1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Devaluation of the $1: second push

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Space Ghost, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

When I was a kid, a penny might stay on the ground for sometime, but a dime was quickly snatched up by anyone. Many years later, it isn't rare to see a dime laying on the ground and everyone passing it up. Even now, most people hand over a quarter like its some kind of nuisance, happy to part from it. If you ask them for a dollar, then the mental "credit line" opens up in a persons mind, ready for that day when they seek the need for a quick vending snack.

I feel that if the $1 coin replaces the dollar, then we will see a great devaluation in the next decade, as people push the $1 into common pocket change. I believe the american dollar will be devalued greatly over the next decade, even more so since gold no longer backed the dollar.

I know many people will say, "well the dollar coin has always been around", but it seems our government is really pushing to replace the dollar bill. I think we need to hang on the dollar bill and the penny as long as possible.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070212/ap_on_bi_ge/money_ap_poll

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Aren't they going to get rid of the penny and make current pennies into nickels?

3. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

When you were a kid a dime was probably equal to what a dollar is today. Didn't Sam Walton start out with a Dime Store?

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Get rid of the penny, but only on cash transactions. Round down every price that ends in two, and round up every price that ends in three. The number of times a price is rounded up and down would be somewhat close together. I think people can swing an extra three cents on their purchases every now and then. The only problem would be updating all the cash registers, but since most cash registers are computerized now, I think it would only involve a little simple reprogramming.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

don't you know a penny off every transaction can be worth millions of dollars??

[​IMG]

6. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Nice! :cool:

7. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

That would be ideal. I wouldn't even mind rounding up to 8 cents to get rid of the nickel. That's nothing. It's not like your rounding every dollar you spend, just the entire purchase. Everything will end with a 0. Well if that's the case, make the cut-off 4 cents.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I don't get it. I love Richard Pryor and the only movie that I don't recall seeing him in was "Superman III" so this must be from that or maybe another unknown that I haven't seen.

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

MICHAEL
    It's pretty brilliant. What it does is where there's a bank
    transaction, and the interests are computed in the thousands a day in
    fractions of a cent, which it usually rounds off. What this does is it
    takes those remainders and puts it into your account.

PETER
    This sounds familiar.

MICHAEL
    Yeah. They did this in Superman III.

PETER
    Yeah. What a good movie.

PETER
    That's the beauty of it. Each withdrawal is a fraction of a cent.
    That's too small to notice. Take a thousand withdrawals a day, space it
    out over a few years, that's a couple hundred thousand dollars.

MICHAEL
    Just like Superman III.

SAMIR
    Superman III ? - that's it, I have to leave now, ok? (gets up) I have to get my resume ready.

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Just make sure you get enough money on the side to afford one of these.

[​IMG]

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Guess you never watched Office Space either...

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I would have used the dollar coin more often, but it would weigh down my wallet too much. I would have a Costanza wallet then.