1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did people know that Kenyon Martin apologized?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocksMillenium, Nov 25, 2003.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

People have been so quick to rip Kenyon and call him a punk and a thug, but that guy apologized soon afterwards:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...ov25,0,5301658.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

That's why, in sensitive situations like this people have to wait for all the facts to come out. There were people twisting the facts accusing Kenyon Martin of making fun of Zo's kidney transplant which was stupid.

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Okay, how were the facts twisted? He DID take a jab at Zo's kidney disease! He IS a punk! Jefferson DOES have the voice of a 13-year old girl!

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Okay.. for the lesser of two evils then...

Who would you rather have? A jerk that makes fun a person's kidney disease? Or a jerk that beats a girl up and discharges a gun while it's aimed at her?

sounds like a poll...

A) Kidney Joking Jerk

B) Girl Beating/Shooting At Jerk

:confused:

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

he said that to mourning, that was a bad thing. that is a sign of no class. but if he apologized afterwards that shows of class. i do not care if martin is a punk or not. he is a good basketbal player and that is al that matters.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Appology or not, it was a punk thing to say and that does not change anything. I dont care WHAT gets said in the heat of the moment, you dont say things that low to someone. EVER.

6. RocksMillenium

Read my post again Creed, I said kidney TRANSPLANT. People actually thought Kenyon made fun of Zo's upcoming kidney TRANSPLANT. As for being a punk, a punk would do that and not apologize. Kenyon Martin realized right away he was wrong and apologize. And what does making fun of Jefferson's voice have to do with anything? That's pretty bush league in itself.

7. RocksMillenium

Exactly guys. A lot of athletes get a hard time, a lot of them deserved, but they're human to. I guarantee "regular" people make the same mistake an they apologize to the person they hurt an move on. Yet, when an athlete like Martin and Jefferson make a mistake, they apologize to the person an that person accepts it you'll have fans trying to get mileage out of it. What Martin said was wrong, but you have people trying to compare it to some of the violent crimes and other crap that other athletes have done, which is stupid.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If you believe in God, I hope he doesn't have the same attitude about some of your sins when it is time to be judged. If you don't, then just disregard my post.

9. RocksMillenium

Sorry it doesn't change anything for you, apparently it was good enough for Alonzo Mourning, you know, the guy he SAID it to! But if you think that's a punk thing to do, and you won't forgive him, then you better not forgive the people who made fun of Rudy's drinking problem. I just find it funny that everybody BUT the Alonzo Mourning are taking it personally and won't accept Kenyon Martin's apology.

10. movement

movement Contributing Member

I would be more incline to believe Martin apologized right afterwards if it was known to the public after the incident last week and before Mourning’s reports that he will need a kidney transplant. Since Martin’s comments came this week, it sounds like damage control to me. And which article is correct? Taken from
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nets-nearfight&prov=ap&type=lgns

“Mourning and Kenyon Martin -- two stars on a team that went to the NBA Finals the last two seasons -- didn't speak to each other Friday and no apologies were offered during a three-hour practice for Saturday's home game against Toronto.”

And from http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68733

“Practice then resumed with Mourning and Martin not speaking to each other. When it ended, team spokesman Gary Sussman said neither player would be available for comment.”

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not saying that what Martin said was completely unforgiveable. I just said it was punk and regarless of the situation it is not something I would say.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If Alonzo forgave him then fine for him. But I still think it was punk to say. I also think it is punk for people to make fun of Rudy's drinking problem and for anyone to make fun of people's physical or mental conditions.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If I ever write a novel, it will be called "Kidney Joking Jerk." I love that.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

What "heat of the moment?" The "heat" occurred after Zo went after him. Wasn't it just bad taste, punk-ass jiving on the part of Martin? Mourning is one of the warriors of the NBA who has gotten that way and maintained a good reputation. Martin and Jefferson should know better.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Did they apologized?

16. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Martin made fun of Zo's kidney disease. It seemed pretty clear that his kidney disease would require a kidney TRANSPLANT somewhere down the line. I fail to see how that's so different that it suddenly makes what he said better. That's like making fun of someone for being in a wheelchair, but trying to say it's not that bad because you didn't rip on the fact they're crippled.

As for Jefferson - so what if I make fun of his voice? I don't know him, and guess what else? He's not my teammate or even a co-worker. He's just a very feminine sounding man. And by the way, please tell me you're in no way trying to compare what I said about Jefferson's voice to Martin's comments about a life-threatening disease. THAT'S bush league.

17. wizardball

wizardball Member

from what i heard the incident started when Jefferson and Martin were laughing at ZO for being the last guy in some sprints..so

It was MARTIN"s mistake...he's an idiot...just like half the NBA player's these days....half of them can't put an intellegent thought togethe(that's another story all together)...then there are those like Curry in Toronto who i do respect.......anyway its still wrong to make fun of a guys personal problem...it's like making fun of a guy with a disability...it a VERY LOW thing to do...i was taught that when i was in GRADE 5....it;s sad to see someone his age say something so shallow....i can't believe people come up with excuses like it's "trash talking"....Jefferson is gotta be the second dumbest NET. his quote i think was

"Who am I to judge the rules on talking trash?"

.....haha...he must have been high when he said that!!!

Zo is a class act.(i met him once...great guy).....i hope him the best.:D

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

have you guys actually played competitve ball in a team environment, guys heckle guys all the time and you blow it off of hit them back with your own heckle all the time.

you guys read way to much into everything

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

No way broham, I already copyrighted that for a movie title.

20. wizardball

wizardball Member

SmeggySmeg

nearlly everyone has played competitive somethin or an another..

its the jist of what he said....you JUST DON'T make fun of an ailment like that...its like when Magic Johnson came back with HIV....could you imagine someone making fun of what he has........ THERE is no room for that anywhere...sorry man you have things a little mixed up... there is a fine line between having all warrior like intensity and the real world!!!!!!

sorry smeggy its comments like Martin's that make a difference between a classy individual and a low life.