1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did D'Antoni get a fair shake? Let's look at the starters for Knicks/Lakers teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 27, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

J.B. is a little different because he was part of the coaching staff and just moved a spot on the bench.

D'Antoni was not part of Mike Brown's staff. He came in as a completely new hire after Brown was running the Princeton offense.
    Completely different situations.

And for the record, I don't think it's fair to judge J.B. as a head coach because of this season.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm willing to give D'Antoni a quarter season before I hit the panic button, officially.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Pringles got more than a fair shake. He coached one of the most talented teams of the 2000s and couldn't even get to the finals. Then he coached two mediocre teams, did very poorly, and then quit. It's that simple.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Based on the relentless negativity in here, I'm wildly excited about Mike D'Antoni. He can't be half as bad as advertised. Let the crow be served.

1 person likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of this hire. Honestly I am. In a couple of years when we're NBA champs, I'll be President of the Mike D'Antoni Fan Club.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Lol. This will set us back another half a decade.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you 99ers can be just a downer sometimes, man. :grin:

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mike D is 65 years old and we are still talking about FAIR SHAKE?

There are better top assistant coaches out there.

1 person likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

He's a man, he's 65! :grin:

In 5 years, a 77-year old owner & 70-year old head coach, what's not to like?! ;)

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think a lot of Clutchfans wished Les wasn't a vegan, then maybe just maybe he would croke and die from a heart attack. No luck guys, he'll be our owner for a while now...

Now, what we need is for someone to pull a V. Stiviano on him. (I'm kidding)

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He isnt walking into a much better lineup here

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . if he doesn't have a two time MVP Nash . . .then it is considered not getting a fair shake?

Rocket River

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Les just wants to make the $$$$. I don't think he's about WINNING. He would rather have a team that plays exciting uptempo basketball that puts butts in the seats rather than a team that grinds out wins... and possibly a championship.

That's why we brought back Lin...

That's why we have MDA instead of JVG.

Screw Les!

14. bmd

bmd Member

Why must you make such a dumb logical leap? There's a whole lot of middle ground between having a 2x MVP on your team and your best player being Jodie Meeks.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree, what's done is done. And D'Antoni will surprise all the naysayers. Good or bad who knows but I'm ready to find out.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Did he get a fair shake? Yes! He took both jobs! He could've held out for another team, another position. Can't complain that they were trash teams. He knew that when he took the job.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

http://www.rednationhoops.com/2016/05/how-mike-dantoni-can-fit.html?m=1

more at the link.

18. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Nash and prime Amare were arguably better.

19. therox3

therox3 Member

Sure, maybe D'Antoni made Nash great and the success of the Suns offense was entirely due to his coaching (even though this would require ignoring reality. Nash was the PG for the top rated offense 3 years prior and 2 years after being coached by D'Antoni). Why hasn't he been able to do it since? If he can only be a great offensive coach with a hall of famer and multiple all stars what good is he?

Give me a coach that can get the most out of average talent over one that can only win at a high level (and not even at a championship level) with elite talent.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Watching this and the 14 - 16 Rockets sets looks amazingly similar but the only difference is Steve Nash getting into the sets much quicker than Harden ever would, and better screeners/shooters, and crisper passing.

Literally nothing will change about the 2016/17 Rockets offense you guys do realize that right?

This is the same sh$&.