1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did anyone else read this article?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by divino25, Jan 30, 2007.

1. divino25

divino25 New Member

lock if already posted!

Shaq, Yao? Give me a break
    Rich Hammond, Staff writer
    Article Last Updated: 01/27/2007 10:49:33 PM PST

Fans selected Shaquille O'Neal and Yao Ming as the starting centers for next month's NBA All-Star Game, which would be great if we were playing a video game or had been transported back to 2003.
    Yao has been out since Dec. 23 with a broken leg, and Shaq, well, he's in semi-retirement these days, but the whim of the fans rules all, which is both the charm and bane of the All-Star process.

In the NHL, a segment of fans tried to elect Rory Fitzpatrick, a nondescript plugger forward, to the All-Star Game, but their mock campaign fell short. NBA fans voted more for star power than goof factor, and out of the 10starters they picked, they got it half right.

Here's a look at how the lineups should be:

Western Conference: Fans voted Yao, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady. It should be Bryant, Duncan, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki and Amare Stoudemire.

They shouldn't even play the game unless Nash is starting. How ridiculous. Here's the two-time MVP, playing better than ever on an outstanding team, and McGrady gets the start?

Nowitzki should be in the lineup, but it's hard to choose between Duncan and Garnett. The edge goes to Duncan, who is playing on a better team and doesn't have

to shoulder as much of the load.
    Center is tough. It definitely shouldn't be Yao, but who should it be? The argument could be settled by moving Duncan to center and keeping Garnett, but let's go with a semi-sentimental choice, Stoudemire.

Stoudemire hasn't always been at his best this season, but he has played his way back from serious knee problems and is averaging 18 points and nine rebounds for the NBA's best team.

Eastern Conference: Fans voted Shaq, Gilbert Arenas, Chris Bosh, LeBron James and Dwayne Wade. It should be Arenas, James, Wade, Caron Butler and Dwight Howard.

Some kudos to the fans for pushing Arenas into the lineup. No offense to Vince Carter, but Arenas clearly was deserving, and it's great to see that the fans just didn't blindly vote for the bigger name.

That's more than evened out by the choice of Shaq.

Seriously? You might as well put Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and Larry Bird on the team. It's time for some new blood, with Howard.

Howard is by far the most impressive of the league's young big men, a standard for the Lakers' Andrew Bynum to match in coming years. Why isn't the league promoting him with greater fervor?

And yes, Butler over Bosh. That might be a bit of a head-scratcher to some, and it's no knock on Bosh, but this isn't the same Butler that Lakers fans remember.

Phil Jackson has admitted that he didn't quite know what to do with Butler. In Washington, Butler has found a comfort zone next to Arenas and they deserve to be in the All-Star lineup together.

Revenge factor: It's been fun to watch local product Arenas (Grant High of Van Nuys) enjoy his breakout season and even more entertaining to follow the subplots.

Arenas, upset about being cut by the U.S. national team this past summer, has made it his mission to punish Phoenix and Portland, whose coaches were assistants for the national team.

Last week, Arenas scored 54 points against Phoenix and proclaimed that his next 50-point game would be against Portland. Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni joked, "I can't wait to see what he does against Duke. He's gonna kill Duke," since Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski was also the national team head coach.

That prompted the always-playful Arenas to write on his NBA.com blog: "He'd like to see what I'm going to do against Duke. I thought it was funny, because if I have the chance to go back to college, I'd give up one NBA season to play against Duke.

"One college game, that's fivefouls, right? ... 40-minute game at Duke, they got soft rims. I'd probably score 84 or 85. I wouldn't pass the ball. I wouldn't even think about passing it. It would be a like a NBA Live or an NBA 2K7 (video) game, (where) you just shoot with one person."

Trade talks: If you listen to the scuttlebutt of the national pundits, there was nearly a major West-East trade shakeup in some form this week involving teams from Los Angeles and New Jersey.

Carter to the Clippers for Shaun Livingston? Jason Kidd to the Lakers for Jordan Farmer? Tony Soprano to Sacramento for Arnold Schwarzenegger? Maybe not, but let's look into that one.

The good news for local fans is that neither Mitch Kupchak nor Elgin Baylor is content to sit back these days. Kidd, at 34, probably isn't the answer for the Lakers, who need another season or two before they're title contenders. But Carter to the Clippers? That could have worked out quite nicely.

Meanwhile, here's an interesting nugget from Peter Vecsey's column, which, depending on whom you talk to, is either the gospel as published by the New York Post, or 20-some inches of trash.

Vecsey writes of the Lakers: "Management's greatest concern is that the team's over reliance on Bryant ultimately will extinguish his flame seasons ahead of time."

