1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Desert SW trip

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CrazyJoeDavola, Oct 2, 2023.

1. CrazyJoeDavola

Leaving mid October for a 9 day road trip

Day 1 Phoenix - fly from Houston
    Day 2 Flagstaff
    Day 3 Vegas
    Day 4 Vegas
    Day 5 Richfield UT
    Day 6 Moab, UT
    Day 7 Breckenridge, CO
    Day 8 Breckenridge, CO
    Day 9 Dener - fly home

Things planned:

Grand Canyon
    Barringer meteor crater
    Zion National Park
    ATV tour in Moab (arches and canyonlands)
    Alpine Coaster in Breckenridge

Our time in Vegas is relatively open, will be staying at Golden Nuggett on Freemont so looking for something to do Friday and Saturday nights (no Cirque Du Soleil, don't that in Vegas years ago). Also looking for more things to do in Breckenridge (no skiing or gummies).

Thoughts?

ArtV and ROCKSS like this.
  2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Was in Breck earlier this year, gorgeous little town, everyone super friendly. In addition to skiing, did a bike tour with brewery stops, obviously there's hiking, shopping and other stuff to see.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Everyone dances with Zion/Bryce and Arches/Canyonlands while Capitol Reef is just sitting in a corner sipping ginger ale and the Henry, Abajo, and La Sal Mountains are off playing D&D.

The entire SE quadrant of Utah should be a national park. Just a remarkable geologic and prehistoric landscape.
    [​IMG]

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

dont sleep on bryce canyon. personally, i enjoyed it more than zion when i went (zion was super crowded).

canyonlands NP is amazing too. and goblin valley state park is another geological wonderland.

mesa verde cliff dwellings in SW colorado arent too far away from moab.

i just got back from a trip to taos and pagosa springs and while in pagosa i asked coloradans(?) what their favorite hot springs were. i was expecting them to say ouray, which ive never been to, but all of them said they liked pagosa best with strawberry springs being a close second. strawberry looks like its a couple hours from breckenridge if youre into that sort of thing.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You will be in Colorado during the season when the Aspens change their colors. I would recommend reevaluating your two days in Colorado.

Seems like a waste, given the season colors.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Have a country / rocky mountain music playlist

Big Iron from Marty Robbins when in Vegas for sure

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Drive up the Colorado from Moab for 10 miles or so--you're driving along the edge of Arches. Grandstaff Canyon Trail is along the way. You should hike it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, check out the Arch Canyon Overlook and Bears Ears in the Abajos/Manti-La Sal National Forest. Some incredible views across Canyonlands, Glen Canyon, and the Bears Ears National Monument.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hit the Goosenecks of the San Juan. You'll probably recognize it from tv and movies.
    [​IMG]

(If anyone is going to do more than drive by--like hiking, biking, or camping in the area--let me know and I'll tell you some secret places to go.)

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

This!

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lake Powell is pretty cool and one good thing about the long standing drought is that parts of the original Glen Canyon are visible again.

ArtV likes this.
  13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

You should plan to hit up Sedona some time in between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Spend as little time in Phoenix as possible and go straight up to Sedona when you land.

RedIsen likes this.
  14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was secretly hoping this was going to be a Jim Morrison-inspired thread. Ride the snake.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The area around Sedona is pretty maxing but Sedona itself struck me as a pricey and kitschy tourist town. I like Flagstaff as a town much more than Sedona.

TexasTofu, Sajan and Xerobull like this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

felt the same about my short time in Sedona.

I had a night in grand junction and visited this for sunset....what a surprise
    https://www.visitgrandjunction.com/day-colorado-national-monument

TexasTofu and rimrocker like this.
  17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Love the area. You’ll have a great time especially atving in Moab. Deadhorse Horseshoe Bend, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon are a couple more to add on your next trip there - you will return.

TexasTofu likes this.
  18. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

id maybe do Sedona over Flagstaff, youll get pllenty of moutains in CO. 4 corners area by far my favorite area in the us and its not even close

19. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Went to Zion last month, the week of Labor Day. Majestic landscape with some great views. It is a busy park, but it didn't feel too crowded. Visitors were respectful and good about pulling off to the side and letting people pass. If you're not getting to the park before like 8AM, expect to pay for offsite parking.

If you're hiking the Narrows, you can rent the proper socks and boots from the shop near the park. Really cool experience.

Angel's Landing requires a pass that you apply for the day prior, via lottery system. If you don't "win" the lottery you can still go up the trail to Scout's Landing. At the end there's a fork where you can go left instead of right (to Angel's Landing) where the view is pretty comparable with a lot fewer people.

I also went to Sedona in 2020. The town definitely has a rich, bougie side to it, but it still maintains a chill desert town vibe. They really play up the "mysticism" of the town, but I didn't mind it. Hiked around some vortexes, did the aura reading thing, and checked out some wineries in nearby Cornville. I enjoyed the trip more than I expected.

The only other city in AZ i've vacationed in is Scottsdale, which I didn't care for. Bachelor and bachelorette parties everywhere. It felt like a giant outlet mall.

20. CrazyJoeDavola

Good call on Sedona. It was amazing. Especially enjoyed the drive between Sedona and Flagstaff.

Moab was amazing. We took our AWD rental on the Potash Rd trail. Thrilling.

Utah is like another planet. The Jazz don't deserve that state.

ArtV and jo mama like this.