1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Jan 28, 2021.

?

Which trade package do you like best?

1. NYJ

60 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. MIA

30 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. JAX

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Other (state your preference in a post)

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There is no way you’re getting multiple firsts and seconds along with Wilson.

whag00 likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

No way the Seahawks add those kinds of picks. You might get one 1st. Wilson is a Super Bowl winner who's been a top QB his entire NFL career. The only downside for him is age, but 32 isn't old for a QB.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wilson would not want to come here anyway. This team is far away from contending why would he come to a place which has no shot of winning the SB any time soon?

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL

This was posted on Deshaun's Instagram. NY to Miami. Jets to Dolphins.

Attached Files:

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So what do you think that means?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/22/deshaun-watson-trade-texans-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

The Lead: Watson Deals

Over the weekend, two common themes emerged about Houston’s near future. One: The Texans have one untouchable player, Watson, as of now. Two: Houston is not only not interested in trading Watson but also not interested in listening to offers for him. At least two teams have given offers to Houston and gotten zero feedback. Like, no reaction, no “We’ll get back to you.” Nothing.

Surely rookie GM Nick Caserio is gathering said offers in a Stickie on his desktop, or in some encrypted Word file. He knows one day he might have to act on one of them. I’m told he’s categorically opposed to trading Watson, period—either in the next nine weeks before the draft (when he’d clearly get the best deal to start the Texans’ post-Watson lives) or ever. It’s easy to say that, of course, when the deadline is far away. It’s easy to say that too, when you know that trading a 25-year-old franchise quarterback is crazy, and when fresh in the memory of all Houston fans is the warm-and-fuzzy press conference just 24 weeks ago when a grateful and emotional Watson was so thrilled to sign a $156-million contract extension with the Texans.

No one knows who will fold, who will stay strong. Caserio and owner Cal McNair have never been in the eye of a storm like this one. Watson, the friendly and guileless great player, has never had to make a decision as weighty as sitting out an offseason and maybe a season.

I think Caserio is playing it right, at least for now. The message is out there: Houston’s not even listening to offers. Maybe they’re serious about sitting on Watson. But Caserio also has to be cognizant of asking 53 players he doesn’t know—perhaps prepping for the season in the same virtual and fairly impersonal world that 2020 was—to take the field in 2021 with the worst team in the league, perhaps quarterbacked by an A.J. McCarron type. The results would be disastrous and could rip the team asunder even worse than it is now. J.J. Watt’s already jumped ship. Who would be next? Who, I should say, of any value?

So if Watson continues to say he won’t play for the Texans, Caserio would be able to make his best deal in the days before the April 29 first round. Below are the best candidates, keeping in mind teams cannot trade draft picks beyond 2023 right now, and keeping in mind how draft-poor the Texans are. Houston has no first-round or second-round pick this year, and isn’t scheduled to pick till number 67 in round three.

• CAROLINA PANTHERS. I’d be surprised if the Panthers hadn’t made an offer by now, quite frankly. This is a fit in many ways. Very aggressive new owner (David Tepper), who would move mountains for a franchise QB. It’s not in the AFC, meaning Houston wouldn’t have to see Watson in the playoffs till the Super Bowl. (That would be a Belichick factor.) Because the Panthers are not flush with draft capital, I think they’d have to include a quarterback with some value and at least two very good veteran players. By the way: Cal McNair, I’m sure, would also love the fact that, if the NFL’s scheduling formula stays the same, Watson as a Panther would not play in Houston till the 2027 regular season. Cross-conference matchups happen every four years, meaning Carolina, which played at Houston in 2019, would host the Texans in 2023 and play at Houston in 2027. But that’s pretty low in the pecking order of factors in this trade. Very low.

Peter King Proposal: A 7-for-1 deal. Running back Christian McCaffrey, quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, receiver Robbie Anderson and first-round and second-round picks in 2021 (eighth and 39th overall), a first-round pick in 2022 and third-round pick in 2023 in exchange for Watson. Houston might push for the inclusion of 22-year-old pass-rusher Brian Burns as a vital part of any deal, which would be a tough giveaway for coach Matt Rhule. Of course, McCaffrey would be tough too.

#366 J.R., Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

• NEW YORK JETS. GM Joe Douglas is a big home-grown advocate, and I believe New York would chafe at doing a mega-pick deal for Watson because too many dyed-in-the-wool scouts there believe in building the team through the draft. But so many of the ingredients are there. The Jets would be able to jettison a quarterback with some interesting value, along with the second overall pick plus a trove of draft currency.

