1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did John forget how to play PnR?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 29, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe @foggy94 can give us a good video analysis on this. I would really really love it.

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. Everyone paid attention to harden, wall is not getting that much attention.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes sense, I was wondering why there was not much PnR and this makes sense and it explains why Wall was shooting those 3's so he could make them stop going under.

Good ****.

rocketpower2 likes this.
  4. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Even simple plays like the PnR played at the highest level still requires some chemistry and coordination in terms of timing the pick and subsequent dive to the basket. I'm worried about how Wall's athleticism will hold up and if he can sustain that level of explosion without re-injuring himself. As for his court vision and general ball handling abilities, that is something that just generally doesn't go away unless you're a 5'10 alcoholic banished to the corner in an iso-heavy offense while Harden pounds the air out of the ball.

hakeem94 and BallaDoc like this.
  5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Gortat averaged like 12ppg while Wall was averaging 20+. In those highlights Wall is getting double teamed and the defense almost ignored Gortat. The dynamic of this team is completely different. Wood is averaging more points than Wall's career high. Defenses are focusing on him first and foremost. Wall is currently shooting 29% from deep and 32% from midrange so teams will let him shoot all day. He doesn't have an open target to pass to.

D-rock likes this.
  6. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Gortat was perhaps the best screener in the league when he was with the Wizards. Wood will have to work on his timing with Wall and it should get better the more they play together.

You see many plays Gortat is in sync with Wall and can time it perfectly tor read the defender as to whether to physically set a hard screen or to slip early and roll quickly to rim.

BallaDoc likes this.
  7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The person killing us is Eric Gordon, gets minutes and shots horribly every other game. Complains every time he drives and misses a shot or gets called for a foul. Shoots ridiculously long 3s that go in 25% of the time. I hate when they go ISO and use up the clock, move the ball and men for better shots...

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. DLT

DLT Member

I haven't watched them enough but I do know that some bigs truly set legit screens to free the guard and go from there while others will simply slip the screen. I remember Haywood was a great screener for Arenas. I remember Gortat being great with Wall. Then I can't remember who I was but we had a big who never set the screen. I used to get so upset about it. You could tell that he only cared about scoring. He didn't care about the screen. He just wanted the ball back. I used to get upset at the coach for not fixing that but then I started to think that he was teaching it.

For those who have seen them, is Wood setting a weak pick, not setting one at all and is instead slipping it, or is Wall just not in his PG groove. Dude was the purest PG in the league next to CP3 and Rondo so it seems weird for him not to do what he's best at. Even when he didn't get it to gortat, he found shooters wide open in the corner. Again, I haven't seen enough to know if it's Wall, Wood, or Silas

ashleyem likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I guess Harden was like the movies then.

Partied all offseason and with zero practice, his chemistry with Wood in PnR was electric right from the start.

There was no mention of Wood not setting harder screens, sealing off man better, taking better angles or gaining more weight.

Nope, Wood just dropped 30 and 15.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo shot 28% from 3 last night, Dipo shot 20% from 3.

Facts.

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Dipo provided more plays going to rim and played better D than EGo

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

He also played more minutes and dominated the ball more.

It's called usage vs. efficiency.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and wall was no 1 pick.... no 1 picks are soooo overrated...

D-rock likes this.
  14. alethios

alethios Member

Wood and Wall should watch many videos of Harden and Capela PnR.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Silas is a good coach, I do expect more tough love from him especially when it comes to star players and veterans. He is handling the young players well.

BamBam likes this.
  16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Let's say wood stands at the half court line every possession would it be wall you blame about p n r? Consider it might take two to tango?

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

I hope that sounded better in your head.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sorry did Harden come back from Achilles surgery and hadn’t played in two years? I missed that

Wall has to come back playing at all star form is very unrealistic.

Harden draws the gravity of the defense to a greater extent than Wall does. Leaves Wood often getting lost
    in the heart of the defense.

saleem likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

He is playing fast and has repeatedly stated he is 100%.

That is his own words.

He has also stated, repeatedly, that he is excited to play in a modern offense that allows him to iso and attack.

You'd think one of the very best PnR point guards, as had been said on CF, would have the wherewithal to play PnR as well or better than an overweight, lazy, uninspired, no effort, checked out, boozing, super spreader who skipped training camp and with ZERO practice still PnR with Wood like a champ, amirite?

20. riko

riko Member

These guards need to do a better job feeding the big Wood

saleem and D-rock like this.