1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Monty Williams' move.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Jun 30, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

James Harden had a 12.3% assist % and 1.8 apg (4.1 per 100 possessions) his rookie year. He was at 14 assist per 100 possessions this past year. His ast % is up to 43%... so its up like 3.5x, while his usage is up from 20% his rookie year to just 28% this year. Same story for Kobe, and countless others. Then there are guys that don't improve.

Sure, you might say they had this "innate" ability already. And I'd somewhat agree. And indeed, Green didn't blow anyone away assist number wise...

But my point was its possible. He is actually an undervalued passer, imo, because people focus so much on his athleticism and scoring and point to the assist number.

So my only point is, its possible.

I don't think it likely he turn into a 7 apg player, but i also don't think it likely Mobley ever turns into a big physical big man the way Ayton is....

2. dmoneybangbang

Giannis increased from ~12 AST% to ~28 AST% in his career.

Seems doable for Green to get to ~30 AST% as a pure offensive draft prospect.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

People talk about Ayton now like he's Hakeem. He's the third most important player on his team, and heading into the playoffs big men / paint protection was considered a weak point for the Suns. Of course, he's been really good since then, but without that guard play the Suns wouldn't have been **** this year.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Defense matters in the playoffs.

It's almost another game in postseason.

So yes, a Pop coached team would take Suns to the shed in the play in without Ayton anchoring the middle.

And context and chemistry matters, you cannot just replace a key member of the team with differing skillsets/position and expect the exact same result.

Again, your alternate reality takes are so predictably simplistic.

So Lavine plus ANY average defensive center (how vague is that?) would equal or better Ayton's contribution to this Suns' team????

This is why discussion with you is so exasperating.

You and reality just do not get along.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Possible and probable are not the same.

6. Denovo

Denovo Member

To be fair the team around LaVine is dog ****.

He would thrive on Philly, Heat, Hawks or Knicks tho.

The same way Booker needed more pieces around him.

Beal does too if we talkin another traditional SG

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Who is arguing defense doesn't matter in the playoffs? Why do you need to change the argument?

The issue is you are creating an alternate reality in order to prop up your own arguments. Ayton was great, but he's not an 18WS player like you tried to pass off.

LOL. So you are moving the goal posts from Lavine on the Suns could get into the playoffs to Lavine + an average center = Ayton.

So you are conceding the Suns would make the playoffs with LaVine then?

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

ok

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

No, I do not concede that Lavine instead of Ayton would have gotten Suns into playoffs.

Suns would have been a materially different team and just changing one key member of the team would have changed the result.

Defense matters.

And i don't deal in alternate realities.

10. dmoneybangbang

So Ayton alone is worth the 18 wins between the Suns 2nd place record and the Spurs 10th place record (for the play-in)? Hell.... I'll spot you some wins if you need it ..... Ayton is worth the 13 wins despite the fact that he is only worth 8.5 WS per bball reference?

11. Rockets4Life13

Crazy to me how much you think of yourself and your „evaluation“ skills.

I’m aware of his strengths and his weaknesses. I’d never claim that what i THINK he will be is a fact. Which is what you’re doing all the time and is extremely obnoxious.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

We are in the beginning stages of a rebuild. The Rockets will eventually find the big man that fits, but as others have stated... the most valuable skill in today's game is efficient scoring.

Denovo likes this.
  13. Denovo

Denovo Member

I agree. I want Green. I was just speaking on the unwarranted LaVine takes.

#53 Denovo, Jul 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Rocketeer likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

[​IMG]

15. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Whoever we end up taking, I will root for 100 %…

As long as we don’t pull a Fertitta Force —- end up trading the pick for CJ McCollum or some dumb ish

16. JW86

JW86 Member

At least there won’t be any more layups…toughness and defense baby!

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

If you think I value my evaluation over yours, then you'd be right.

Congrats.