1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did anyone hear how Steve and Cutino did in the Tulsa Charity?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cato13, Sep 17, 2000.

1. cato13

cato13 Member

Steve and Cutino were to play in a charity game in Tulsa, Oklahoma on this past Saturday. Does anyone know how they did? Other young players like Stephon Marbury, Lamar Odom were also to be there. It was sponsored by John Starks and Lee Mayberry.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

http://www.tulsaworld.com/Default.asp?WCI=Displaystory&ID=000917_Sp_b10star

Starks' 18-footer seals deal
    By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
    9/17/00

Blue team's Jones hits 51 in first half, but White squad wins All-Star Classic.
    When he arrived at the Convention Center Saturday night, Vancouver Grizzlies guard Damon Jones was an unknown to most of the 3,000 who attended the John Starks-Lee Mayberry All-Star Classic.
    By halftime, though, Jones was signing autographs and posing for photos with fans who had been dazzled by his remarkable shooting exhibition.

Jones, playing for the Blue team, was 17- of-22 on 3-pointers and had 51 points in the first half. It was Starks' White squad, however, that rallied from an 11-point halftime deficit to prevail 143-140 in an exhibition that featured NBA stars Stephon Marbury of the New Jersey Nets, Sam Cassell of the Milwaukee Bucks, Theo Ratliff of the Philadelphia 76ers, Todd Day of the Phoenix Suns, Anthony Mason of the Miami Heat and Vonteego Cummings of the Golden State Warriors.

Starks, who nailed an 18-foot jumper with 2.8 seconds left to secure the White triumph, will play the coming season with the Utah Jazz.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound Jones attempted only a half-dozen shots during the second half and finished with 54 points.

"I passed up some shots because I wanted everybody to be involved," said Jones, who signed a two-year contract with the Grizzlies after bouncing, during a two-year span, from Boston to New Jersey to Dallas to Golden State. "This is my first time ever in this building, and I just felt really good with the basketball."

A percentage of the money raised through ticket sales will benefit the John Starks Foundation and the Inner City Basketball Clinic.

Several stars -- most notably Houston's Steve Francis, last season's NBA co-rookie of the year, and Lamar Odom of the Los Angeles Clippers -- did not make it to Tulsa after having been advertised as participants. Vacancies were filled by former local collegians like Shea Seals and Rod Thompson of the University of Tulsa and Tim Gill of Oral Roberts.

Seals, who finished with 18 points for the White team, plays professionally in France after a knee injury derailed his bid for an NBA career. Thompson had 24 points for the Blue.

Blue playmaker Marbury showcased his ballhandling during the first half and had 28 of his 32 points during the second 20-minute period. Day led the White team with 43 points and Cummings contributed 37.

The White squad was coached by TU's Buzz Peterson, while ORU assistant Corey Williams coached the Blue.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited September 17, 2000).]

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Not sure Cat made it to the tourney either, since I saw him at the Rome tourstop in Houston on Saturday.

------------------

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not bad at all, Damon Jones is a former Houston Cougar!

5. cato13

cato13 Member

BobFinn, thanks for the info....

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

Glad to help [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

7. The Cat

The Cat Member

And to get another post. [​IMG]

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I can't believe this! I LIVE in Tulsa and had no idea steve and cuttino were schuduled to play in the charity game! I feel like such an idiot...

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    of Pepto-Bismol.

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah you should. [​IMG]

------------------
    "You look a team that's been to the mountaintop like the Houston Rockets, I'm going to put pressure on myself to be the best possible player that I can be. With the pieces they already have in place and myself, we can do some amazing things next season."

Maurice Taylor

10. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

Steve Francis was in Las Vegas at a boxing match Saturday night; promoting his boxer.

He has invested money in a boxer. Which is quite suprising to me. Oh well.

http://www.hometown.aol.com/darylward2/index.html

------------------
    There is two two types of people in the world: those who finish their sentences,

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Hey Sam what kind of questions did Rome ask Cuttino?

12. Gascon

Gascon Member

Rome actually manages to get some questions in every now and again?

Say it ain't so! [​IMG]

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

They should put Steve,Cuttino,and Maurice on the cover of SLAM as the best YOUNG trio in the NBA.

14. The Voice of Reason

sorry the best young trio is in milwalkie

------------------

15. tacoma park legend

i wouldnt consider glen robinson or sam cassell young and tim thomas is a bench player so you cant include him in my opinion

------------------

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Well they are the best 24 and under trio in the league [​IMG] Mo is 23 Steve 21 Cuttino 24

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

what a pity there isn't a Under 25 NBA league!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

18. Sane

Sane Member

Since we're talking about Steve and Cuttino, is all this stuff about them tearing it up this season optimistic or realistic??

Like, Can steve go to 15ppg, 8 assists per game, 4.5 rebounds per game, 2 steals per game......something like that?
    Oh, and is Payton gonna average less than 30ppg against him? [​IMG]

------------------

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Lil Francis, not much. Cat wasn't a scheduled guest - he came along with Jose Lima (who knew they were friends?). Anyway, Van Smack asked Cat if he was seriously considering leaving Houston, and Cuttino said no, he loves it here and wanted to stay all along.

Could be revisionist history, but then again might make Popeye's infamous post earlier this summer, actually true.

------------------

20. Sane

Sane Member

sorry, I meant 25 ppg, not 15.....

------------------