1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the crowd chant "Kobe Sucks!"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Apr 24, 2004.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Again, to remind you...we're on the same page about the vulgarity of the chant. But, not allowing Kobe Bryant to play this season is even more wrong than the (the less vulgar but just as stupid) "Guilty" chant. As much as I dislike Bryant and his arrogance, we (Bryant, me, you and your children) all thankfully live in a country where innocence is a presumption.

Although I don't have children, I share you frustration. My cultural norm axe to grind is getting the slow drivers out of the fast lane. ;)

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I understand those of you who believe that there are places to be classy, and places not. The point of those who are saying we should act more classy, is not about whether what Kobe did do or might have done is good or acceptable or not. Its not that an NBA basketball game shouldn't be rowdy and raucous, with screaming chants and rooting for our team. Even some taunting within limits has its place. Our team needs to feel we are excited and behind them, and the crowd should be like a 6th man on the court, giving us an advantage. This should not be squelched.

The issue, is that when we attack a player on personal and moral grounds at a public event, we reveal our own fundamental crudity as human beings, and embarrass ourselves more than anyone. Others look back at the person doing it, and are embarrassed for you, that you are revealing what a crass person YOU are in public, and they are concerned that others on TV will think that the rest of us are similarily crude and without a shred of dignity.

I know, that the objective, is hoping that needling someone in public like this, will get to them, and upset their game, resulting in our team doing better. And then, if the player doesn't do as well that game, think that it has worked, and therefore keep doing it. That's self-fullilling prophecy and circular reasoning, and probably nothing anyone would say would convince you otherwise. The reality, is that it doesn't work. It only makes us look like fools and jerks on national TV, and that's what the other posters are concerned with.

Texas is a rough and tumble state, but it has its sense of nobility and honor, and we usually know the balance of strength and nobility, which some call "class." The Rockets have been known to have a classy organization, for which many of us are proud. I recognize that some who are proponents of this type of crudity are also hoping our fan base will get excited and more vocal for our team. The reality, is when some fans do this, it has the opposite effect, since many will then hold back, not wanting to look like those who are making a$$es out of themselves in public. It also doesn't make people look down on Kobe, it makes them look down on those being crude, actually generating some compassion for him. So, the bottom line, is it doesn't achieve any of the objectives that might be desired, of getting to Kobe's game, causing others to look down on him, or of firing up the fans, but only embarrasses everyone.

#62 Sherlock, Apr 25, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  3. drapg

drapg Member

I'm off to the game, and I plan to use "No means no" after reading it on another thread.

Hopefully section 115 is close enough for him to hear.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

well said Sherlock.

and spot on.

Some folks from out of state and some of the younger generation may not realize it...but Texans..(and Southerns for the most part)....take pride in their hospitality and nobility....

and the type of chants being mentioned here do not uphold that fine tradition....you can be supportive of your team without looking like a classless jerk.

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Let's not forget the guy at the very least cheated on his wife.

6. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

Hell yeah we did...and everythime that Kobe stepped up to the free throw line I would scream rape :D

7. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Exactly!

What kind of home court advantage is it when you're trying to be "hospitable" and "classy" and all PC and ****.

Why don't you guys just clap for the lakers when they make great plays if you want to be classy?

Booing the coach or players = classless and unhospitible
    Heckling players = classeless and unhospitible
    Screaming at the refs = classless and unhospitible

You cannot be classy and a fanatic in the game at the same time. PERIOD.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I want to see a over abundance of banter from everyone inside TC today.

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

It was good against the Magic where they played "it's a small world after all" when they did the starting lineups....i remember that so well.

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I remember that, too. I also remember the Rockets were told not to do it again by the NBA.