Funny, it didn't seem to bother Michael Jordan. Injuries might be a concern, but not mental stress.

Standing pat: The San Antonio Spurs come to town today for their semi-annual dramatic showdown with the Lakers, and even the Spurs aren't immune to trade rumors.

The model of stability for years, San Antonio might look for a point guard upgrade, as Beno Udrih has failed to meet expectations in a backup role, but coach Gregg Popovich said no trade is imminent.

"(Popovich) made a statement (Wednesday) that he wasn't trading anybody, that we were going to do it together, that this group of guys is going to do it as a team," Robert Horry told the San Antonio Express-News. "But you know who that is. I'm not saying he won't do that, but it's the nature of the business.

"If somebody came up and said, `We'll give you Tracy McGrady,' he would be foolish not to do that."

Leave it to Horry, the longtime sage of the Lakers' locker room, to sum things up perfectly.

Yellow cards, perhaps: Stu Jackson, the NBA's discipline guru, told Bloomberg News that the league is looking into the idea of calling technical fouls when refs determine that players are flopping.

That's already the rule in international play, and in hockey and soccer, sports in which contact fouls are called, so Jackson said the league will look into the feasibility of punishing players.

"They're really difficult to determine in real time. They're meant to fool an official," Jackson told the service. "Are we going to be wrong more times than not? It's tough, but we're looking at it."

rich.hammond@dailynews.com

http://www.dailynews.com/search/ci_5103902

Yeah, I understand this tool made some points about yao being out since mid dec. but most of the votes yao got was when he was playin to an mvp caliber lets not forget that, and don't get me wrong I know nash is a great player, but people want to see mack attack, the high flying of the wall dunks, even though I don't see him trying any of that stuff. just my two cents. sorry might be a bit bias, but got to stand up for the rocks.

2. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

More Houston love from a typical DUMB F*CK.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

divino25 rises from the ashes to post a corker of an article.

Sweet read, thanks for posting.

4. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

WTF?? DEF. SHOULDN'T BE YAO??? :mad:

5. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

this guy cant even back himself up.. lol

6. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Someone spam his email address with hate mail or sign it up for p*rn sites.

7. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

he might enjoy that

maybe gay p*rn sites?

8. divino25

divino25 New Member

"**** head", excuse my attempt for showing rockets some love.

9. NothingButNet

NothingButNet Member

Fellow Rockets fans,

Don't be pissed by this biased article. Treat this garbage as another motivation for Yao and when he comes back in March, he will single-handly destroy all the negative views and let those critics eat their own words embassed like Charles Barkley ass-kissing.

10. Dei

Dei Member

Sorry to crash, but Yao has been out since Dec. 23 and T-mac himself gave Nash credits for a fantastic season in an interview.

But like most people don't realize, the All-Star game is a popularity contest. I won't be surprised if the Western Conference still has Mac, KG, Duncan, Yao and Kobe as starters 3 years from now.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

on the one hand nash surely deserves to be a starter and i have no problem with someone else starting at center since yao has been out for over a month. BUT, on the other hand it's not as criminal as this piece of **** makes it out to be. tracy has been flat out fantastic leading this team while yao has proven to be the most dominant post presence in the game period.

yes you can make the argument that others deserve to start but when these two are so good why bother? we're not talking grant hill here.

12. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

what these dumba$$es can't seem to figure out is the idea of the all-star game is for the fan's to see who they want to see. not whoever has the best stats or whoever is better fundamentally. the fans want to be entertained. so we choose whoever entertains us. jeez!

13. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

who cares? yao's not gonna play at the asg even if he is healthy again by then?

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

dude... he wasn't talking about you.. he was talking about the guy that wrote the article.

I understand the point that some players that deserve to play in the All star didn't make the voting cut, but you know what .. we killed that topic in another thread.

It's a popularity contest... think Homecoming King and Queen, its not really about who does the most for the school, its about the most popular guy and girl.

The same is true for the all star game, that's why the coaches get to choose the rest of the all star reserves.

15. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

he might enjoy that

16. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Great idea :)

17. Highwire

Highwire Member

what's the point in voting if some dumb people can say "It should be", "It shouldn't be..."...

18. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Another moron can't get over the fact, that no matter what he thinks he is, his vote is, still his vote only. Nobody can force anyone else what to vote. Even if I want to vote for Flying Bowen, it's still my right. It's a frigging show, that All Star game thing. All the attention whores jumped up and down, acting insulted, if someone disagrees with them. WTH!

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Kucinich should be president, but the election is just a popularity contest! :rolleyes:

20. jkg123

jkg123 Member

Well...you are 1/2 right. However, anyone who writes articles about All-Star injustices has no originality. I guess he just wants to see his name in the paper...like me with this post. ;)