1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure what you're rambling on about...

but since you're responding to me quickly, quickly respond with the last player from any of the major sports that signed a mega extension to only demand a trade 5 months later.

It's pretty rare.

That aside, player can demand trades and use their leverage to force trades if they want. But they can't just walk from a team, as that's against the CBA - or they can, but they basically have to retire and give back signing bonus money.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So he shouldnt have signed the extension? Yeah that would have gone over well.

Well then he retires - gives back those 21Ms and then you guys will be happy! Win/Win! Im sure Roger Goodell is going to be ecstatic that one of the brightest stars in the whole league has such incredible problems with this owner and managers that he is prepared to sit out the year or retire.

Deshaun can go play for a team that values winning more than these idiots do here, Cal gets his money back and we get another QB carousel - whats not to like?

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You're kind of going off the deep end here.

You wondered why teams could cut players but it couldn't be the other way. I explained that to you. You wondered why "it happened all the time" then, I'm guessing referring to players forcing their way out of situations, to which I noted it's actually VERY rare that it happens immediately after signing a huge extension.

If DW had concerns about the Texans ownership and culture before signing the extension, then absolutely HE shouldn't have signed it. I'm glad he did...as from my perspective at this point in time, it's a win win. We've gotten rid of BOB who was god awful despite Watson's backing. And now we'll either have DW, or we won't but will have a bunch of draft picks ....

It just is what it is. I can't change the ownership.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'll be eagerly awaiting the TEAM criticism when they release JJ Watt to save cap space.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. likestohypeguy

There is only one standard, the contract. Each party can do whatever they want, either within the bounds of the language of the contract, or even outside the bounds of the contract, and be held to the consequences of their action or inaction, per the contract.

There is no okay or not okay. That Goes for both the organization and player, one standard, the contract that both parties signed.

I say this as a fan of DeShaun Watson, who at this point I hope he makes it out, and to an organization where he finds success. But there is no double standard.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Got it!

So the team needs to pay JJ Watt 17Ms this year right? Wait what? He's past the guaranteed portion of the contract? But .. but its almost like the teams have built in protections against these high contract players - its almost as if its not fair!

Ohhhh its the "PRECEDENT" that people are upset about .. cant have guys backing out on deals after 5 months.

If only there were better examples of NFL front offices imploding like this one has in the same time frame.

Seems like Deshaun is going to be breaking alot of records AND breaking ground in how billionaire owners treat the players.

League could even blackball Watson! YIKES!

8. likestohypeguy

I didn't say anything about precedent, fairness, being upset, nor JJ Watt. No I'm certain they can be just as punitive or rewarding to him as anyone else as it fits their interest, again as per the contract.

I agree DeShaun Watson is on historic record-breaking pace, And I also hope he makes it out of what most of us (Even Texans fans) consider has become one of the most dysfunctional organizations in sports, ever.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hmmm. Interesting.

I guess I was just postulating an example of a player (JJ) who can be cut with no strings attached even though he was promised that money at the onset of the agreement - thus my bad interpretation of 'double standard' - where the team can escape early and save money, but the players are expected to be indentured until the team decides they can leave.

Cal could have fixed all of this if he wanted to. He chose not to.

Cause and effect.