1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Deshaun Watson Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Jan 28, 2021.

?

Which trade package do you like best?

1. NYJ

60 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. MIA

30 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. JAX

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Other (state your preference in a post)

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think Wilson has a better chance to start day 1 than Fields does.
    Ideally they both would sit.
    Trevor would start day one with him and Watson coming from the same system.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup there is no set recipe which is why franchises can go decade(s) without finding a guy worthwhile. Just unreal how bad Cal screwed things up.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Maybe. One of the knocks on Deshaun early was his ability to read a defense and he was supposed to sit for a year if it wasn't for Tom Savage and his complete lack of skill. Texans did a good job of simplifying the offense for D4 and mimicking some of the things he did at Clemson and obviously he's gotten pretty good at reading a defense now. I would use the same kid gloves with Lawrence. I don't think he comes in running a technical NFL offense from day 1 - same for Wilson.

Thrust into action as a last resort you may need the more shifty and elusive guy with the crap OLine we have here, so that needs to be thought about too. Fields has that ability to slither out and use his legs - I haven't studied anything on Wilson other than highlight tape so I'm not ready to say he can escape the rush that would be coming. Lawrence can run like the wind too, but "feeling" the pressure is not something you can teach. Its one of D4s hard to replicate abilities.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s actually why I like Wilson. He’s not as fast as Trevor or Fields but has legs similar to Watson or Mahomes. But he’s slippery, which is what I would prefer over outright speed. And the arm talent is elite.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Crap that’s right.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think 99% of people would, but the Jets have the better picks, and the choice of QB after Lawrence. You only trade with the Dolphins if you'd take Tua over Fields/Wilson, IMO.

Depends on definition of a bust. I think it would be surprising if he is worse than Derek Carr. That would certainly be a disappointment, but I wouldn't call it a bust. Lawrence is the safest QB in a long time. Fields and Wilson are way higher risk.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t want a few #1’s . Even if there is a really good pick (top5 this year ) in them .

I want a team that will give us **** tons of picks. They don’t even have to be first rounders

I want 4 2nds, 3 3rds , and 2 4th’s .

maybe change a 2nd and 4th to a #1 if we can .

need as many shots as possible . And to build a good TEAM .

we weren’t in position to contend highly WITH Watson . Too many holes , way too many holes. So even if we draft some young QB stud in the top 5 , we are gonna suck and he is prolly gonna get sacked a ton (if we even start him)

take a shot at QB with one of those picks .

We have our own first and then extra capital . We can take a QB a year or two from now . Or maybe get lucky and find a good vet to bring in .

an extra 2 , 3 , and 4 for a few years will do wonders and if we find enough good pieces we can put a really good team on the field without having to get lucky and nail the QB pick (which , like I said even if we nail will set us back given that he’s a rookie and we have lots of holes )

8. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I wanted to start a thread. If traded what is cap hit. Does he have to give any signing bonus back. What does a trade do for us cap wise for free agency. Sadly a lot of good can come from this if done correctly. Just having the peeps on Kirby negotiating the deal leaves me thinking we will get some Gideon Bible's and a poster of hang in there baby for a closet door.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think I heard he would owe the Texans 21 of the 27 million

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Looking back at our draft history, it is very rare that we have found good players below the 2nd round. There are a few exceptions (Justin Reid, Brandon Brooks), albeit rare. You'll find some serviceable players in the mid rounds (Covington, Reader), but not the standouts.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Does anyone have confidence in Caserio to nail the picks we'd get back in return? I don't..

12. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

I don’t, I just know we’re going to get tua and less picks because tua is a good Christian boy...doesn’t matter that he doesn’t look great and doesn’t even have the confidence of Miami players

he fits our Christian culture

Sooty and Genesis like this.
  13. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Whatever happens I have no doubt the Texans will get raped and take a terrible package.

Fulgore, Sooty and Jwise44 like this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If the Jets had the first pick, I don't believe they'd deal Lawrence for Watson - it doesn't really make sense.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And Patrick Mahomes went to Texas Tech, which falls somewhere in the middle of all these schools.

Yeah, I really don't think you can take much from their schools - good or bad. You evaluate their physical talent, their mental acuity - but at the end of the day, the single biggest factor - well, two: 1) his commitment to getting good/better; 2) his coach/scheme/system. And from there, it sure helps to land on a team with some talent around them (look at Mahomes falling into Hill & Kelce).

Name any top QB in the league and they're surrounded by very smart coaches. I can't think of a single one - outside of Watson - who has succeeded in spite of their head coach.

#77 Hey Now!, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Major likes this.
  17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Jones maybe had the most underrated season of all time. Grant it he was playing with the best OL in the country and 3 first round picks, 2 of which will likely go in the top 10 (Smith and Waddle).

18. dmoneybangbang

I'm confused with the no trade clause.... would/could Watson even go to a place like the Jets or the Jags?

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If he approves the trade yep.