1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Morey Rig the Lin "Renegotiation" and Punk the Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I never considered this to be the case but when you look at how the events transpired, there is a possibility that he could have intentionally screwed them over. At any rate, I suspect this will be the last time Morey ever deals with the Knicks.

2. LScolaDominates

There's too much going on behind the scenes right now to pin down Morey's motives. The Howard negotiations, if nothing else, has the front office on their toes; a change in weather can have ripple effects.

I do find your theory intriguing. It's hard to explain why the initial offer to Lin was what it was. It seems like an information-gathering move--let the Knicks show their hand and go from there. Maybe Morey hadn't fully thought out the poison pill strategy until he saw the reactions to the Asik offer, and then realized the same strategy could apply to Lin.

LOL at Morey trollin' the RFA market!

1 person likes this.
  3. alcatrazpsycho

Also, perhaps the failed Dragic signing had something to do with it. :confused:

If Morey had upright offered Lin the $25.1M deal, it might seem a bit odd. "Why not just capitulate to Dragic's terms, then?" some may ask.

But by offering Lin a "reasonable" contract and allowing the Knicks to make their brash claims, Morey was then in the right for going all-lin in Vegas.

4. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

I read that Dolan felt that Lin betrayed them by relaying info to Morey and going to Las Vegas without the FO's knowledge. So they lost trust in him because of it. Time will tell.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Well, surely the possibility of amnestying Scola was considered long before it happened. If he wanted to, Morey surely could have amnestied Scola earlier, to offer the megapoisionpill contract to Lin on July 5, rather than "renegotiating" and then jacking up the offer.

I have to admit - I'm a Maori fan and may be giving him more credit than is due. But the timing of the entire sequence of events is peculiar. Also, what nobody has addressed is whether there has ever been precedent of this - someone substantially jacking up an offer sheet to a RFA.

6. AbrahamLincoln

I think that for sure he saw them making those deals and knew that he could really have a chance to pry Lin away if he upped the offer. What he did was a pretty shrewd move to upgrade what is now the weakest position on our team.

Maybe we are as weak at the 5. But after seeing Fortson and and Machado playing like a$$ for these last 2 games against scrub D-leaguers I think he did the right think to try and get some more potential at pg.

I was hating this offseason after our draft. Now I'm interested to see if Morey picks the Knicks and Bulls pockets and somehow lands Dwight.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He didn't want to amnesty Scola. After the Lowry trade we got back contracts that are valuable because they aren't guaranteed.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Could be ...what agent worth his salt wouldn't want to throw a few more million into the kitty after hearing "we'll match up to a billion" ..

I don't really think Morey baited them into anything .. I think he just took advantage of the situation as it developed.

9. QazQay

QazQay Member

I think Morey truly wanted Lin, and planned to offer him the 15mil in the third year all along. He knew that if he upright gave him the 15mil offer sheet at the beginning, New York would structure it's moves around being able to match it. So instead offered the low one, waited for the Knicks to make moves and signings, and then when they were done, upped the contract. Because the Knicks have already made moves with the expectation of the third year being 9mil, they can no longer match. Morey is a genius.

10. woodtee

woodtee Member

I also thought that initial offer to Lin was strange (almost unnecessary) and really seemed to make no sense, unless... This theory has legs.

Moree has always thought and dealt more creatively, so I would not put it past him to have planned this whole thing. I think he knew if he added the shock value of this "plan," it would fuel the Fire in NY fans as well as management, which may be his only way to get Lin. Since it seemed like money was no object initially, maybe Murrey knew he needed to appeal their emotions.

If this Is true, our beloved GM is an evil genius! Cuz it worked like a charm!

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

Dunno if this is the right thread for the question, but how much of a poison pill for the Knicks is it? Can't they trade Lin after two seasons of paying him 5 million and have a 15 million expiring to someone under the cap? Or is that such a big pill that no team will be that far under/have a TE big enough?

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I wouldnt put it past him, Morey has been screwing GMs since 07!

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Darryl Morey for troll of the year! He managed to troll an entire city into chaos! :grin:

14. Rileydog

Perhaps a more simple question -

Would the Knicks have doone the SnT with the Rockets had Maoreey offered Lin 5/5/15 right off the bat?

Would the Knicks have been too pissed off to give Maorie what he wanted in the SnT?

15. QazQay

QazQay Member

Knicks would have matched if Morey had done 5/5/15 right off the bat, because they would have been able to make moves with the knowledge that his 3rd year would be 15mil in order to keep him. Morey mislead them so that they would make moves like signing Novak to a 3year deal and bringing in kidd so that they couldn't match once the offer sheet was changed.

16. Rileydog

I've been wondering that too. I think a $15MM expiring is harder to deal with b/c it's like trying to break a $100 bill. If you have a 5MM to 10MM expiring, it's easy to find a crappy contract in that range that someone wants to deal in exchange for an expiring.

What i don't know is whether a $15MM expiring can be traded for two separate crappy contracts that total $15MM. I suspect you can, but don't know.

17. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Your scenario is plausible. Lin was the Knicks first priority to retain. Morey didn't show his hand up front, but low-balled the initial verbal offer, and the Knicks laughed and blew their wad on other role players thinking they had Lin in the bag. Then Morey renegotiated Lin to 3 years with the third at the max. This is after he sold them Camby. That was his ace in the hole, and the only way Morey could pry Lin out of the Knicks. If he would have showed that max offer up front, the Knicks would have matched, and altered plans their for other role players.

You usually don't win at signing restricted free agents, especially if they are young with their best career years ahead of them. I pity the fool who ever plays poker against Morey. He played his hand masterfully.

18. pass_to_Hakeem

I think Morey was gonna stay put til some b*stard threw a stuffed animal at his face at the Summer League camp .. that changed everything

19. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Morey: Yeah, all I got is one pair.
    Knicks: In that case, I'll raise (holding two pair).
    Morey: Sigh. I have no chance to win a showdown. I guess I'll just have to bluff you all in.
    Knicks: I call.
    Morey: Whoops. I must have misread my hand. I actually have a set. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  20. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

In my opinion Dragic getting 8.3 million a year in phoenix,may have forced either the rockets or lins agent to raise/ask for a higher salary. The market set the price . NY should have made lin an offer and set the market price themselves. Morey didnt rig anything ,NY spoke out there a$$ about matching up to a billion . Morey revaluated his deal and raised it nothing shady if you ask me .