1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Designer of AK-47 dies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hooroo, Dec 23, 2013.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://world.time.com/2013/12/23/mikhail-kalashnikov-soviet-inventor-of-the-ak-47-dies-at-94/

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

ugh. Please don't post 4chan screenshots.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

IB4 gun control argument

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Andrei Kirilenko faints.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

When I played Rainbow Six 2 decades ago, I thought AK47s weren't that good. I preferred Uzis.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Definitely wasn't a good day.

7. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

AK47 in Goldeneye 64 = Kf7 Soviet

that's how I'll always remember the man. that, and how he invented the glock of assault rifles, easily making them fully automatic by removing 1 metal spring.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

This could move to the D&D very quickly. I am not upset that he died on Festivus. You cannot defend killing machines by saying that the principle behind it was pure engineering. I could say the same thing about vibrators or dildos.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Might want to stick to video games. Your knowledge of machinery in the real world needs improvement.

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

In his own words:

"I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists ... I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower."

"Blame the Nazi Germans for making me become a gun designer ... I always wanted to construct agriculture machinery."

"I created a weapon to defend the borders of my motherland. It's not my fault that it's being used where it shouldn't be. The politicians are more to blame for this."

"When a young man, I read somewhere the following: God the Almighty said, 'All that is too complex is unnecessary, and it is simple that is needed' ... So this has been my lifetime motto – I have been creating weapons to defend the borders of my fatherland, to be simple and reliable."

11. Raven

Raven Member

It was hilarious.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

is this the guy from the Rocky movie?

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

John Stockton falls.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Weapon makers and their logic about how they didn't intend their weapons to be used in this way when they created them. Oh brother. Yea...right! Whatever helps you sleep at night! :rolleyes:

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Beat me to it!

[​IMG]

16. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

"Blame the Nazi Germans for making me become a gun designer ... I always wanted to construct agriculture machinery."

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"I created a weapon to defend the borders of my motherland. It's not my fault that it's being used where it shouldn't be. The politicians are more to blame for this."

Judging by this quote...I don't think he quite reconciled himself on it. He knew when he was making it that it would go beyond its intended use. He probably did lose some sleep thinking about this.

The scientists making the original nukes had similar thoughts. They knew if they made it...it would likely be used and the effects would be devastating. And, it would be out of their hands how it would be used once it was made. But, they still felt some personal responsibility for their roles in making it.

All I'm saying is each one of these individuals making weapons I don't think can get their own thoughts entirely away from their own personal involvement in the making of the weapon and the intended or unintended events that happened next. They knew when they were making it that it wouldn't solely exist for just the one thing they thought they were making it for. But, that's the dilemma.

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Wait what's a gun look like? O that's right we don't have any, moving on.....

19. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member