1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Desantis seeks to punish Disney for disagreeing with him

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 31, 2022.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if he was tweaking while tweeting. His poor kids. Their father is as like their Grandpa on crack, with an extra dose of Crazy Kimberly.

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Where to and what are the restrictions? Had Vietnam cancelled in 2020, and figured I'd skip Asia for vacation one more year.

peleincubus likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So does this mean there’s not going to be the crying game musical ??!!

4. tinman

Supporting Member

White bread or multgrain

@Os Trigonum

can bread be woke ?

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's looking like Viet, Laos, and Malaysia. I would sub out Japan for Viet/Laos if I could but that isn't happening (I read a NYT article that said their restrictions will go away and reopen tourism after their July elections, probably not before). $$ go way further there anyways so it isn't the worst thing.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

Disney world was way better back in the 90s
    @Jontro

ROXRAN and Jontro like this.
  7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

In my experience, money goes further everywhere other than Japan.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

lol

Having lived in NYC for a little under 2 years and visiting London 3 times. The first time I went to Tokyo, I was like "how much is that again?"

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also Disney has some amazing food including one of the only Master Sommelier's. The guy is ignorant AF.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most of SE Asia is open now. Singapore last October lifted mandatory quarantine requirements for US travelers and have recently lifted some other restrictions.

I hear Cambodia has lifted most restrictions and I've seen a few travel sites recommend visiting Angkor Wat now.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurie...t-time-to-go-to-cambodia-now/?sh=123cc89a2e37

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've been to Disneyworld and have zero interest in going again or to any of their other parks. That was my opinion last year before all of this came out and is still my opinion.

Again just because I don't like the FL law doesn't mean by extension I should support Disney and give them more of my money.

tinman likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

You see Captain EO at Epcot ?

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't care much for Disney either, but I think Republicans and the right are making a mistake trying to turn the country against Disney as "woke" - it's such an American icon. At some point they are going to go too far and lose most of the country.

They always need a villain to go after - but at some point, people have to see through it, right? Or not.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Nope.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Of course they want a villain. It makes it easier to fight a war.

I don’t know whether Disney is the right target for them to go after and I suspect that Disney’s brand and economic clout might make them a particularly hard target to go after. I also suspect that after the midterms we might not hear much about going after Disney.

Either way I don’t consider Disney a moral actor in this. I find the moves they are doing a lot of corporate CYA because they believe that is where the market is. They also fear that if they don’t they might face boycotts and protests.

#56 rocketsjudoka, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Disney is just an entertainment company but they are loved by the left and the right. They right is trying to put pressure on them to make them relent and pick their side of the debate - in a way Disney is trapped between the two sides. Ultimately, I don't think Disney is going to relent on this issue though, and the right pushing too far is only going to make Disney dig in as they have already decided what's best for the brand.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I will again say that the only thing that will matter whether Disney relents or not is whether it cost them money.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Disney. I won't try and change anyone's mind on the park experience, but the way they run their business is admirable.

They recycle rain water to use throughout the park. They have a whole system to recycle leftovers to help the declining bee population, they grow much of the produce used in their restaurants. That is very fresh.

They pay such attention to detail. They take care to make sure people waiting in line for the jungle riverboat cruise won't see space themed decorations from Star Wars. That is true of all of their rides.

They employ thousands of people to staff, clean, maintain rides, work in gift shops hotels, perform, run hotels, take tickets.

They do these things because they realize that it helps them. Being green, giving benefits to same sex coupes, is worthwhile for them. Being socially responsible isn't contradictory to making a profit.

Nook and Rileydog like this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I disagree on this one...in a way. They will sacrifice short term money for the longer term health of their brand. They really don't have a choice. It's not because they are a moral company, it's just they have too much invested in the communities.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.