1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Dream really deserve his DPOYs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chronz, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Chronz

Chronz Member

The Knicks had by far the best defensive team in the league both years, and I know they werent around at the time but Ewing did lead the league in Defensive RTG and Def.WinShares. I always felt Dream peaked defensively early in his career and prolly got shafted for the award a few years and I do consider him the best defender of all time and is obviously worthy of that recognition but how come Ewing never got any DPOY love, yet DRob did during those seasons?

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Not worthy of a reply! :p

1 person likes this.
  3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

yeah you failed

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The Knicks only led in thuggery.

Ewing wasn't half the defender Dream was.

1 person likes this.
  5. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I think the real question is did David Robinson deserve Dream's MVP trophy in 95? ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wrong statistically and clutchfanally

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1994.html

Ewing in 94 had 90 steals

Olajuwon had 128 steals

Ewing had 217 blocks

Olajuwon had 297 blocks

Olajuwon was 1st team all defense in 94. Ewing wasn't even 2nd team, that was David Robinson.

Any more questions?

7. Chronz

Chronz Member

So your saying if Dream had Ewings teammates they wouldve been much better defensively?

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Ditto

9. tinman

Supporting Member

You must have been watching OJ Simpson during the finals.

I'll take the Rockets defensive players over the Knicks anyday.

You are confusing defensive ability of players vs the coaching style.

Rudy T's defense wasn't the same as Rileys.

But it was CLEARLY OBVIOUS who was the better defensive player.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSPDDpyoIKo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSPDDpyoIKo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

WTF, is this stupid thread month? :confused:

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Patrick Ewing wasn't even the best post defender on his own team. Oakley was.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This is more saying Ewing was an underrated defender, more than saying Hakeem did not deserve the awards.

Stats isn't everything. Bruce Bowen and Shane Battier don't rack up defensive stats. In Hakeem's case the steals stats indicates his incredible defensive range for a center.

13. Chronz

Chronz Member

I never said he tallied more stl or blocks, my post was more about how they impacted their teams defensive efficiency. The Knicks were the best defensive team, Ewing has had higher block marks but his teams were never better than they were when he wasnt posting up ridiculous shotblocking averages.

14. monster

monster Member

Absolutely not. I always respected Robinson for being both a great player and a class act, but he was nowhere near Dream (as shown in the playoffs).

Dream is the best big man/defender I've ever seen...by far. I never saw Bill Russell or Wilt play.

1 person likes this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

... did you watch him play even?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

And I told you it wasn't their defensive player's abilities, it was the Riley's defensive philosophy

aka holding in the paint, hard fouls, hacking, double teaming

Go back and watch some of those games

17. Chronz

Chronz Member

You do realize that the Knicks in 92 were 5 full PTS better defensively than the 2nd best defensive club in the league. Thats like of unheard of stuff if what your saying is true (Dream being the better defender that year), then how are his teammates also better? A team with a superior anchor and superior support would defend with much better efficiency wouldnt they?

During those 2 years the Knicks are one of if not the best defensive club in league history.

To me they go hand in hand, you play Derek Harper because he will mug you and deliberately handcheck, you dont play Starks because of his height.

So doesnt that just mean the reason Ewing or his teammates were better defenders, was because he made them that way? Either way isnt the point still the same? Who had the better defensive season?

Not clicking on a Rox highlight reel in an objective argument.

18. Chronz

Chronz Member

This is bogus, of course DRob deserved that award. He had the better REGULAR SEASON. MVP doesnt encompass playoff performances

19. Chronz

Chronz Member

Yea but I never looked at the game then the way I do now.

So why am I punishing them for sticking to a gameplan that clearly worked?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

you realize these two teams played each other in the finals right?

you realize the best defensive team is the team that holds the other team to the lower score right?

you realize that the two players you are comparing faced off right? they had to play defense on EACH OTHER right?