1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did JVG save our season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Nov 24, 2008.

1. SugarLandDream8

Jeff Van Gundy said he would take Yao Ming around the locker room and re-introduce him to his teammates.

''This is Yao Ming,'' he would say. ''He's the most dominant low-post player in the NBA.''

Ever since then the Rockets have run the team through Yao in the low post and they have won every game since. Coincidentially Yao has returned to his allstar calliber self with him being the first option again. Ron looks more comfortable and the 3s are getting better. Thoughts.

2. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

my thoughts are they are now dedicated to going to Yao. Post entry, repost, then shoot or drive.

Its awesome. Yao is not a jump shooter.

3. Classic

Classic Member

Save our season? Wasn't that like the 12th game of the season? Was the season lost at 12 games in?

4. SugarLandDream8

I was using hyperbole but I suspect Adelman or someone on the Rockets front office took notice of the former coach's criticism and made adjustments accordingly and began to run the offense through Yao in the low post. I'd give JVG a thumbs up on the assist if this works out.

5. devin23

devin23 Member

Source?

6. SugarLandDream8

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

1 thing is for certain. For me anyways.
    THANK GOD Yao isn't in the high post and shooting too many 15ft jumpers and trying to find cutters. Just give me the pick n roll back and I am good.

8. ekim

ekim Member

I've been saying that ever since the Adelman was hired.

Yao in the high post = worthless

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Me too bud. Me too...

10. cadet65

cadet65 Rookie

11. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

barry getting on track too

12. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

i'm glad they're finally breaking out of this redundant swing around offense and collapsing the defense to make some room. go yao!

13. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

maybe not saving the season but JVG would make a hellova asst. coach. if they havent already hired him. I still think having Stan and Jeff Van Gundy as coaches would be awesome. coaching tandem.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

If this is true it's has to be so comforting that the new coach is listening to the old coach on TV for advice. If Adelman can listen to JVG about how to play male role model for Tmac then things could turn out fantastic.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

JVG has a point, but the problem is shot attempts, Yao's the best shooter on the team from the 3pt line and in and it wouldn't surprise me if he was top3 from the 3pt line......he hadn't cracked 10 shot attempts in 3 games, that's pathetic for such an efficient shooter. The high post may not be the best place to shoot from when you're 7'6, but even from there he'd hit at least half, maybe more since they don't usually guard him that high. He's going to shoot 50% or better from either place most of the time, so he needs 20+ shots a game. Not only does that take attempts away from Rafer, but it increases the overal shooting %, which means you're scoring more, which means you'll win more since the Rockets' D is solid.

16. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

i said it so many time, if jvg had talents we have now, god knows how good we can be, plus, isn't that last 3,4 games is almost jvg-type game to win?

yao should be happy, he is more and more confident

17. raysaustralia

raysaustralia Member

18. Supa Scoopa

Supa Scoopa Member

Recently it does look like the old JVG offense. I can't complain because it's netting us wins. And I always thought that's the type of offense that fit the Rockets better. They don't have the personnel to run the offense Adelman ran when he was the Kings.

I even saw the ol' give and go Yao used to do with Luther, but this time it was with Brooks.

19. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

well considering that soon after he said he would do this yao went on to average 22 points a game compared to 16 per game, id say he just kind of showed everyone the identity they were lacking.

Adelman has never coached a player like yao so he himself has to adjust his offense instead of vice versa and its seems to be working. And yao seem more patient

20. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

like the old jvg offense with the exception of those back cuts to the PF position from the center position. more reposting and swinging the ball around a lot more.

As a matter a fact the old JVG offense was nothing but tmac and yao pick and rolls, today they only had one so its a very different offense but the emphasize on yao is beginning to look the same. looking good lookin good