1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the Rockets do the right thing with Wood and Porter jr?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 4, 2022.

?

Did the Rockets do the right thing by suspending them and trying to rehab their value?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2022.
  1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

UNKNOWN.

It depends on the conversations they're having with these guys behind closed doors, and what the team looks like in March.

We can only react to what we see.

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Someone will almost always take a flyer on young talent. I would have suspended them longer if I planned to keep them around, but if you know you’re going to trade them for certain you might as well put the whole thing behind you as soon as possible and get them back out there.

As an aside, we know that Porter has apologized, but as far as I know there hasn’t been anything from Wood. I’m curious to see how pouty he is when he comes back. They may have been better off suspending him longer either way.

"Hail Hydra" and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

What I just don't get about KPJ is the way he's discussed here by a lot of folks and the FO. He has had one really great game against the Bucks where he dropped 50. Outside of that, he's mostly played poorly, and we get happy when instead of poorly he plays average.

KPJ is not a superstar in this league. He's not someone who rolls out of bed and drops 20 points on 50% shooting. He's not someone knocking down shots at will, or crossing guys over, or even finishing at the basket effectively. His turnovers make it almost impossible to stay competitive in the first half and usually contribute to us being blown out by the second quarter.

I only say this because if he's a problem behind the scenes, he hasn't done anything to earn superstar treatment. The FO and coaching staff need to be willing to adjust his role here soon, because I think the PG experiment is close to being over. And along the way if he can't keep his composure, then moving on from him is not a terrible thing.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am surprised by these poll results - seems that CF was full of hotheads wanting to knee jerk them to the curb, but seems like the majority realize that it is a long term plan - which is a pleasant surprise.

Some of you ready to cut them may consider a bit more before tossing them on the garbage heap.

DD

plegus likes this.
  5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'm over the whole saga... Trade them , keep them ... Who gives a damn!,,, Just don't label them as eventual locker room cancers later, when you absolutely have to get rid of one or both, when the player(s) you truly want says hell nah in the future...

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think more of a hammer is needed
    Immaturity is one thing . .. disrespect is another

Rocket River

Dobbizzle and Deckard like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Gotta say, DD, this is much more nuanced than your usual takes. :D

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I just want this season wrapped up and done with, this is ugly business.

IMO there is no right or wrong in this on the organization side unless it is too harsh.

The wrong is not trading Wood sooner and getting on board with KPJ in the first place but I can accept that.

#28 daywalker02, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    javal_lon likes this.
  9. bmelo

bmelo Member

I would trande CWood asap, first and last warning for KPJ. Along with cut minutes i would bench him for as long as he is not better than Jalen/EG

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets are doing the right thing. Some might argue about the long term implications regarding "culture", but the situation warrants it.

As much as I'd like CW gone straightaway, we get time to find the right deal while he recoups his trade value a bit before the deadline. He was likely bringing three first rounders or so before this. (due to 20/10/ability to hit from downtown/contract)

KPjr - The first thing that needs to be established with him as far as I'm concerned is his impact/improvement out top. Folks are questioning his play on the court. Well, I got news for you...In spite of having to adjust to playing point guard, you could make an argument that HE HAS been our best player. Huge strides on both sides of the ball.
    So, don't group his on court play with the mental side. The kid's been a revelation while he's out there, and wants to win more than anyone. Meanwhile, CW just doesn't give a damn.
    A lot of folks don't see Kevin's progress...and are ready to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
    I agree he needs to be accountable and continue to improve off the court, but his path to a better life from here wasn't going to be without a few bumps in the road. The powers that be seem to understand this, and are acting/working accordingly.

It's in our (YOUR ROCKETS) best interest

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The rest of the league will surely be fooled by the cunning Rockets front office.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

That's a scary thought... But I feel you on Wood ... It's a win win for both sides if he becomes professional for the next month. He may even get traded to a contender

fattz and Plowman like this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Not voting in the poll as I'm in the middle. I think we should give KPJ the chance to grow by making him earn his place on the squad, and I think we should trade Wood for anything we can get, even if it's a cheese sandwich and a stale can of pop.

fattz likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even the minority's voices should be heard and respected, does not mean the Rockets are going to do it that way.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I love you, man but I cannot agree on this.

I have no problem giving him another chance though.

Plowman likes this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Neither one of these knuckleheads will be part of the organization next year

xtruroyaltyx and Milos like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Rehab their value.” … LOL

GMs have the real background on these guys along with…
    …the empty 20&10 you & I see
    …the 6 (losing) teams he’s been on
    …the quitting
    …the hot head, unstable Kevin Porter Jr. that the Cavs could barely give away.

But sure, we gotta “rehab their value” (on a 17-win team!)

[​IMG]
    No one really believes that.
    Not now. Not 4 weeks ago. Not a season ago.

They quit. Excuse it, spin it, any way you want, …one dude left the arena, another refused to check in.

Scottie quit - maybe the most hated player in Rockets history
    T-Mac quit - still (mostly) not forgiven to this day.
    Harden quit - not forgotten
    Danuel House (who didn’t quit) brings a girl to his room - cut his ass immediately! He cost us the series! (LOL No he didn’t. Oh no, they would have lost in 6 instead of 5!)
    (BTW, same organization that did not punish House. (NBA kicked him out/sent him home) Of course they probably thought they could “rehab” his value too. :D)

Porter/Wood quit - “It’s fine. They’re young kids. Keep them. They deserve a sixth chance. If we get rid of them, we’ll regret it!”

Quitting, weak
    Suspension, weak (1 game)
    Explanation, weak (“We think it’s best for our team culture to suspend them for tonight’s game.” … HAHAHAHA)
    Houston Rockets leadership, from the top down, weak

Get rid of ‘em. The sooner, the better.
    They aren’t cornerstones, not franchise players, not building blocks, not leaders and damn sure not players I want Jalen Green, Alperen Sengun and this upcoming top 5 pick around. They are the future. They are (hopefully) future building blocks and franchise players.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Wood not playing second half was coaches decision and KPJ had an injury.
    Right?

rockets are full of ****.

If this hadn’t gotten out these guys wouldn’t have faced any suspension.

But ultimately it doesn’t matter.

Pretty sure Wood will be gone relatively soon and KPJ is a moron who can’t control his temper and has been given repeated chances because he’s a good athlete.

He’s worn out his welcome everywhere he’s been and here won’t be any different. Only a matter of time.

beardsanity713 and PWR like this.
  19. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Amen

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

+