1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Detroit bankruptcy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Detroit's solution to its fiscal crisis: go ahead with its plan to build a $450 million taxpayer-funded sports arena <a href="http://t.co/ZylwcN8FgZ" title="http://ow.ly/nnIqK">ow.ly/nnIqK</a></p>&mdash; Walter Russell Mead (@wrmead) <a href="https://twitter.com/wrmead/status/361206531565428736" data-datetime="2013-07-27T19:28:42+00:00">July 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Since the legislation passed in December, what the article linked in the tweet does not tell us is what binding construction agreements have been signed, etc.

If there is nothing binding at this point, not only is it distasteful to continue plans for such a project, it may be a basis to object to confirmation of the Chapter 9 plan.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. Nook

Nook Member

I don't understand why a huge corporation doesn't just buy the land for pennies on the dollar, demolish large areas and put their corporate headquarters there. They can then sell the land in the surrounding area for a large profit.

5. g1184

g1184 Member

If my company moved to Detroit, I would not follow. At the very best, it would be a very difficult decision and even then I would probably leave within 2 years.

I'm not sure how pervasive that feeling is, but I'm willing to bet at least 50% of people not living in Detroit would feel the same.

6. Classic

Classic Member

For one, the labor pool in the immediate area doesn't look promising. If they gotta import all their labor who's really down with that given status of schools, crime & property values?

7. Nook

Nook Member

I have thought about that. However, I would think that enough people would follow. I agree that the local labor force would not be qualified, but it seems that the VERY low cost of the land, surrounding land, etc would be worth it.

You could build huge houses in the area, and Detroit is in a good geographical location.

The corporation would essentially control the local government.... and would look like a hero.

Detroit is so empty right now that I would think it would be worth it... but apparently not.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that there are plenty of qualified members of the workforce in areas that surround Metro Detroit.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The people can be taught.
    As stated the Corporation would have unprecedented power and control
    almost like a City-state. [serfdom?]

I would not doubt some company maybe debating it
    or negotiating the concessions with the city

Rocket River

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

You down with OCP?
    [​IMG]

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Yeah, Detroit itself is a mess but the suburbs are still in pretty good shape. Just look at the population of the city itself vs the metro population.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

probably not that far from the truth

Rocket River

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

dammit, wrong thread.

Cohete Rojo and Os Trigonum like this.