Peter King Proposal: A 6-for-1 deal. Quarterback Sam Darnold, defensive lineman Quinnen Williams, first-round picks in 2021 (second overall) and 2022 (the higher of New York’s two first-round picks), plus second-round picks in 2021 (34th overall) and 2023 in exchange for Watson. Caserio could turn the second overall pick this year into another ransom. But I’m just skeptical that Douglas would make this move. Obviously, he’d be thrilled to get Watson. But he knows he has a crummy overall roster and denuding his looming drafts I believe is too much for him to accept. One other factor here: With Houston in some cap trouble and the Jets with a monstrous $68 million in cap space per Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap, the Texans could ask the Jets to take the guaranteed $10.5-million 2020 contract of fading edge rusher Whitney Mercilus.

• SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS. San Francisco would be okay with entering 2021 with Jimmy Garoppolo as its starter. But no matter what Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch say, they can’t be totally comfortable with it. Garoppolo has missed 23 of the last 48 regular-season games with injuries. (Tom Brady has missed 15 games due to injury in 20 seasons.) And I’ll always wonder if the 49ers have the tiniest bit of buyer’s remorse for not putting the trigger on a deal with Brady last March. We’ll know when Brady (or Lynch or Shanahan) write a book in 15 years how close that came. But if the Niners could convince Garoppolo to waive his no-trade clause, I could see San Francisco being all in here, even though the Niners clearly would have to part with some major assets, perhaps including the young nerve center of their defense. Linebacker Fred Warner is such a rising star, however, that his re-signing in San Francisco in the next 12 months might affect the franchise’s ability to keep other great young players (Nick Bosa?) in house.

Peter King Proposal: Seven-for-1. Garoppolo, linebacker Fred Warner (that really hurts), tackle Mike McGlinchey, first-round picks in 2021 (12th overall) and 2022, plus a second-round pick in 2021 and third-round pick in 2022 for Watson. It’s a lot for the Niners to pay; of all the players in all the deals I’m proposing, Warner would be the most coveted one in my book. But he’s here because he is entering the final year of his rookie contract and would want a new deal. (McGlinchey is in exact same position, too.) Houston could view them as cornerstones for the rebuild.

Or . . .

• SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS/MINNESOTA VIKINGS. This is centered on the premise that San Francisco would not want to rip apart a team and a future, and might be willing to take a lesser deal for a quarterback Shanahan has long admired. And also that Caserio, in the heart of the draft room in 2014 when the Patriots made Garoppolo a second-round pick, would want to try again with Jimmy G. It’s a wing and a prayer, but fascinating to me.

Peter King Proposal: The Vikings send quarterback Kirk Cousins to San Francisco. The Niners send Garoppolo to Houston, if, of course, he’d waive his no-trade. The Texans send Watson to Minnesota. In return: the Niners send their first-round pick in 2021 (12th overall) to Houston, and they’re out. (So San Francisco would be trading Garoppolo and a one to Houston and getting Cousins with two years left on his contract.) The Vikings would send linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Alexander Mattison plus their first-round picks in 2021 (14th overall) and 2023, and second-round picks in 2022 and 2023 in exchange for Watson. Houston’s haul: Garoppolo, two ones this year, a one in 2023, and two second-round picks.

• MIAMI DOLPHINS. You’d hear a big, loud, “We’re not trading Tua if the Dolphins weren’t at least pondering Watson.” Why wouldn’t they be? It’s extremely hard, after seeing one year of Tua Tagovailoa, to think his mega-upside would equal the 2021 Watson. It’s logical to at least look into it.

Peter King Proposal: Miami trades defensive end Christian Wilkins, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, first-round picks in 2021 (third overall) and 2023, and second-round picks in 2021 and 2022 for Watson. In essence, Miami is trading the 13th overall pick in 2019 (Wilkins) and the fifth overall pick in 2020 (Tagovailoa), plus two ones and two twos for Watson. Advantage for Miami is the deal would leave the Dolphins with first-round and second-round picks this year and their first next year while giving them a quarterback to play on equal footing with Josh Allen in the AFC East for the next decade.

