1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

for some reason, teams can just get rid of a guy whenever they want, and it’s no problem

but if a player tries to use what power he has to try and take control of his career, he’s ungrateful, entitled, a diva, a b*tch, etc

u see it all the time

Nook, Brando2101 and magman like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

To be fair, that's the result of the negotiations between the NFL and NFLPA. They negotiated non-guaranteed contracts so owners can void a contract while a player can't. They also negotiated signing bonuses to ensure if owners do cut contracts short, the players average annual pay likely goes up, giving him the opportunity to make more total money if he's still a productive player.

Nook, justtxyank and Ottomaton like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

the mindset I described is used for NBA players all the time as well

4. Major

Major Member

Absolutely - but in the NBA, owners can't just cancel contracts, so both sides are bound by the same situation. In terms of trades, the NBA and NBAPA negotiated the fact that owners can trade players at will too. When owners trade a player, it was a concept both sides negotiated together. When players demand trades, they are using "unofficial" power related to their particular circumstances, but it wasn't part of the design of how the system was meant to work. It's why Harden or Watson can effectively demand a trade, but the 12th man off the bench or the 3rd string linebacker can't.

I have no issues with them using their power, but criticism is going to part of the deal since they are "going rogue".

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

demanding a trade is within a player’s right tho, and now that they’ve realized that they have some leverage if they’re a star and are willing to use it, it’s some huge issue and the player starts getting called all sorts of things and getting trashed relentlessly

organizations often show little to no loyalty to a player, but a player is supposed to remain 100% loyal to the organization and the fans, many of whom will show their true colors once the player wants out

6. Fantasma Negro

7. conquistador#11

I'm team Deshaun as in I wanted him to expose everything that the 'culture' has consumed from Amy to the Rootes.
    Cryptic tweets have been week sauce. He never swung like AJ80, now that was 3 piece suit gangster. You wear that "C" like Messi. Speak up!

The commish needs to step in and fix this toxic culture and the Deshaun situation. I completely forgot that Deshaun still has that 5th year option from the team. The league can't allow incoming rookies to force their way after the team picking up their 5th year. If Deshaun sets the trend it's bad news for the entire league from how they operate. It would be good news for the NFLPA. So step in owners can't let one idiot owner and his brilliant 'culture' coach set the league ablaze.

Chilly_Pete, arkoe and mario_v like this.
  8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

...and I am unhappy with Deshaun

Bobbythegreat, whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This team is being rumored to be following players and spying on their activaties away from work and have also been linked to calling players MOMS to somehow expect some cooperation?

How can you blame Watson for wanting out of this? Who in their right mind would voluntarily work at a place so toxic?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

,.....and yet it wasn't a problem less than 5 months ago when he signed to stay here long term.

If this is the BS he's leaking to his simps to justify his b****assness, he needs to do better.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Is the team a "b**** ass" team when it makes cuts to players in order to save cap space? Why doesnt the team follow through on their end of the "agreement"

You love chasing your tail.

NotInMyHouse, Reeko and J.R. like this.
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not thrilled with either side in this mess.

On one hand, there is nothing the Texans have done, particularly of late, that has earned the benefit of the doubt in my mind. Quite the contrary, actually. They have issues that I see as fundamentally problematic as an organization.

On the other hand, I agree that those core issues were here when Deshaun signed his deal. Signing that kind of extension and then immediately asking out isn't a great look. I don't know if something else happened since the time he signed the extension that he found particularly offensive, aside from what we've heard about the promise to be involved in hiring a new coach and gm. I'd love for Deshaun to be clear about it with us, so that we can understand. He, alone, has the power to address the innuendos and say exactly what happened and how he feels about it. So far he's been unwilling to do that aside from cryptically posting song lyrics to social media. So we're all left relying on unnamed sources and the best guesses of NFL writers who are not seemingly talking to Deshaun, directly.

13. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I'm not mad at Watson, this franchise is currently a clown show so I can't blame him for wanting to play for a team whose primary focus is football, not religion, and whose owner isn't under the spell of some bald svengali type

Fiah, Reeko and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And let's be clear of the timeline here...
    On Jan. 3, he laid out a clear path forward for the organization. He didn't demand anything but he was very clear what needed to happen. You don't make that statement if your intention is to leave.

I'm not happy that he decided as early as... two weeks ago? That they were not following that path. Now, I understand he may have thought there was a *very* specific path - but if the idea is to create better culture, better leadership, singular focus on one goal... how can he deem that right/wrong *right now*?

Also, if the reports are true - that Easterby is the hold-up/problem... has Deshaun Watson walked into Cal McNair's office and demanded he make a choice? Has JJ? Those two have the power; they have the clout. They can make things *very* uncomfortable for this franchise (we we are seeing...) Maybe Watson did and *that's* what's changed since Jan. 3: they picked Easterby.

If so, I'm 100% Team Watson.

bigdaddy, MadMax, Nick and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a hard cap...what team isn't forced to do that from time to time.

That said, you do realize you're trying to bash one of the most over the top loyal franchises in the NFL just because a player is whining about not being able to call all the shots....right?

We're talking about a franchise who kept an O lineman they drafted for years after a cancer diagnosis and paid him hundreds of thousands of dollars just so he didn't lose his health insurance while sick..... a franchise that picked up Devon Still and paid him 675K knowing he'd never play for them, just so his daughter wouldn't lose her health insurance while battling cancer.

This is the franchise you want to bash simply because Watson is throwing a childish tantrum about not getting to be the HMFIC.

Well, I hope he sees you out here simping for him.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Over the top loyal to who??? LMAOOOOOO - to the executives in the offices? Okay!

To the players? I guess.

Its why you have the only player in this pathetic franchises "ring of honor" come out and bash the sht out of them right?

I guess Andre is another "b****" in your view too huh?

Reeko, TWS1986 and Fulgore like this.
  17. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Yeah I wish someone inside the organization would make things uncomfortable for the Texans. So far the only ones who seem to want to take them on are the sports media and the fans. Would be nice to have a high profile player like Watson or Watt to call them out.

Hey Now! likes this.
  18. Fantasma Negro

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Interesting... but they could have denied the other stories.

They deny this one because it obviously would lead to fines/penalties as he is under contract.

NotInMyHouse and Chilly_Pete like this.
  20. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Damn!

#1580 Chilly_Pete, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021