1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dick Justice: What to do with McGrady now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 27, 2009.

1. logicx

logicx Member

I've got a new idea...maybe somebody can jump on this bandwagon with me...

The title of this thread is "What to do with McGrady now?"...well...I say...don't play him anymore. Yeah, that's right. Don't play this shell-of-his-former-self, has-been, wanna-be, not-sure-if-he's-gonna-be-great-again player.

There's a good way to stop the drama.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Pretty hateful article.

Oh well these things tends to sell more.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

LOL that sure worked well for quieting the drama the first 2 months didn't it?
    </sarcasm>

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not true! Adelman knows T-Mac's role -- he just doesn't know which team it'll be with. :)

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Make it snappy so the board go move onto fighting over Mac's Rocket legacy.
    *Sigh* This will never be over.

6. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Whatever you may think of TMac, management is handling this whole thing like a bunch of damn idiots that don't know what a fire is, much less how not to play with it. We look like "Knicks-south" with this situation.

Suspend the guy from team activities, trade him, whatever. But this overcomplicated ruse of "re-integrating and evaluating" a player you obviously no longer want is grating on everyone's nerves. I mean, playing a former all-star -who still thinks he an all-star- for 8 minutes a game...and limiting him to those 8 minutes no matter how well he plays, as a method of "evaluation." You thought that was going to work? Really?? This is Tracy f-ing McGrady, king of running his mouth to the press. Nobody but a few fans on a message board had the foresight to see this coming? Then they actually acted shocked when he expressed his frustration to the media. WTF were you expecting?

Now we're getting PC bullsh!t like "was given permission to leave for son's birthday party" and "we will re-assess the situation," so they can drag this drama out even longer. And the best part is that this is all supposed to be less of a distraction to the team, somehow. lol.

Rox fans deserve better than this from both TMac and the people in charge. Make a damn decision.

7. logicx

logicx Member

I think I love you...no really...

That's everything I've been wanting to say but have sucked at saying. I love it.

I think this is selfishness on both sides...obviously and I guess most people won't argue that Tracy is selfish...we know why he needs to get on the court...he needs to get better, play and get back to normal, and showcase himself. But what about some possible selfishness from the organization? Don't we need to showcase him if we're gonna get something for him? Of course...but not too much...we don't want him to get the fans back on his side and we don't want him to get injured before we can toss him. Don't blame either side for a couple of those things...everyone has motives for doing what they do, but I think the best point you made is "This is Tracy f-ing McGrady, king of running his mouth to the press. Nobody but a few fans on a message board had the foresight to see this coming? Then they actually acted shocked when he expressed his frustration to the media. WTF were you expecting?"

We saw what happened last year...we didn't learn our lesson? Like you said, make a decision, be firm, both sides, IMO, are contributing to this drama.

8. albuster

albuster Member

McGrady's record speaks for itself too, right? Come on, what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

This is not an admission though that I share your opinion of Mr. Justice and his so called "record".

9. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

Well mabye if you open your eyes when t-mac wasnt playing he was in a suit on the bench. Now rick adelman came up with the idea to sit him not mcgrady of course. So he knew he wasnt going to play, so he asked to go home for his sons birthday. WHY IS THIS SUCH A BIG DEAL..get over. YALL are the drama queens

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Before i duck out of yet another mcgrady thread, can ask you and whomever wants to answer? If all this is true and the rockets are tired of his act and think he is the devil on 2 feet, why don't they just do what detroit did to iverson and indy did to tinsley? If its this bad, wouldn't the easiest thing to do is tell him to stay away from the team until they get something worked out? Thats all i'm saying. Now you and the oyher can blow this same tired ass thread up again.

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Seconded. We're tired of this crap on both sides.

12. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I always take RJ with a grain of salt but the Tracy went home with games to play and none of us can ignore that point - no matter how much salt you shake on it. We all want T-Mac - we only have Tracy on the mend at this time. And we all know that he isn't going to quit talking. He just makes too much to move anywhere apparently or DM would have made a move on it.

We will just have to wait and be patient to see if a team will play the "expiring contract game". And, DM has said there is nothing cooking at this time. The Rox may just let his contract expire, take whatever insurance money they can get, not play him the rest of the year, and move on in the summer.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Because unlike those situations, the Rockets are still drawing insurance payments, and are hoping to trade him.

So while I am not shocked by any of this...as I am sure most of us aren't....

I think it will fester until the trade deadline unless he is traded sooner.

And if he is not traded, I could see this going all year, because insurance pays for his contract....so the team has no reason to buy him out, at all.

DD

14. worzel gummidge

ai and tinsley weren't traded. morey has repeatedly said the rockets best chance of upgrading is through trade and not free agency in 2010.

telling mcgrady to stay at home allows him to seek arbitration. the rockets don't benefit from a buyout. they need to keep him until the trade deadline.

15. logicx

logicx Member

Thirded...if that's a word.

There's a better way to handle this (on both sides)...and this ain't it. If he's a cancer...cut him out...radiate him...get him the heck away and be done with it.

16. Summer Song Giver

I have to side with the Rocket's here. Mcgrady will have to play by our rules or not play at all; either way insurance is covering the money side so the burden is on TMAC to play by their rules.

If he pouts he sits.

Besides, the only potential deals for him at this point are for his contract, either expiring(s) for TMAC's expiring to a team who thinks they may stand to lose an asset for nothing and would be willing to move that asset for TMAC and one of our assets.

Just to put a face on it, say DWADE asks out of Miami before the deadline, we send Mcgrady and Brooks or Buddinger along with Mcgrady for Wade plus whatever other filler salaries MIa would have to send.

Either way, it does us no good to let Mcgrady play, and yeah, maybe it is a bit spiteful to make him sit if he is ready for 36 mins a game but I don't care, he made his bed now he has to lie in it.

17. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

His reason is 23 million dollars. That is $280,000 per game. The fool can set his ass in first class and clap a couple times for that much money.

18. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

QFT!!!! The Rockets have mishandled this mess man. I feel that Rick and Daryl made the mistake of playing McGrady in the first place when it was already pretty clear he had no chance on this team. If anything, the organization brought this distraction to themselves.

#78 Rocketeer, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  19. logicx

logicx Member

Yes, but I'll even admit they had to play him to showcase him, whatever, etc., whatever you want to call it.

The problem is, they led Tracy (and everyone) to believe that the 7-8min thing was temporary and that he'd get more minutes when he improved and showed he could play them...

So don't be shocked when he's pissed he's not getting more minutes...hello.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They have not mishandled anything, they are doing the smart thing for the business of the Rockets.

By keeping him somewhat with the team they get to collect 80% of his salary from insurance.

While we may want a resolution, it doesn't matter, they have to do what is right for the organization as a whole.

Because we all like them spending $4 million on extra picks, don't we?

Sometimes you have to take the bad to get the good.

DD