• THE OTHERS: Denver does have the ninth pick plus some good young pieces (Garett Bolles?) to offer, and a quarterback with minimal value in Drew Lock, so don’t count new GM George Paton out . . . Chicago would certainly be interested, but drafting 20th this year is a big negative, with no QB other than Nick Foles to deal; the lack of significant young talent to package is a negative too . . . Washington is intriguing because of its strong young defense, but WFT might have to trade off too much of what makes it an attractive future team—Chase Young and another promising youngster—a well as its three or four very high picks. Not impossible, but a major challenge, and I bet Houston would have better offers.

I can hear many of you now: Price tag’s too steep! You’re crazy! I’m not. If Watson gets traded, it’s going to have to include a gigantic package, maybe the highest price ever paid for a player in league history. It’s justified. Twenty-five-year-old franchise quarterbacks never come on the market. But the price isn’t for everyone. It may not be for the Jets.

If I’m Caserio, calming the waters now is the best plan. Over the next two months, you want to try every way you think might work to rebuild a bridge with Watson. But if it gets to the point that you can’t by late April, that’s when the best offers will be out there. Carolina might be the best option, willing to do the most to get Watson. The Tepper factor tells me that. After the draft, if the Texans still have Watson, there’s a danger of sitting on him and having a nightmare cloud over the franchise’s head—as if there’s not already one there.

JoeBarelyCares and Htown Legend like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Jets deal would still be the deal I’d want.
    Q, Darnold plus two firsts and a 2 and 3.
    Sam can get value up this year while Wilson learns.
    Trade Darnold next season.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Peter Jackson needs to loosen up his 1st round picks. Two firsts wont get it done especially with teams voting outside the top 5 picks.

Htown Legend likes this.
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I know its NY but dam they suck and if I am #4 I am not going there, I take Miami and live in the sun, plus the Fins are pretty dam good now.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but that doesn’t mean the Texans have to take that package. They would need to throw in a lot more than that. Those two players aren’t real assets like Q.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If they have a trade lined up with the Jets and DW says "no thanks"... i guess he doesn't really want to get out of Houston that badly??

Htown Legend likes this.
  13. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

So is it -

1. Watson wants to get out of Houston to any time? Even a loser.

2. He doesn’t want to get out of Houston?

3. He wants to only go to x, y, z teams?

I’ve heard McNair enthusiasts argue both 1 and 3.

14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

From the Athletic -

Monday, Feb. 22
    Texans sitting tight with Deshaun Watson — for now

According to Peter King of NBC Sports, at least two teams have sent the Houston Texans offers for Deshaun Watson, but neither got any feedback in response. In other words, the Texans are holding firm that they are not entertaining the idea of trading Watson at this time.

Of course, that could change as we get closer to the start of the new league year in March and then the draft in April. King proposed a number of potential trades involving Watson. The most intriguing was a three-teamer involving the San Francisco 49ers and Minnesota Vikings. The theoretical deal would have the 49ers sending Jimmy Garoppolo and a first-round pick to Houston. Kirk Cousins would go from Minnesota to San Francisco. And the Vikings would trade linebacker Anthony Barr, running back Alexander Mattison, two first-round picks and two second-round picks to Houston for Watson.

Until Watson states publicly that he’s willing to go back to Houston, the possibility of him sitting out games in 2021 remains. And the trade rumors will continue.

Shark44 likes this.
  15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Maybe he should let us know himself.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's no such thing as a McNair enthusiast. I'm still waiting for someone to point out an avatar that has been positive on McNair.

As to your question... nobody knows. Maybe ask Quincy?? He seems like he has the answers!!!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

I think I like this one better than the Jets. I would just flip garoppolo back to New England for their first.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm not really feeling any of the Peter King deals. Maybe if those are the initial offers, then we can add picks or change the players we could get there.

A team needs to decide this is too good of an opportunity to pass up and we want him to be our QB. Sounds like the Panthers (esp their owner) are there and will be willing to make a great offer (esp after losing out on Stafford). NYJ GM sounds too risk adverse. MIA has the assets and the team to put together a really compelling package.

What I'd be looking for in a DW Trade Package

- 3-4 1sts (the higher the better)
    - 2-4 2nds and/or 3rds
    - 2-3 really good young players (coming into their 2nd or 3rd years)
    - 1-2 players we can send to them for Cap savings (pass an older player or two to jump start rebuild)

Htown Legend and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Would need more picks.
    Teddy is a stop gap type, CMac has value but not timeline for a rebuild, same with Anderson.
    Burns is only player with long term value

Shark44 likes this.