1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Desperate for Supporters, DeLay Turns to Stephen Colbert

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, May 24, 2006.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You would think this was a joke, but you would be wrong.

Desperate for Supporters, DeLay Turns to Stephen Colbert

A good sign that Tom DeLay doesn’t have the facts on his side: the top source for his latest defense against his critics is Stephen Colbert.

This morning, DeLay’s legal defense fund sent out a mass email criticizing the movie “The Big Buy: Tom DeLay’s Stolen Congress,” by “Outfoxed” creator Robert Greenwald.

The email features a “one-pager on the truth behind Liberal Hollywood’s the Big Buy,” and the lead item is Colbert’s interview with Greenwald on Comedy Central (where Colbert plays a faux-conservative, O’Reilly-esque character). The headline of the “fact sheet”:

DeLay thinks Colbert is so persuasive, he’s now featuring the full video of the interview at the top of the legal fund’s website. And why not? According to the email, Greenwald “crashed and burned” under the pressure of Colbert’s hard-hitting questions, like “Who hates America more, you or Michael Moore?”

Apparently the people at DeLay’s legal fund think that Colbert is actually a conservative. Or maybe they’re just that desperate for supporters.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/05/24/delay-colbert/

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And apparently no one there owns an Ipod!

:D

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

4. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Congratulations, Tom. You have just been owned by Stephen Colbert.

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I hope Stephen Colbert doesn't turn into another Dick Morris. Every time I see Morris on FoxNews, I want to puke.

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Or has Colbert's comic genius owned himself? The fact that his satire is LOVED by conversatives and dare I say rallies them is something right out of O. Henry or The Twilight Zone.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I was hoping Colbert would capitalize and invite DeLay on the show.

8. Mori

Mori Contributing Member

I think the show is on a two week break. Still, if Delay thinks Colbert is sincere, having him on the show would be comedy gold.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hell, he's doing all the House districts, anyway. Why not DeLay's, while he's still there? I can't believe how many Congresspersons have let themselves get skewered on his show. It's a riot!

Keep D&D Civil.

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Has there ever been this kind of gaff from a politician? It goes beyond hilarious that staffers would not have gotten any wind of Colbert's role playing comedy, or that they haven't at least google'd his show before posting this on their site. It really shatters the image of the cold calculating moral-less but inherently shrewd political machine.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, there was the Democratic Congressman caught splashing in a DC fountain with a stripper years ago, wasn't there? Not as terrible as what DeLay did, but more entertaining, lol! Besides, from where I sit, DeLay's aura of invincibility has been shattered for a long time.

Keep D&D Civil.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

True.

Yeah but I wasn't talking about his aura of invincibility being shattered - that was more a case of his cold calculation catching up with him, IMO - similar to what's happening with Rove. But this just debunks the aura of shrewdness. Someone can be smart but unethical - this shows a serious lack of 'smarts.'

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Either that or panic driven desperation, clutching at anything and everything. In this case he grabbed ahold of an anchor that will only pull him further down.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Right now, DeLay is like the poor, pathetic, junior officer in Master and Commander, driven to jump over the side gripping a cannonball, out of pure desperation.

I love it! No one deserves to look the fool more than DeLay.

Keep D&D Civil.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Infallability is a mistake all criminals do. Even if Lay is gone, he isn't taking anyone down with him.

A lot of high ranking Republican officials have stepped down over the past 5 years, yet most are seen as isolated incidents. Maybe they aren't smart, but they are a part of something bigger.

16. Mori

Mori Contributing Member

I can't believe I forgot that segment! It never ceases to amaze me how r****ded some of the representatives can sound, though I imagine the editing plays into that. Still, he must do it for the good of America. :D