1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Detroit Style Pizza in Houstone! Good or bad?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 22, 2021.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Trust me you don’t want to have anything to do with detroit

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I don't know if this has any credence, but I heard someone say that NY dough is the best because of the water, same thing goes for bagels....something in the water. I`ve never had a deep dish but would like to try, there a little hole in the wall on Louetta by my house that's ok https://www.tonysnypizzahouston.com/location

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Kennealley’s thin crust is fantastic. (No not Detroit style but this thread seems to have moved from that).
    Also, although it is a chain, Russo’s pizza is pretty damn good as well. Luna isn’t bad either. Also Bambalino’s is still good.

4. Buck Turgidson

NYC tapwater is basically a neutral pH and has minimal calcium (soft water), so it does make a difference in baked goods. Here's more info than you probably want:

Boring science stuff: http://www.triangularwave.com/BakeryEffects.htm

NYC-specific article: https://www.ediblemanhattan.com/eat/theres-something-in-the-water/

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

This is why Grimaldi's processes the water at all it's non-NYC locations. People saying there's no good pizza in Texas, haven't been to Grimaldi's.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Was gonna @ you after this bit of yadda yadda:
    “The standard "NY Slice" is pretty terrible.

Anyplace with a wood burning horno is solid. Making pizza is not complicated. Make dough, make sauce, throw some stuff on it, that's it.”

The dough is the most important factor in pizza… by far. Bread is not bread, brisket is not brisket. Well crafted simplicity is not complicated but also not easy to achieve. Sorry you had bad experiences with NY pizza. There are sooooooooooooo many joints you could just be super unlucky. I’ve eaten terrible bbq in Texas, after all.

jiggyfly and clos4life like this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.