1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Morey Rig the Lin "Renegotiation" and Punk the Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

nobody's calling Moarey shady. Brilliant if you ask me, but certainly not shady.

2. joesr

joesr Member

I dont understand the whole situation with the cap.

Its an easy fix, trade later.

3. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

I think it's simply the FO asessing that NY would match and the Rox realizing a need for a box office draw beyond the our mid-ish first round picks.

Another thing of note in your timeline should also be when DH trade talks started and stalled. Realizing it was all up in the air, we needed a better national/international draw.

Why would Morey intentionally screw over a trade partner that's historically worked for us in the disposal department? Did Morey make it crazy tough for NY to sign Lin? Yes. Did Morey do it as insidiously as you're insinuating? No, I don't think so. I don't see the need to burn bridges between the Rox and Knicks. Again, It was simply our FO trying to get a box office draw more than anything else.

4. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Ya I think so... Him from Boaton n all that wicked hatred towards Yankees

5. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I don't think Morey did it to screw over the Knicks. More likely, his first offer of a partially guaranteed 5/5/9/9 deal was meant to feel out how the Knicks would react. Unfortunately for them, they couldn't keep their mouths shut about how far they were willing to go. Morey then figured, ok, we need to guarantee more of Lin's contract but for only 3 years to make it worthwhile for Lin to really pry him from the Knicks.

Here's the thing about letting the market set the price on a RFA: You can't precommit to match anything--you have to be willing to let them go if the price is too high. Otherwise you will be screwed.

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I guess you haven't listened to much NY sports radio,because they sure are.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thy'rer just butthurt.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

They are and it's really pathetic how they are trying to tear Lin down now.

9. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

My creation inspired by this thread. You have to be a fan of naruto anime to get this.

[​IMG]

10. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Lol, that's actually a good nickname for him, "ShikaMorey". Too bad most people won't get the reference, or just dismiss it because it's "Dat Pokemon ****".

11. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree with rileydog. The first offer was virtually certain to be matched and I had the same reaction "huh"? I also kept asking, why didn't present Lin with a contract right away on July 11th and get it over with so that he can get the Howard deal done. I think morey was seeing what the Knicks would do, and when they started signing even MORE contracts morey saw his chances going up. This was his best chance for gettin Lin. Also, does this explain the real reason for why Scola was amnestied now instead of later? To be able to increase the offer? By the way, getting LIn would open up the China market again which is not only great in and of itself, but will get Dwight to re-sign here now that the other markets are out. However Knicks probably realize this too and may want to screw Houston by matching and trading Lin later although that will be hard. I think the Knicks still keep him in the end because it's bad enough to be screwed by the rockets like this, but even worse when they realize getting lin will greatly increase the likelihood of Dwight staying. I think Dolan will do a 180 and keep Lin and deal him later. I hope not, though.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dual Moray!

Got'em with that second row of teef

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

+1. We may not get Lin, but he made the Rockets relevant. We got good advertising without charge and we went from middle of the pack NBA team to global consciousness. I think the Rockets need Lin more than the Knicks because they can play the musical chair with their PGs, but our team needs a PG to start a foundation. Even if it doesn't work out with trades, we still have options of playing the rookies and raising their profiles, making them assets for the next offseasons. Enjoy Morey while he is still here.

14. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Morey should know, karma is a b****.

15. Crank

Crank Member

People gripe that we are desperate for a pg and that is the reason why we signed to Lin to a bigger deal. Not buying it. Morey is pulling all the strings.

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Don't forget that Lin went to the Knicks and showed the original contract and they said he would match. Lin didn't have to secretly fly to Vegas to meet up with the Rockets again to rework the deal, especially if he wanted to be in NYC.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

An nba player tried to get paid more money in his contract....

oh noes, that traitor

18. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Yeah, he went to a team who cut him, instead to a team who gave him a chance and green light like he's any good.

19. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

But clearly Jeremy Lin has been all about the money since the day he burst onto Broadway.

20. tomato

tomato Member

Morsel has gotten so much guff for this offseason. It was confusing for a little while around the time he let Dragic go, but there is such a high probability that this will turn out to be his best work yet.