1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did The Rockets Gain Anything?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sleepy, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Did the Rockets gain anything or make the team better by bringing Gundy as the head coach? No. Some will say that Jeff brings DEFENSE.His problems in NY was the OFFENSE. Gundys style is not what the Rockets need. Since we lost out on Larry Brown. Les should've taken a different approach on a head coach by getting an ex-player that would bring the love and passion back to Houston.

2. B

B Contributing Member

Could it be in New York JVG didn't have the talent to run a high scoring offensive scheme? Didn't NY get a lot of wins because of hard nosed defense? I'm sure JVG will make adjustments based on the talent of the Rockets.

B

3. sjeev4

sjeev4 Member

i sure hope that this is the case!!!!!

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes. Passion and DISCIPLINE. Something our "young" team has never heard of.

JVG won't bring the knick offensive scheme with him. He's smart enough to adjust the scheme to fit his roster...like he did in NY.

5. munco

munco Member

You might be wrong, but I think you're wrong. We'll see in the months ahead. With that said, there's no way we'd be getting an ex-coach unless he's already proven himself. When you have the premiere job opening in the NBA you pretty much have to get a big-name coach. Really no choice. You don't get rid of Rudy T for some untested coach.

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What does Van Gundy bring? Discipline, solid defense and experience working with guards and getting them to fit into and accept a system. People keep harping on the guy's offense in New York he didn't HAVE any offensive options in New York aside from Houston and Spree. The reason that New York was able to open up the offense during their conference finals and NBA Finals run was because Camby got hot and they had a 3rd scoring option, a low post option, allowing the offense to be balanced out. When Camby got hurt, they didnt' have a 3rd option and didn't have a low post offense THUS he had to slow down the offense and bog it down. Why do you think they traded for Rice? For offense, but Rice struggled because of injuries thus they had to slow the offense down.

7. glcpimp

glcpimp Member

Gundy is so frickin' young (41?). I think he is a passionate coach who will do wonders for the rockets. I think his career should be judged by what he does here, not by the style of play that he HAD to institue in NY. The man has time to grow, and with this team he is in the best situation possible to make a great name for himself. He probably just wants the chance to prove himself...just like the team is eager to do the same

8. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

You need to remember he coached in the EAST. The WEST is different and Offesive minded. So you say He'll stop the offense in the West. Well we need offense to and from the years his teams never had it.

9. SLA

SLA Member

Wasn't the East better back then?

They didn't really gain much. Just needed a change. I am confident that Van Gundy will help the Rockets do all the simple things and be more fundamental...hopefully.

10. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Dont think the East was better. His days as the Knicks wasn't that impressive. He had the talent. A great coach makes a avg team play as a team to win. To me Rudy is great b/c he made the Rockets win with avg players 1994. Dream was the only star and then in 95 Drex came in the half of the season. But I guess its just a wait and see. To me this is the wrong move a could hurt the Rockets for a long time.

11. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

You give Van Gundy the 94 Rockets instead of the 99 Knicks and you'd see who would have won that series.

You guys are really giving these Knicks teams too much credit....when Ewing got hurt in Van Gundy's second full season that was the end of him...he was NEVER the same. All they had was LJ, Spree, and Houston for the majority of JVG's term on the Knicks.

12. xcharged

xcharged Member

Isn't the saying...When you play hard defense..you're offense will suffer?

13. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

All he had was LJ,Spree and Houston. Man I feel bad. Thats only 3 ALL-STARS on the same team. Give me a break. Oh ya Oakely.

14. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

You just called LJ, Sprewell, and Houston all-stars....and implied that Oakley was one. Learn something before you speak.

15. munco

munco Member

Rudy was a great coach, but Dream was not just a star. He was the best player in the league and the other players played their roles. Also, LJ's days as an all-star were long gone when he played under Van Gundy.

16. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Lj and Houston were All-Stars at one time. Spree and Oakely weren't so bad. Gundy had talent in New York so Dont say that his coaching is what made that team.

17. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Are you the same guy who gave Rudy all the credits for the 2 rings?
    Remind me again what your thought was/ is on that subject!

18. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Remind me of this team. I don't remember it. BTW, Dikembe Mutombo was once an all-star, so I guess the Nets are doing terrible in the Finals considering that. Get a fickuckin' clue.

Rudy had much more talent in 94 and 95.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He made the Knicks run the break effectively with Camby,Sprewell and Houston with Ewing coming off the bench to defend in the low post and got them to the finals.
    The only thing I was concerned about was his leaving the Knicks because of a possible lack of motivation on part of the players,but I feel that Les,and CD will work with him to put the best possible team on the floor. Players who slack off will have to work hard and that is a positive by itself.

20. Toast

Toast Member

That's a good question. What this team really needs out of a coach is a teacher.

I think Rudy T, great coach that he is no doubt about that, is really geared more towards veterans. You gotta have the skills & the knowlege, and in Rudy T's system, he enables players to maximize their efforts.

The current Rockets players, though, simply don't have the basketball fundamentals to be fully utilized in Rudyball. Few players really excelled last year. I think a bright spot was MoT. MoT knew how to fight for his spot on the left elbow, and work for his bread-n-butter money-hook shot.

Guys like EG, Steve, Boki ... they probably need someone who's gonna teach 'em what to do, not just facilitate.

So if JVG & his staff play the roles of teachers then yes, we gained something.