1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Detroit News] Pistons owner Davidson faces some taxing decisions

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by enigmacx, Jul 4, 2007.

1. enigmacx

enigmacx Member

The Pistons may decide to let Amir Johnson walk depending on how things shake out with other free agents they are pursuing, writes Chris McCoskey of the Detroit News.
    Pistons owner Bill Davidson is not interested in paying any luxury tax and with Chauncey Billups still to be signed and the team also interested in Grant Hill, if a team offers Johnson enough money, Detroit may be unable to re-sign him, McCoskey suggests.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070703/SPORTS08/707030399/1127

2. AkeemTheDreem86

I think the question is: How much of our MLE do we offer?

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Misleading thread title in "Dumars to let Amir Johnson walk". Article doesn't say that at all.

Changed thread title to : "[Detroit News] Pistons owner Davidson faces some taxing decisions"

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I keep seeing people talk about this guy, but I've never seen him play. I hope he's as good as people here seem to think he is if we sign him. But to be honest, I kind of doubt it if Dumars is ready to watch him walk away so easily.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets should offer a front-loaded contract to Amir Johnson... let's say, 3 years $10-12 millin, but with the first year figure being the full MLE.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're right about Dumars. I can't say what the owners will do but it will be interesting to see what happens. IMO Amir Johnson is not what the Rockets are looking for because of his inexperience but they have shown mild interest in him.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't do that.

Just like raises, paycuts are bounded as well. You can do a 3 year deal starting at 4.3m, and declining by the 8% to get a 12 million dollar total deal.

When teams talk about front loading, it's usually with a high money player and they give him a signing bonus (which maxes out at 20%) -- for a guy on an 80 million dollar deal, you're talking about an initial outlay of ~25 mill (signing bonus + first year salary). 20% of a 12 mill is not going to have the same effect, and it doesn't effect the cap.

8. Carl Herrera

Good to know... but they can still front load it, for cap purpose, as much as possible. May not be a lot of difference in terms of raw salary, but if luxury tax limit is the absolute highest DET will go, it could make a difference.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I showed the most front loaded scenario.

A signing bonus would not help to front load it for cap purposes -- it counts the same against the cap as if there were no bonus.

10. Carl Herrera

What I meant is that the difference between $4.3 million and $3.7 million in first year salary, given how close DET is to the tax limit, could convince them not to match.

Another thing they can do, if they want to offer a higher value, is to have the last year not being guaranteed (like Sura) so if he busts, he stays on the cap shorter.

11. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Amir is the only FA I'm still interested in. Hopefully, they get it done. Darko is interesting, but the Magic have seen him all season long, and aren't doing anything to keep him ... not a good sign. Detroit let him go for nothing for almost nothing. I think we'd be better off with Amir.

Hopefully we do what it takes to get him, perhaps pick up Francis, and trade Alston, Sura's contract and anyone else (Snyder, JL3, etc.) for a decent PF.

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

for those who don't know who Amir Johnson is, do a search ... there's lot of info that's been written here.

#12 Sherlock, Jul 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Also the Detroit Free Press article from a few days ago:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070701/SPORTS03/707010598/1051&&imw=Y

I'm not sure who it was suggesting a $3 million offer (Feigen?), but that would be matched by the Pistons. They would match it no question and dump salary as they go to avoid luxury tax if necessary. You likely would have to overpay and take a big risk on Amir to land him.

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

offering the majority of the full MLE is risky but well worth it. A 20 year old 6'9 rebounder and shot blocker with range is now 6'11...take the risk!

15. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Grant Hill will become a Phoenix Sun any day now. It may not be "official" till the 11th, but it will happen, so the Pistons working hard to keep their two main FA guys makes a LOT of sense.

I'm still a Darko guy. I pray we don't end up with Mikki Moore or Joe Smith or any of the other has-been, never will be kind of players that seem to litter the FA market.

There's a reason so few are getting phone calls from their agents. Moore needs to stay in the East, preferably on a team that needs a big man and same for Joe Smith, I like the guy, but NOT as a starter, and no, we cannot have Landry or Chuck start next year if we expect to be better.