1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the Rockets get the best deal to eat unwanted player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showthread.php?p=5388913#post5388913

One of the topics discussed by Chad Ford and Bill Simmons in their latest podcast (long, and well worth listening to in its entirety if you have the time), is a comparison of all of the salary dumping/eating moves. Ford thinks OKC got a great deal in getting the 18th for the 32nd by simply eating a relatively cheap D. Cook, who was much cheaper than Hinrich (eaten by WAS in exchange for 17th). In comparison to these, Ford and Simmons agreed the Knicks paid a lot for the Jeffries dump to Houston (especially because they could have dumped him a couple seasons ago to SAC for Kenny Thomas (contract expiring this year) by just adding Nate Rob.

So, do you think the Rockets got the best deals as a player salary eater?

There could be ones I forgoat, and there may be more such deals later in the summer, but so far I count the following:

1. Rockets: Jeffries eating for Hill, 2011 pick exchange (top 1 protected), 2012 pick (top 5 protected)

2. OKC: MoPete eating +21st + 26th in 2010 for 2010 11th (Aldrich).

3. WAS: Hinrich eating for 17th (K. Seraphin)

4. OKC: Cook eating for 18th (Bledsoe, who was shipped off for protected future 1st rounder from Clips).

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think we did... specially b/c that 2011 pick could turn into another lottery pick if NY strikes out in 2011...

--RB

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Forget the picks. If Morey wasn't BSing when he talked about Hill in Rileydog's thread, then we already made out like bandits. I know the consensus during the Jeffries trade was that Hill was basically a throw-in. But I have a feeling Morey really did want him, but knew his stock was so low he pretty much acted like Hill was mediocrity.

4. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Here's an entry from Simmons' draft diary:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100625

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed. I think Dantoni KILLED Hill's trade value. It's obvious. But Hill is a high 1st round pick. So really we took Jeffires for Hill, 1st Pick Swap, 2012 NY 1st. That's a sweet package. And Jeffires is an expiring too. Some players being moved aren't. Getting Hinrich isn't bad because he is productive, but he has years left on his deal.

Looking back at that deal and then the side deal of Martin for Landry and then the draft that just happened where we were able to get a Landry replacement in Patterson? Not bad at all. :cool:

6. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

This just sounds like a big@$$ game of chess with 32 players all playing against each other all at the same time. AWSOME!!!

7. Raven

Raven Member

One of the things I'm looking forward to next season is seeing Hill get more play time, hopefully as a Rocket.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree, I'm pleased with the team we have right now. I will be disappointed if we trade away much of our young talent for a big name player. When you look at the young players we have now and then add in more first round picks in 2011 and 2012, I think we are in a great position. If the Knicks can't piece together some kind of competitive team in the next few months, the Rockets will have it made in the shade.

9. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Didn't Morey call it when he said that we were going to replace Carl with someone from the draft? IMO that replacement was Patterson, and I think it is the perfect choice.