1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dick Ebersol Survives Plane Crash

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketsPimp, Nov 28, 2004.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=2&u=/ap/20041128/ap_on_re_us/jet_crash

MONTROSE, Colo. - NBC Sports Chairman and President Dick Ebersol survived a charter plane crash that killed at least two people Sunday, NBC said in a statement through its Denver affiliate KUSA-TV.

Montrose County sheriff's officials said three survivors, including Ebersol, were seriously injured when the jet crashed through a fence and burst into flames at Montrose Regional Airport, which serves the Telluride Ski Area.

The network said the pilot and co-pilot were killed. Rescuers were searching for a sixth person listed on the plane's manifest whose seat from the plane was missing from the wreckage.

Linda McCool, a nursing supervisor at Montrose Memorial Hospital, said three men were brought to the hospital after the crash, but had all been transferred to other hospitals by Sunday afternoon. McCool would not release where or how they were transported, or what condition they were in.

Identities of other victims were not immediately released pending notification of relatives, but KUSA said Ebersol's wife, actress Susan St. James, was not on the plane.

Authorities were searching for the missing person in rugged terrain by helicopter and on the ground.

The crash occurred in an area covered with small brush and cedar trees, sheriff's Communications Supervisor David Learned said. A large drainage ditch also is at the site.

It was snowing in the area but regional Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites) spokesman Allen Kenitzer said he did not know if that was a factor. The National Weather Service (news - web sites) had forecast up to 2 feet of snow by afternoon in the area.

The plane was on its way to South Bend, Ind. Kenitzer identified the plane's tail number as N873G, a CL-601 Challenger registered to Jet Alliance of Millville, N.J.

An operator at Jet Alliance said she had no information about the crash.

Investigators from the FAA (news - web sites) and National Safety Transportation Board were en route to the airport, 185 miles southwest of Denver.

Ebersol became president of NBC Sports in 1989, running a network division that has dwindled down to just the Olympics and smaller events like Wimbledon (news - web sites) tennis and professional golf. Last summer's Olympics in Athens proved to be very successful for NBC and for Ebersol, a protege of Roone Arledge, the former ABC sports executive who pioneered modern Olympic coverage.

Ebersol also worked as an NBC entertainment executive, and in the early 1980s was executive producer of Saturday Night Live, when Lorne Michaels left.

2. Kam

Kam Member

NBC Sports used to be so damn good.

Dick Ebersol is the best though.

3. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Member

The weather is awful here. SERIOUS snow. I have a foot of snow outside my condo in north Boulder (30-45 minutes northwest of Denver). One of my friends drove from Grand Junction to Boulder today in which it's supposed to take 4 hours. Took her over 8.

Latest reports are that one of Ebersol's sons is the one missing. Best of luck to everyone involved in this.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

Let me first off say this is staggering for me,...just this morning I dreamed there would be a plane crash either in Denver or around Colorado, and that it would be a medium size plane, it would happen at takeoff or on landing and most people would survive...I would have predicted it happening within 1 month...

The reason I say this is because I had another dream of a plane exploding over the air near new york (in the past), and within a month...It happened...I really thought about posting my dream, but thought I would be laughed at...Now I wonder if it's something more than coincidence...

5. synergy

synergy Member

i onced dreamed the rockets would win a game.. within 2 days it happened. scary stuff dude.