1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Eli Manning? Derek Carr?? Marcus Mariota??? James Winston?????? Jimmy G?????????

Did they just use a dartboard for the rankings? All of the above are either way to inconsistent (Mariota can't string together 3 good games in a row), old (Eli sucks), Busty (Jameis got benched for Fitzception, and two weeks ago Mariota would be on that list) or are regressing way to hard (Carr, Bortles, Prescott) to be considered "Good".

Clearly they just assembled a ranking of most recognizable names from 2016, and ran with it.

To say that Mahomes is worse than Winston is an absolute joke.

Fulgore likes this.
  2. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Carr, Stafford, Wentz and Garoppolo ahead of Watson.....lol OK

Fulgore likes this.
  3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

KC's real weakness is their very terrible defense. In the playoffs, defenses win games and offenses tend to slow down. I simply don't fear KC as much as everyone is hyping them, especially if the Texans have a healthy defense with Cunningham, Cole, Colvin and J-Jo being ready for the postseason. Mahomes under pressure, has looked shaky - like in yesterday's game with Arizona, and Romeo would dial up the pressure for sure.

I also predict that they bring Kayvon Webster off of the IR rather than Kevin Johnson, and Kayvon Webster has a lot to prove and could be huge down the stretch too. If this defense is healthy, I put them up against every single team in the AFC any day of the week. The Rams or Saints on the other hand have much more balanced teams than either the Chiefs or Patriots so a Super Bowl matchup would likely put us as dogs, even if DW4 and the offense are in prime form.

4. Svpernaut

I think Stafford is an elite QB, who has been screwed by bad coaching and bad personnel. His career to this point reminds me a lot of Philip Rivers. If Stafford gets talent around him, he could easily be a top 5 QB. Carr, Wentz and Garoppolo haven't proven anything, so they have no right to be above Watson right now. Wentz and Garoppolo have tons of upside and potential like DW4, but I see Carr being no better than he has been and likely ending up with a career similar to Matt Schaub.

Right now, I think Watson is a top 10 QB if for no other reason than his mental makeup - but I wouldn't put him anywhere near top 5 right now, he just makes too many mistakes. With that said, he has the tools to be a top 3 QB, he just has to adjust his mindset to the NFL game. I could easily see him making a huge jump like Goff did after his first "full" year.

Top Tier, in order right now - meaning if I had one QB for a game who would I want:
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Rivers
    Luck
    Brady

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

To say anybody you just named is better than Mahomes is a joke. Whomever made that list should be fired

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think brightest young QBs are Wentz, Watson, Mahomes and Goff.

Those guys just have it and win games, their also all playing with a lot of talent so that helps but that also shouldn’t be held against them.

If I had to rate them right now Wentz would be Number one he was legit the best QB last year before injury and has been damn good coming back from the acl.

Mahomes so far would have to be number 2 and Watson and Goff at 3 and 4.

With that said Watson has the most potential because he’s the most dynamic in the pocket he’s super elusive like Rodgers it’s just a matter of him getting better and faster with his reads and knowing to get the ball out quick sometimes.

I do feel you on Stafford. He’s elite much like rivers. They just haven’t won enough to get the accolades and recognition but nfl ppl know how good they are.

I’m not big on jimmy G.

He won games so you can’t knock him but if you really look at his numbers they weren’t special.

To me he’s looked more like a top flight game manager than elite franchise QB.

Carr is just a okay QB he’s not Bad but he’s not great either.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I haven't watched alot of the lions game throughout the years but I don't know if I can consider Stafford as an elite QB, I might be mistaken but did he accomplish anything when he had Calvin..?? again am not familiar with the lions and Stafford's career
    as for the other points I fully agree

8. Svpernaut

In 2011, he had a 5,000 yard season with 41 TDs - 16 of which were to Megatron. In 2012 he had a 4,967 yard season and he's thrown for over 4,250 yards for seven straight seasons - with very little talent around him. Those numbers are even more staggering when you consider that he's never thrown over 7.87 yards per completion. He's also working on his 4th year in a row above 65% completion.

And his toughness as a rookie proved he was worth his salt to me.

ryano2009 likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I keep thinking back to 2014, when the Texans cycled through a slew of QBs, and how BOB and his staff would - week-to-week - redesign their offense to fit that QBs strengths. I was impressed. But I don't know that we've seen THAT BOB since. He blew the QB situation in '15, choosing Hoyer and Mallet over Fitzpatrick, and while I think the entire organization whiffed on Osweiler, and I'm content to give EVERYONE a pass... Osweiler was, nonetheless, terrible here in part because it felt like BOB simply didn't coach him or design around him.

He leaves much to be desired; I'm not the biggest fan. BUT...... he's been handcuffed this year. His OL is bad, his QB isn't healthy and now he has to coach without one of his key weapons. That's tough. AND.... he's getting it done. That Denver win was impressive, and I'm anxious to see them back on the field, hopefully healthy and rested. And, again, I'm stoked that Watson is likely to get a shot in the playoffs. Kid seems to rise to the occasion, so that should be fun.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They're just trying to piss us off. They don't believe this nonsense.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I will put Watson above them all because he should not have been able to do what he has done earlier this season with one of the worst offensive lines in the league. None of the so called tier one QBs could have done the same with our line.

14. Svpernaut

DW4's mindset is what sets him apart. Nothing phases him, he's always the same... which is an extremely rare trait not just for QBs, but for humans.

15. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Haven't seen it in the article anywhere but I would venture to guess the reason that Mahomes is down in tier 4 is because they probably won't rank anyone in the top tiers in their 1st half-season starting.
    Deshaun at least is in his 2nd year starting so there's been time to reflect and gameplan against him.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

17. Svpernaut

But the Texans run a conservative offense! For those that don't know, the out route is pretty much the least conservative route in football - because it is timed, and a "wide" route which means it sometimes goes 2, maybe 3 times further horizontally than vertically. You need a QB with great arm strength and vision teamed up with receivers that they've practiced with hundreds, if not thousands of times.

If you don't trust your QB and WRs to do their jobs, then the out route isn't going to be a part of your offense due to the threat of easy interceptions and pick sixes. Remember Schaub's downfall? He lost his out route timing for whatever reason. A huge reason that Osweiler didn't work in BoB's offense is because he is absolutely abysmal at out routes - and BoB loves out routes (because they can be used to augment the run game to open up the deep ball).

Keenum and Fitzpatrick on the other hand, are pretty damn strong at them because with what they lack in physical ability, they make up for in vision and mental quickness. They however, can't do 20-25 yard out routes like DW4 can, and does fairly regularly - especially with Nuk.

#797 Svpernaut, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I wasn't to crazy about his performance this past two weeks. Yeah we won, but like many have said, against good teams we would get smashed.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member