russian catfishers, pretty much nobody would believe they had, but a very significant proportion would have at least seen something at one point.

Self reporting is a horrible measure here because self delusion is a significant factor in the process. You might as well be asking conservatives if they'd ever been affected by climate change. If they aren't willing to admit it exists in the first place, the answer is always going to be "no".

Xenon, calurker, CometsWin and 6 others like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I had error in m response. I corrected it, and I suspect you don't agree with corrected response.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

To expand, a significant part of the problem (a feature), is when the POTUS (candidate at the time, but still doing so today) is pushing the Russian troll's messages as if it's his own message to Americans.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I know!

How about self-deportation?

...All the cool illegals are doing it...

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It didn't change mine (I obviously voted for Hillary), but I can't tell you how many people I knew that were conservative leaning, weren't hot about Trump, but were inundated with Right Wing talking points to lead them to think & parrot that Hillary was SO BAD and so dangerous to the country that they held their noses and voted for Trump. This was propaganda influencing un-educated voters. Simply nothing more than that.

Its only after voting for Trump that this year they've been trying to convince themselves they did the right thing.

So yeah... Russian influence through social media had a huge influence in many people I know. Its only part of it (propaganda coming from FoxNews played the biggest part) but yeah... the culmination certainly got people out to vote for Trump or suppress votes for Hillary.

There's no way possible to quantify people's thoughts, and what was the lynchpin for their decision making. Most of them don't even know themselves, or wouldn't want to admit it. That's why the OP posed the question because he was setting up "See I told you so" answer to a question that he knew there was no quantifiable answer to. Its a very disingenuous and trolling attempt at having a reasonable objective conversation about what to do with foreign influence in our elections.

Oh and FYI... It was just reported in the news yesterday that Russian backed forces in Syria literally attacked US troops. But un-patriotic Americans like the OP are literally laying propaganda to tell Americans that Russians are our friends, and this half baked Nationalism Trump is selling is good for the country.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/politics/russia-syria-us-troops/index.html

Simply speaking.... we have been attacked, and are still being attacked. If you want to be a part of Mother Russia, F-Ing move there yourself. I hear its nice in the Summer.

12. Nook

Nook Member

You like what you have seen from him so far huh?

What part do you like the best?......

Is it having a habitual liar as President?

Is it having a President that has drastically increased the deficit?

Is it having a President that has at a minimum surrounded himself with criminals?

Is it having a President that has shown no moral compunction with two affairs now being exposed, including paying off mistresses?

Is it having a President that is the most divisive in 100 years?

Is it having a President actively being investigated for illegal activities?

Is it having a President that has legitimized the misfits that the main stream conservative movement has backed away from for being extremists?

I get that you didn't like Hilary Clinton. However to have you double down on Trump is either revealing or comical; I cannot really decide.

CometsWin likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

Based on the quality of your posts here and how much stupid nonsense you believe, you almost certainly did. You are exactly the type of person that would read the junk they pushed and believe it 100% without any critical analysis.

Anticope and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you subtract the Russianleaks tell me how Trumps campaign even attacks Hillary?

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Paragon of untainted truthiness Fox news told me your predictably liberal response would be like this and now you've proved it!

LOLOLOL U BRAINWASHED

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Remember, just use this guy's voice when you read russianlegend posts...
    [​IMG]
    Comedy gold.

leroy likes this.
  17. Anticope

Anticope Member

Of course you would and no one is surprised that a supposedly devout Christian such as yourself would completely abandon your principles to vote for a thrice-married p***y grabber who is the antithesis of everything Christians supposedly stand for.You'll have to show me where in the bible Jesus stated that "the end justifies the means."

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Voting for Trump because of Russian influence doesn't indicate someone is weak-minded. The very act of voting for Trump, regardless of why, is what shows someone is weak-minded. I mean, people voted for a game show host who would bomb a sixth grade civics test.

mdrowe00, Amiga, JuanValdez and 2 others like this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Did you buy from Geico because of that gecko in the ads? Nobody thinks they are influenced by advertisements, but we know that advertising works. So you probably can't get a clear-eyed assessment from someone on why they bought Trump either. We have generally acknowledged, even during the campaigning, that Trump's chances benefited from the fact that he managed to have so many people talking about him so much -- free media coverage, dominated social media interactions, etc. I give Trump credit for being good at generating headlines, but we now know in retrospect that the volume of conversation about Trump was augmented by Russian trolls.

CometsWin likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Some are in denial ...

#40 No Worries, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    calurker likes this.