1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Morey Rig the Lin "Renegotiation" and Punk the Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Jul 15, 2012.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey saw what the Knicks had done he agreed to terms with Lin, making moves assuming they'd have Lin under contract at amount X, and then tweaked the ACTUAL offer sheet to increase our chances of landing him. Nothing wrong with knowing the league's (and the CBA's) rules and using them to your favor.

But I also imagine McHale in the background, talking in Morey's ear: Go ahead and break the rules, just be sneaky about it. No one will ever find out! :grin:

2. albuster

albuster Member

Just be careful because what goes around comes around. I just hope this episode will not hurt Morey's reputation around the league, otherwise the Rockets are in for a very rude awakening.

3. bloop

bloop Member

I doubt Morey is going to be caught with such a bush league maneuver

You think Morey or Les or any of their people are going to brag to the papers about matching "up to a billion" on a FA they haven't signed? New York acted like amateurs and they got burned

4. Possum

Possum Member

\

This is incorrect. If NY matches it puts them over the cap to a point where they wont only be penalized money but also other restrictions will apply. Someone more familiar with new cba could go into more detail than me.

5. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

In addition to the tax payments described in question number 21, taxpaying teams have the following restrictions. Note that most of these restrictions aren't triggered unless the team would be over the "apron" -- the point $4 million above the tax level -- following a signing or trade.

-Teams above the apron cannot use the Bi-Annual exception (see question number 25).

-Teams above the apron have a smaller Mid-Level exception (see question number 25). Teams above the apron can offer contracts no longer than three years, while other teams can offer four. The starting salary is also lower (for example, in 2011-12 it is $3 million for teams above the apron, versus $5 million for other teams).

-Taxpaying teams can acquire less salary in a simultaneous trade (see question number 81).

-Starting in 2013-14, teams above the apron cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 88).

-Teams above the apron do not have the same protections under the Gilbert Arenas provision (see question number 44). Under the Arenas provision other teams can offer restricted free agents salaries starting at the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. If a team with the right of first refusal does not have Early Bird rights to the player and is over the apron, it will have only the smaller Taxpayer Mid-Level exception at its disposal, and cannot match an offer for the full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23

4 people like this.
  6. Possum

Possum Member

thank you. I would rep you if I knew how.

7. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Well, of course he did. Why else would he have restructured the terms? They indicated they'd match anything, so he did what he could to get the player he wanted. You have to like the aggressiveness/boldness. We'll see if it works. As to whether he planned to restructure it from the beginning, doubtful.

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Morey has no loyalty to his players, do you think he would think twice about putting the screws to another team, if he felt that he could pair Howard up with someone with a brand name?

9. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Honestly I don't think he did this to *screw* the Knicks. If the Knicks wanted to match Lin they will, and if they wanted to escape all this drama they should have extended Lin before free agency. Yes it was a bit wrong to *renegotiate* terms after they were already reached but if its within the rules then no one wants breaching anything right?

Not our fault that NY is in this dilemma, they always over spend whats the difference now? Oh now they're scared of going over the cap? It's not like they can't make moves to trade their players later in a few years if this core doesn't work. Everyone acts like NY is going to be screwed for the next 3 years, but it really only hurts them in year 3. Yeah it'll hurt ALOT, but that's NY's fault. We did what we could within the rules.

In response to Morey's reputation around the league, even if the other league GM's start to dislike Morey, they'll still do deals that are beneficial to their teams respectively regardless of if you don't like someone or not right? You take the best deal you can if you're trying to make a trade happen. Doesn't matter with who. You think everyone wants to deal with the Lakers GM? No one wants to make that team better nor do they want to keep loading up Pat Riley's team or Danny Ainge's teams. They make these trades even if they don't like the GM.

And y'all forget Les can always fire D.Morey whenever he wants to save face around the league. Just by rehiring someone else it'll most likely wipe that slate clean for those fans who're scared that the Rockets organization is going to be screwed for the next few years. I don't really know what's going to happen but we won't know what's going to happen till Wednesday so let's save all these Lin/Asik threads till then..

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

False, Morey stuck with Yao, when there was talk of trading Yao and his initial health issue. TMac the other franchise player wanted out of here because he complained about playing time when he came back from injury. I do not remember any past players who spoke unhighly of the Rockets, maybe Rudy Gay when he said he will make the Rockets pay for trading him, but recent years, he hold no grudges. Morey will show loyalty if we ever get franchise player(s), so far we've had 0 All-Stars and 0 Playoffs since Yao. We can't dance with the big boys what we have and what we had. To be a contending team, we need to get on with the NBA current trend, or drop like a fly. I do not want to be the Bobcats.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Why is it even a bit wrong? The negotiations were between the Rockets and Lin. NY was not part of it at all. They don't get involved until they get handed the offer sheet and then they have 3 days to match. End of story.

If they want to go off of rumors and info leaked from 'inside sources' then by all means speculate. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with renegotiating between the two relevant parties here... namely the Rockets and Lin.

12. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Exactly.

Some folks aren't able to distinguish between (i) breaking rules, which Morey did not do, and (ii) strategy.

The whole point of my thread was to consider the timeline of events, the unprecedented renegotiation of Lin's offer, and ask whether it was happenstance or brilliant strategy by Morey. Call it serendipity and Morey jumped on the chance, or an orchestrated torture of the Knicks. But don't call it dirty or against the rules.

There is a segment of clutchfans that seems to think that the NBA is 5 year old little league, where nobody is allowed to keep score, everyone plays for fun, and everyone gets a trophy for participating. It's not.

This is high stakes Texas Hold'em. Post Tmac/Yao injury, Morey was down on chips, staring at a table of GM's with stacks of high society, leaning on him with every draw. Morey stayed, bet on a pair of 8's several times, pulled small pots, and is now a playa.

The hilarious thing about the Lin situation is that heads we win, tails the Knicks lose.

I'd much, much, much rather that we get Lin, but if we don't, it's ok. We've already won by escaping the mediocrity treadmill. The Knicks on the other hand appear to be screwed either way. They know it and that's why they are pissed. Oh well, if they don't like it, I know of a good little league that Dolan can join.