1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Jan 28, 2021.

?

Which trade package do you like best?

1. NYJ

60 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. MIA

30 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. JAX

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Other (state your preference in a post)

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes and Miami or Houston isn’t giving him the max either.

So he’s riding out the season unguaranteed to go where he wants.

he could have a serious injury here and nobody would be shocked and nobody is giving him Klay money or even $25 a year if that happens hoping he comes back eventually and performs.

that’s the difference. He didn’t get what he wanted so said ok I’ll play it out.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed.

3. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

After seeing how holding on to harden affected the other players I would not like to start the season holding onto Watson with his heart not here. I don’t think Watson would go half ass like harden did in his games but I don’t want it to get ugly like the rockets were and now they are actually a good team to watch since the trade. I think the same is possible with the texans if this new GM is a legit GM

Sooty and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Not really sure you can say Harden went half assed. His first game of the season he and 42 and 17. He was playing great until Wall stepped on his ankle. I'm not sure he was healthy.

The team just didn't have an identity and kept losing before he offficially checked out. Watson probsbly does the same. It will depend on our record.

Sooty likes this.
  5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

So basically if DW gets what he wants and is traded then he'll be going to a team that's probably going to be in a worse position than the Texans are as far as surrounding him with good young talent since they will have traded their high draft picks for the next few years and a good young player or two. We saw this year how bad a team can still be with a star QB and not much else.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yep. That’s what makes the Jets the perfect trade package. DW wants them and they have the most to offer. This year’s two frp, this years 2nd round and next year’s 1st and 2nd plus Williams you do it immediately. Jets and our next year pick will be really high. Jets second rounders are pretty close to firsts this year and probably next year as well. Not sure Jets would throw in Williams, but would have to consider even without him. Of course, I would be banking on Wilson in this scenario and praying the Easterby doesn’t block him because of Mormonism, which is tragically considered unacceptable by many born again Christians and Catholics. I am praying that is not the case.

marks0223, JayZ750 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. JayZ750

three first, two seconds and Williams I would do. I would ask for more to start

Buck Turgidson and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Do any of the quotes talk about football? Actually coaching football? What is philosophy about going for it on 4th and 2? How did the receivers improve under him? What player became a pro bowler because of his coaching? Sure he is a great guy and speaks well. He is humble, honest, and positive. Sounds like a great guy. As a coach, we haven't a whole lot of positive there.

About Watson's comments. He goes out of his way to say positive about every coach he has. We have never heard him say anything negative. I'm sure he wishes well for all of them, doesn't mean he believes they can come up with a scheme to get running backs to average more than 3 yards per carry. Speaking of which, Culley would have been better served to get an OC who is more accomplished and can fix the problem with the run game. But no, they kept the guy whose run game was historically bad. Deshaun said great things about Kelly, but he also loved EB like you said. He spoke highly of Eberflus. I'm sure if you ask him about Mike Devlin he would also say nice things. Publicly. Privately is a different story.

He can succeed here with the Texans. He just doesn't want to because of the trust that was betrayed. And nothing has been done to rebuild it.

Red.Glare likes this.
  9. JayZ750

so basically it’s cool with your for DW to be a liar but not cool if other people betray his trust. Got it.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

How is he a liar? I didn't call him a liar. I said he speaks highly of all his coaches.

11. JayZ750

well if he doesn’t think highly of a coach but speaks highly of him then he’s lying.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Who says he doesn't think highly of them? I dont think he thought O Brien sucked. I dont think he thinks Tim Kelly was horrible. I'm sure just like everyone says nice things about David Culley, Deshaun can say nice things of his coaches. They are probably all nice people. I'm sure if I was on the coaching staff, the players would say nice things about me as a person; even if I coached the worst offense in the league. I may be wrong, but I dont think he was being dishonest. His problem with the Texans is not with the coaching; it is with ownership/management.

13. JayZ750

well there’s two choices.

he was either lying.

or he didn’t think Bill O’Brien sucked. I think the second choice might even be worse.

but even if not worse I’m not taking the executive hiring advice from someone that though Bill O’Brien was super solid, per the quotes I’ve provided. That person doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

IF -- and only if -- we really like either Justin Fields or Trey Lance, then I would do this deal. I personally do not like Fields. Trey Lance is a question mark at this point but definitely has high upside from what I've read and seen.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Trade down from 4 and get more picks and draft Mac Jones

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

ATL would have to move Matt Ryan but knowing the Texans, we’d probably take him on paying the dead money to DW4 and the remaining $115M on Ryan’s deal. Otherwise this wouldn’t be a bad haul.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We have BDN now no more O’Brien

19. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW If the Texans get a top 5 pick for Watson, I think they will take Trey Lance.

He is very religious and humble. He is a leader of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He teaches Bible study and helps teach Sunday school. He also is big on Christian charities.

He is exactly what the Texans want as a QB. He was not well recruited and has limited experience but he has arm talent and upside.

Nimo, J.R. and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What about Zach Wilson